Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mysql with linux

Options
  • 02-10-2006 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

is anyone here using mysql on linux? or more accurately, xampp on linux?

im running xampp on mandriva. im used to using the mysql console in windows to develop projects but i cant seem to get the hang of the console in linux, in particular, starting it! so how does one go about using the mysql console in linux? ps, ive googled and will continue to search but as of yet have not found anything solid which would show me how to use it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you trying to learn linux or mysql?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

What kind of console are you looking for?
    What do you use in windows?
    Is it part of mysql, or a 3rd party application?

Try launching a terminal from a menu, and then typing mysql.
    You might need mysql -p if you've a password set.

man mysql will show you how to use a different username or other options.
    If that's not what you're looking for, have a google for phpmyadmin.

Good luck,
    NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

@blacknight im not trying to learn either, im trying to start a console to create a database.

as mentioned im using xampp/lampp on mandriva. im logged in as root and the installation of lampp is fresh therefore i have not changed any passwords etc. phpmyadmin is functional. i want to use the mysql console to build my databases but i cannot access it. so my question is, how do i get the mysql console? mysql -u root -p does not work. i get mysql: command not found

@niallb the mysql console is part of mysql

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds like you haven't got all the required binaries installed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Try urpmi mysql-client
    The client is a seperate package to the server package, so xampp
    probably didn't include it.
    It's part of 'mysql', but not part of the mysql-server package.

Alternatively, if you installed xampp somewhere off the beaten track,
    the location of the mysql binary may simply not be on your path.

[EDIT] You can run any SQL command in phpmyadmin,
    so you could copy and paste your database creation script in there
    if you're losing a lot of time getting this sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

cheers niallb,

although ive already tried what you suggested, it didnt work, im going to try a fresh install... the client is installed but just isnt working. will try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

7aken wrote:
    i get mysql: command not found

If you're positive that the mysql client is installed, you mustn't have it in your path. (edit: beaten by NiallB) Try running it with an absolute path (e.g. /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql or whatever). If you don't know your mysql path, you could use 'locate' or 'find' to find it, or read through your init script (probably /etc/init.d/mysql or similar for Ubuntu). If this works, you can either add that path to your system path, or create a link in a directory that's already in your path (such as /usr/local/bin).

Advertisement