Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to make a nice stir-fry?

• 02-10-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

i was hoping one of ye guys have a guy method/recipe for a nice stir-fry(bearing in mind that i am a coeliac and need to make everything from scratch)

what i have.................

breast of chicken

soy sauce

mixed herbs

stri-fry veg(tesco's finest);)

so what else do i need to make it nice and how????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

some kind of stock (veg or chicken)

Your base should be some oil and some soy (depending on how much you like).

When that is nicely heated, add in your chicken and cook.
    When all chicken pieces are nearly white, add in veg and then add in stock.
    Low heat and occasionally stir. Serve when veg are cooked to your taste
    Add herbs towards the end of cooking

Done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stir-fried Chicken with Rice

Ingredients
    • 1 chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
    • 1 small onions chopped same size as the chicken
    • 1 small green peppers chopped same size as the chicken
    • 2-3 scallions, roughly chopped
    • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
    • 2 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
    • 1 small fresh chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
    • 2 tbsp stir-fry or sunflower oil
    • 1 tsp Chinese five spice
    • a few dashes soy sauce
    • a splash of dry sherry
    • whatever veg takes you fancy - maybe halved baby sweetcorn & mange tout?

Method
    • Prepare rice in advance
    • In the large pot or wok, heat the oil & add the chicken, garlic & ginger, chilli & five spice
    • Cook until no pink can been seen on any of the pieces – 5 to 10 mins
    • Now add the chopped veg (apart from the scallions) & a few dashes of soy sauce & some dry sherry if you have it
    • Mix through & cook for a further 8-10 mins
    • Now add the cooked rice & scallions & fry for another 3 to 4 mins
    • Serve with a further dash of soy sauce

This is a "dry" dish with little sauce - just a coating on the meat/veg. If you want, you could add some chicken stock to loosen it.

For a different taste - substitute the five spice for chili powder & the soy sauce/sherry for Tabasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you are a coeliac you shouldn't eat soy sauce, as it is fermented with wheat. There are lots of tasty stir fry sauces available in your supermarket to substitute for the soy.

You're ok with other soy products, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

cheers lads

i can't have stock cos its riddled in wheat unfortunatley,cheers for the info on the soya souce I DID NOT KNOW THAT,would ye be able to recommend any sauce that i could make from scratch for it,i could pop into tesco on the way home and pic up a couple of small bits if neccesary

tobasco sounds verrrry interesting indeed could compliment the chillis i'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Try making your own marinade with anything you think will be nice - I mash up plenty of ginger, garlic and chillis, then mix them with some honey, salt, pepper, Chinese Five Spice and maybe some apple or orange juice to loosen it.

Marinade your sliced meat in this for a half an hour in the fridge in a covered bowl or a small plastic bag, then cook in a hot wok until the chicken is lightly browned. Then add your vegetables (onion, pepper, babycorn, sugarsnaps, beansprouts, whatever) and cook them quickly (two minutes) in the juices and marinade so they remain crispy but absorb some of the flavour.

-- Otherwise just check your ingredients labels on ready made stuff in the Supermarket - I'm sure you'll have no problems finding some without wheat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

You can buy it at most health food shops (am wheat intolerant) the one i get is Tamari, not sure if this is the brand name or the product name.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

x-posted elsewhere but had to share the good news!

Dunnes now do a gluten free black bean sauce - Fantastic!! My wife has not had this for years as she is coeliac, and most BB sauces have soy sauce with wheat in them.

Cooked with it tonight and it was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I make a sauce with soy sauce, (wheat free of course....a lot of people don't realise that it's not suitable for coeliacs. The chinese restaurant I worked in had a warning on the menu.) tomato puree and a dash of water. I use loads of chili, ginger and garlic, which I put in after the veg have been cooking for a couple of minutes, then I put it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You could try Thai fish sauce and lime juice for an alternative to soy. Same principle - but a completely different flavour.

As for the tesco mixed stir fry veggies - I find the huge amounts of chunky onion overpowers the flavours of the other veggies.

Advertisement