Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to dispose of used oil

Options
  • 02-10-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Any one got any good tips on how to dispose of used engine oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bubonicus wrote:
    Any one got any good tips on how to dispose of used engine oil?
    Some local authorities have oil tanks at lanfill sites for disposing of used oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Local recycling centre usually have a drum where you can pour it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I think the closest one to me is 30 miles away. I'm hard pushed to drive a 60 mile round trip to get rid of 4 litres of oil.

Any other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

It's free too.
    Roll up to the gate, tell the guy you have waste oil, and he has to let you in free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bubonicus wrote:
    Any other options?
    Plenty, but I presume you mean legitimate/ethical options. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Save it up in the container you got the new stuff in, and go when you have soemthing to do in the vicinity, or have enough saved to justify going.
    Its really really bad news for the environment to get rid of oil any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Try your local garage, some of them use it in their heating systems. They might be prepared to take it at no extra charge. The local authority has already been mentioned but if there is a closer bring center that doesn't normally take used oil, they may have collection days, once every 3 months or so when a truck comes around to take all the hazardous materials. Give them a call and find out but remember when it does come around, once the truck is full, it's full and they won't take any more so get there early.

bubonicus wrote:
    I think the closest one to me is 30 miles away. I'm hard pushed to drive a 60 mile round trip to get rid of 4 litres of oil.

Any other options?
    Put it into 2 2l milk cartons and leave it out for collection in your household rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

alias no.9 wrote:
    Try your local garage, some of them use it in their heating systems. They might be prepared to take it at no extra charge.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it is no longer allowed to burn used engine oil for heating purposes - it might be to do with air pollution laws - but I can't remember for sure.

But anyway, taking the oil to a local garage is a good option as they have a waste oil disposal tank. I'm sure some obliging dealer will help. Others may not be as helpful as they have to pay to have the oil taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gurgle wrote:
    Put it into 2 2l milk cartons and leave it out for collection in your household rubbish.

This is illegal. :rolleyes:

Motor oil is a hazardous waste, and hazardous waste cannot be put out with household rubbish.

See Dublin City Council's household waste bylaws for an example:

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/bye%20laws%20waste%20household%202001%20act_tcm35-38830.pdf

All other local authoriites have similar restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Buy a cheap electric spray gun and spray it on any bikes/lawnmowers/JCBs that you are putting into storage for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

According to Fight Club, you can use used motor oil as fertilizer*

*this may lead to toxic contamination of your soil

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Gurgle wrote:
    I think the chap is looking to be pointed in the right direction - not how to break the law!

atlantean wrote:
    I think the chap is looking to be pointed in the right direction - not how to break the law!
    Hence my first suggestion of bringing it to a recycling centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Mix it in with a sawdust and burn it, preferably with a few tyres it makes for a good blaze, great way of getting rid of branches etc, Myself and the father cut down a massive shot of trees, Mainly Oak and Ash for firewood last winter.

This summer we did a massive bonfire to get rid of the branches, a shot of old tyres a few gallons of waste oil mixed with sawdust and some diesel to light it, also if you have some household rubbish you could burn it too.

As for environmental laws who cares? The government are hiring out the Gardaí as bouncers to Shell in Mayo so it is not like they can claim to be above board either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

60 mile round trip to the nearest recycling point? Not a chance...
    drain1.gif
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

netwhizkid wrote:
    Mix it in with a sawdust and burn it, preferably with a few tyres it makes for a good blaze, great way of getting rid of branches etc, Myself and the father cut down a massive shot of trees, Mainly Oak and Ash for firewood last winter.

This summer we did a massive bonfire to get rid of the branches, a shot of old tyres a few gallons of waste oil mixed with sawdust and some diesel to light it, also if you have some household rubbish you could burn it too.

As for environmental laws who cares? The government are hiring out the Gardaí as bouncers to Shell in Mayo so it is not like they can claim to be above board either.

LMAO!!!

It could only be someone from kerry, you for real !!!! Things have changed

Advertisement