Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rival website

Options
  • 02-10-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭

got a leaflet through my door yesterday

http://www.charleslandresidents.com/

membership only €20 a year - someone trying to make a fast buck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I go the leaflet too.

I just went to the site and it looks incredibly amateurish, it has no contact or "About Us" details about who is running it, and the kicker -- my virus blocker kicked in because it identified something nasty trying to download when I opened the site.

I can't blame someone for trying out a business idea, but if the person behind this had done the required research he would have known there is a virtual graveyard of unviewed information portals and message boards dedicated to towns and estates, including Greystones, and they didn't even cost money to use.

Good luck I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

JamesP wrote:
    eoin_s wrote:
    James, the one link here is enough, please don't put it in every thread here.

Be very careful, that site has a virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

loyatemu wrote:
    got a leaflet through my door yesterday

http://www.charleslandresidents.com/

membership only €20 a year - someone trying to make a fast buck?

OK, I am trying to be quite impartial here - and also not pimp my own business (don't want Mike to ban me!)... But:

The design is pretty poor, and hard on the eyes - yet they have a link to a free web template site that they should have used in the first place.

The message board is hosted on another site, and only costs $42 per year. If you don't mind hosting your message board on another site, there are loads that would do it for free anyhow.

The hosting and domain registration for such a small site would be in or around €50 per year. In fact, had they done their homework, that price would have included a message board anyhow.

All that said, I could understand if they were charging business €20 for a listing, but charging would-be members that is a joke. They would only have to sell a couple of business adverts to break even anyhow. In fact, some google adwords would probably cover most the running costs alone.
    Plenty wrote:
    Be very careful, that site has a virus!

Thankfully, that page seems to be unavailable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So has this company "charleslandresidents.com" been registered with the CRO as a Business Name? Is this a limited company? Wonder who the directors are!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jabba90

go to cro.ie and check you can search company names..

• Advertisement
Advertisement