Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss

Options
  • 02-10-2006 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to treat lawn moss?

Last year I used some kind of "autumn weed&feed with mosskiller" but it didn't do a very good job. The moss came back with avengance after winter, although once the grass got going, it kept the moss down over summer. But now it's taking over!

This time I want to use something stonger and more specific to killing moss, and my neighbour told me it's best to wait until after the winter. However, the moss has grown so fast over the past month that it's engulfed the grass in places making it really difficult to mow the lawn the last couple of times - the moss just hampers the blade spinning.

Can I get something and treat it now?
    We have a large half-acre garden, so any treatment work is a major effort and expensive. I'd rather not have to spend lots of extra time also doing stuff like having to rake out the moss and/or aerate the soil and/or treat with sand, or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used a 3 in 1 lawn feed and moss & weed killer. I put it down last April and it killed all the moss (not the weeds tho). It comes as granuales in bag and you just scatter it across the lawn. IIRC, its made by Golden Vale and you can get in Woodies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gwynston wrote:
    .I'd rather not have to spend lots of extra time also doing stuff
    You can't have it both ways! :).

Moss is a symptom of a deeper problem. Using moss killer is not enough. You need to correct the cause. Waterlogged lawns almost always develop moss

1. Scarify and aerate the lawn.
    2. Apply lawn sand in the spring.
    3. Feed the lawn regularly in the growing season.
    4. Mow at the correct height - too short will lead to moss invasion.
    5. Water the lawn during dry weather.
    6. Apply moss killer in the autumn.
    7. If your lawn is over-acidic, treat with lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Thanks for the reply.
    That's very useful advice, even if I don't want to hear some of it.... ;)
    1. Scarify and aerate the lawn.
    What does scarify mean? How do I aerate such a big area? I'm not likely to go over the whole thing with a fork - I'll be there till Christmas! :eek:
    2. Apply lawn sand in the spring.
    Again, how easy is it to do this to a big area, and how much sand would I need?

To aerate using a petorl machine check here or by hand check here. Scarifying can be done with a gizmo like this.
    I imagine that you'll need the petrol version of the aerator given the size of you lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

crosstownk wrote:
    To aerate using a petorl machine check here

My God, the buggers know how to charge for it. €97 per day!!!

Good job you're in Galway. You would pay no more than €40 per day in my part of the island, a little more than 100 miles from d'other side.

• Advertisement

denismac wrote:
    My God, the buggers know how to charge for it. €97 per day!!!

They certainly know how to charge alright. I was just using the photos as examples of the machinery involved - not to promote any particular hire company. Like everything - shop around first!

Advertisement