Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Harry Potter must die"!

• 02-10-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Em, there s me thinking that an english woman named JK Rowling invented a fictional literary character called Harry Potter who for all intents and purposes was an annoying little boy who was half witch and half mortal human,a mugblood? if i remember from the movies.
    Anyways it transpires that a funded organised religon, funnily enough the same church that is featured in the movie Jesus Camp, believes and I quote here "Harry Potter should be Killed". He is a warlock, and therefore evil. Em did i miss the memo or are these people clearly insane?
    On a darker side they are responsible for an awful lot of young childern and it beggers belief that with such blatant footage of them essentailly abusing kids that they are still allowed to operate.
    In another scene that aired on the channel four news last night they brought in cardboard cutout of George Bush (and all the kids were doing their by now usual thing of rolling on the floor in some kinda demon outcast ritual) mid ritual they are encouraged to come and fondle the paper legs of GWB while the supervising adult who btw is a mammoth 20 stone and change type beast, shouts something along the lines of 'worship him'.
    Emm without sounding too dramatic here wtf is going on in the world?
    This is surreal to me. That people are funded and allowed to carry out such obvious cultism, lunancy and obsession without the rest of world instantly intervening and stopping it is a world that has truely lost the run of itself. People seem so infertile in this dawn of political correctness that the offical line form most quarters is "We have no comment to make on that as of yet" Incidentally the same people would have atheists killed aswell and I can't help thinking of and comparing the play 'the crucible' to the current situation we have in the world regarding extremism, religon and death.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If they kill Harry Potter who's going to fight the evil Lord Voldemort if he comes back?
    They obviously didn't think this through.

Welcome to freedom of religious belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

If they kill Harry Potter who's going to fight the evil Lord Voldemort if he comes back?
    They obviously didn't think this through.

Welcome to freedom of religious belief.

MOre curiously, how would one go about killing Harry Potter, he is a formidable opponent and if you actually did succeed I imagine there would be a fairly hefty lawsuit from Warner btohers for losss of future earnings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> did i miss the memo or are these people clearly insane?

Yes, they are. People have just got a bit confused in recent years between respecting a person's view and respecting a person's right to hold a view (without implying any respect for the view itself). If commentators were a bit more straight about pointing out madness, then perhaps we'd see a bit less of it! Wishful thinking, I know...

Anyhow, campaigning xians must have been at it hard all year to propel Harry Potter to the top of the challenged-book sweepstakes:

http://www.ala.org/ala/pressreleases2006/september2006/HarryPottermostchallenge.htm

Mind you, maybe it's not so surprising to see them worried about somebody else's clearly bogus story being taken seriously :)

robindch wrote:
    > did i miss the memo or are these people clearly insane?

Yes, they are. People have just got a bit confused in recent years between respecting a person's view and respecting a person's right to hold a view (without implying any respect for the view itself). If commentators were a bit more straight about pointing out madness, then perhaps we'd see a bit less of it! Wishful thinking, I know...

Anyhow, campaigning xians must have been at it hard all year to propel Harry Potter to the top of the challenged-book sweepstakes:

http://www.ala.org/ala/pressreleases2006/september2006/HarryPottermostchallenge.htm

Mind you, maybe it's not so surprising to see them worried about somebody else's clearly bogus story being taken seriously :)

It should be challenged for a sh1t book rather than anything else but you go...Jk Rowling is obviously evil trying to corrupt our young with moralistic disneyesque romps about the hardships of being an unique mugblood in modern day engerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

stevejazzx wrote:
    It should be challenged for a sh1t book rather than anything else but you go...Jk Rowling is obviously evil trying to corrupt our young with moralistic disneyesque romps about the hardships of being an unique mugblood in modern day engerland

So easily do we forget that the current pope also had the same thing to say about Harry & Co. Do we have a conspiracy yet?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

stevejazzx wrote:
    In another scene that aired on the channel four news last night they brought in cardboard cutout of George Bush (and all the kids were doing their by now usual thing of rolling on the floor in some kinda demon outcast ritual) mid ritual they are encouraged to come and fondle the paper legs of GWB while the supervising adult who btw is a mammoth 20 stone and change type beast, shouts something along the lines of 'worship him'.
    Emm without sounding too dramatic here wtf is going on in the world?

People are insane and stupid. Never forget that. And they always will be. Well, 'always' for all intents and purposes. The capacity to engage in fanaticism and hero worship and to mindlessly hate "other" is hardwired into our brains. I am never suprised when I hear about people doing stuff like this, evolutionarily it makes perfect sense.

Tribe A meets tribe B. They fight. Tribe A begins madness cult that brainwashes their youth into being super fanatical warriors. Tribe B does not. Tribe A kills the men, takes their women and moves in. Repeat until civilisation.

Now we have the remnant dregs of those genes.

> Repeat until civilisation.

<grin> I take it you've read Jared Diamond then :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Zillah wrote:

And probably will continue to have them for many years to come.
    Most of the earths population is stupid, with a tiny percent dragging us along with them as their intellects shine through their inventions and thoughts.

Zillah wrote:
    People are insane and stupid. Never forget that. And they always will be. Well, 'always' for all intents and purposes. The capacity to engage in fanaticism and hero worship and to mindlessly hate "other" is hardwired into our brains. I am never suprised when I hear about people doing stuff like this, evolutionarily it makes perfect sense.

Tribe A meets tribe B. They fight. Tribe A begins madness cult that brainwashes their youth into being super fanatical warriors. Tribe B does not. Tribe A kills the men, takes their women and moves in. Repeat until civilisation.

Yes, it's hunting witches that don't exist or what Goerge Orwell said about a country always needing to be at war, these people need to always be at war with something. Religon has given the excuse and they intend to use it.
    About tribal instincts, I certainly attribute the dregs of these genes as a contributing factor in violent crime and maybe here too but there seems to be a little more to it than that. The people are empty without their fight. Soulessness, or as in fight club this generation has no great war, spirituality is our great war, meaning finding sense in life.

robindch wrote:
    > Repeat until civilisation.

<grin> I take it you've read Jared Diamond then :)

No! :)

But upon a little research it looks like I really should. He has written such books as "Why is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality" and "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed."

*heads to amazon*

• Advertisement

> He has written such books as [...]

The one you'll want is "Guns, Germs and Steel". A cracking good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wait until Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' books get onto the big screen, if Potter upsets them then they will just love these.

I love his idea of God, it really puts an axe into all those God either exists or doesn't type arguments. In his universe, God exists but is a liar and fraud, who found the universe and claimed he created it. Brilliant!

http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/news/his-dark-materials-movies/item/pullman-films-set-to-trigger-cries-of-blasphemy

pH wrote:
    In his universe, God exists but is a liar and fraud, who found the universe and claimed he created it. Brilliant!

Ha! Brilliant indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote:
    Wait until Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' books get onto the big screen, if Potter upsets them then they will just love these.
    My fav books ever - I have a copy of the hardback trilogy signed by Pullman!

It will be years before the final and most "challanging" book hits the screen. I fear that the voice of the Christian right will have only gotten louder by then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was quite amused to see Dawkins comment on Pullmans work and D. Adams also :)

Advertisement