Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Q = Sat Position & Art Sport

• 02-10-2006 11:27am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    Spent weekend setting up my new Technomate 1500 c+ Super and 90cm dish.
    I have a Diseqc motor but decided to see if I could get any dishes without the motor as it is heavy enough!

So I had the portable inside the window and started pointing the dish to the sky, no joy for the first hour, god its gas how daft a man who has not a clue can be :o
    Anyway on Saturday evening I managed to pick up 30 Deg W, Intersat or something like that, the dish was on the ground against the wall and supported by timber either side.
    I thought that if 30 Deg W is pointing in a certain direction, that 13 deg E for the Hotbird (& Art Sport) had to almost directly behind me or so. Que the pointing of dish east!! and suprise suprise no luck!

Spent night look at some daft channels on 30 Deg W.

So then I went on internet and found a map of where the sats are, on Lynsat.

Went out again last nite and using the map I had a frenzy of more slower movements and actually reading the quality readings off the Satellite finder section on the Technomate.
    Low and behold I began to find satellites. I think I picked up about 6 or so. The one I wanted was the Hotbird on 13 Deg East. Eventually and still with the dish sitting on the ground I found it. Well only got it at 70% quality but it was grand to watch the PL highlights on Art and Kill Bill 2.

SOoooo after that summary, based on what sats I have found, the 30 Deg W and 13 Deg E, does my dish need to high off the ground to be able to mount it?
    Our gable is facing west so I think that mounting it on the gable is a no no as I don't think the dish can swing enough to pick up the sats in the East.

I thought that a sat dish needs to be up high about the ground, is this not the case?
    Eircom put up a mast (a scaffolding pole) on the gable and above the pitch of the roof, could I use this or would it be took weak?

Since I have picked up 30 Deg W is there much turning to pick up the rest of the dishes further up the scale?
    Also same Q for the Easter satellites.

As regards Art Sport, is there no commentary with this? I presume if a Movie is dubbed, you cannot chnage the language of this using the Technomate?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

ART movie channels only carry the arabic soundtrack :(

Sports however use the audio button on yer remote and select english.

The dish can be ground mounted if you like as long s there are no real obstructions in the way. As in you have a clear line of sight to the satellite.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Ronan.
    I will have to source a scaffolding pole or something and brackets from some where to mount it on the ground.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

or even a ground or patio mount? They can be got and they are good. If putting a motor on the pole, Make sure it is plum (Straight) Other wise the motor will not arc properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

plumb

The other is yummy fruit. But I should talk? I can't hardly spell anythink

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

snaps wrote:
    or even a ground or patio mount? They can be got and they are good. If putting a motor on the pole, Make sure it is plum (Straight) Other wise the motor will not arc properly.

Thanks snaps, where could I get a hold of one of them, I got a wall mount with the full package, I might be able to use this as a base.
    I think getiing a ground mount in Mayo could be hard!

watty wrote:
    plumb
    The other is yummy fruit. But I should talk? I can't hardly spell anythink

Looder!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement