Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wont guarantee a line they install will work with broadband

Options
  • 02-10-2006 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bet I'm not the first to highlight this frustration and I doubt I'll be the last either.

I want to get broadband, but don't have a phone line. So I need to get a phone line installed. As far as I can see anyway, Eircom are the only people who can install the line. (Is this right?)

Eircom tell me that they will install the line, but can't guarantee that it will work with broadband. I told them that I only want the line for broadband so there's no point in installing it if it won't work with broadband. They said it will have to be installed first, then I have to apply for broadband and they come out and test it. Ludicrous. :rolleyes:

So I asked them if they will remove the line and refund the install charge if it doesn't work with broadband. No, of course not. :rolleyes:

What can I do about this? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

eircom is firmly stuck in the past and don't really have to change as they have a monopoly on fixed lines.

The only alternative is to go with a wireless provider which is also often cheaper. They do a signal test on the spot and won't install if the service doesn't work. The only problem is that many wireless providers are cack for other reasons.

If you let us know where you're at, we can give more specific advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, I read about many people's bad experiences with wireless. Anyway, from what I can see it's not an option where I am. Cable isn't available either.

I thought I remembered reading somwhere that someone got them to either guarantee it would work or else remove the line and refund it if a subsequent test failed.

I spoke to a "supervisor" and asked what would he think if he asked a plumber to install water pipes and the plumer told him he could install the pipes but couldn't make any guarantees about suitability for water and would have to come back later to test the pipes for water carrying purposes. He couldn't see how that was analagous at all.

Is the regulator still a lone incompetent person btw?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

well there are 2 classes of guarantee

1. That all works will be high quality and broadband is ensured. Requires own copper path and checking of joins and insulation. They will not do that unless you are teh taoiseach or president ..or an eircom employee.

2. That they will not deliberately share any part of the copper path with anyone else at any stage which will guarantee that you will NOT get broadband . This is what is called a carrier or parigain.

You may be able to get them to go with guarantee 2 , that you are not on a carrier line so that you may possibly get broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If your neighbors can get broadband then there is good chance you will too. Your just going to have to make a gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

IrishRover wrote:
    Eircom tell me that they will install the line, but can't guarantee that it will work with broadband. I told them that I only want the line for broadband so there's no point in installing it if it won't work with broadband. They said it will have to be installed first, then I have to apply for broadband and they come out and test it. Ludicrous. :rolleyes:

So I asked them if they will remove the line and refund the install charge if it doesn't work with broadband. No, of course not. :rolleyes:
    In fairness, if there's no phoneline in the house at the moment, there are considerable costs involved in getting a line into the house. Eircom will only charge you €121.93 of those costs. If you later decide that you don't want the line, they can't recoup those costs. And they can't test a line for broadband before it's in place.

As Uncle Sam says, if all of your neighbours phone lines pass, then it's likely that yours will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Foxwood, that isn't necessarily accurate. A lot of the time, there is a phone line already in place, but Eircom will refuse to do a line test no matter what.

Foxwood, that isn't necessarily accurate. A lot of the time, there is a phone line already in place, but Eircom will refuse to do a line test no matter what.
    If there's already a line in place, then it's free to have it "connected". And if it's a disconnected line, and you know the number that it used to have, then it you can check whether it's passed yourself.

The "Line test" is a purely automated process - every line that's connected to an enabled exchange is tested on a periodic basis. Eircom won't do a "manual" test under most circumstances - and they won't spend money to do one for free.

Eircom still aren't in the business of selling DSL - they sell phone services, and will happily take extra money off people who want to pay extra for DSL. If you can't get DSL on your line, they aren't going to shift themselves to look for the problem, never mind fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. They will try to charge even if there is a line..

Complain and refuse to pay:
    Then they will ask is there a soft tone, they see if old number is still available, if not they will ask for reconnection fee.

I rang up a every few days and said I would not pay re-connection (I had had account previously on the line). Eventualy they dropped the charge.

But they will do their best to charge for connection.

if there is a line in the house and a socket then the connection is free until the 27th november

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

(page 11 of that)

also applies if its a new house that is wired but never had a service

if there is/was no wiring its €121 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If the line has been disconnected but you know the number, Eircom will refuse to give you the results. Even if you type it into the online line checker. I know this because I have personally tried to find out if a disconnected line, where I knew the number it used to have, passed.

Rang Eircom. Reconnection is free/cheap, but I'd still be down the line rental to have it tested if it fails.

• Advertisement

i think a disconnected line is in the checker for 3 months and is then discarded from the checker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

just get BT.

BT are everywhere eircom are. they will connect you and you can disconnect it after a few days when they check the line. so maybe need to pay like 10 days line rental 7 euro or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you let us know where you're at, we can give more specific advice.

For some strange reason he won't divulge that info. You have to guess, apparently! But be assured - he DOES want your help, but he just wants to make it difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EircomAgent

Foxwood wrote:
    If there's already a line in place, then it's free to have it "connected". And if it's a disconnected line, and you know the number that it used to have, then it you can check whether it's passed yourself.

The "Line test" is a purely automated process - every line that's connected to an enabled exchange is tested on a periodic basis. Eircom won't do a "manual" test under most circumstances - and they won't spend money to do one for free.

Eircom still aren't in the business of selling DSL - they sell phone services, and will happily take extra money off people who want to pay extra for DSL. If you can't get DSL on your line, they aren't going to shift themselves to look for the problem, never mind fix it.

Its €24.99 to reconnect the line its not free

dude , its free until mid november , did nobody tell the CS ??

read current eircom special offers here :D

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

both reconnect (soft dialtone or not ) and in situ (line in new apartment but first connection on it) are free free free at present.

You serious lol, ha on our systems it shows up as 24.99. and have been advised to tell the customer is will cost 24.99 if its not insitu its 49.99 and a new line 121.93

Its €24.99 to reconnect the line its not free
    Go to www.eircom.ie. Click on "Products & Services", and then click on "Phone Lines". Now tell me how much the Free reconnection costs.
    If your home previously had an eircom home phoneline and you want to reconnect your eircom home phoneline, or all line work is in place, the connection will be FREE

its free for the "return path" if your return to eircom from another company yeah if you read it but if you line is there and your not with a company the connection charge is 24.99 like i said :)

Foxwood wrote:
    Go to www.eircom.ie. Click on "Products & Services", and then click on "Phone Lines". Now tell me how much the Free reconnection costs.

Eircom online offer free if you order online, . not if you ring us to reconnect it

<me kinda stays out of this now Foxwood is here >

but if you 'return' you are already connected and cannot avail of a connection your already have ??

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    <me kinda stays out of this now Foxwood is here >

but if you 'return' you are already connected and cannot avail of a connection your already have ??

Yeah exactly, I was jsut saying that on the article you showed me it says that the return path is free but the connection is 24.99

Eircom online offer free if you order online, . not if you ring us to reconnect it
    The Terms and Conditions don't say anything about having to order online:
    Be Connected for Free Terms and Conditions

eircom phoneline

Offer is applicable where all line work is completely in place for PSTN
    connections only. Free offer valid on orders made between 28th August and 28th November
    2006. The offer is not available to PSTN lines ceased within the promotional period.

what is the 'definition' of "a return path" in this case ???? its a satellite term usually to differentiate between one way and two way

Strictly it means the path from client to server which may be different from the path from server to client eg one way sat in and return path over dialup out

Sponge Bob wrote:
    what is the 'definition' of "a return path" in this case ???? its a satellite term usually to differentiate between one way and two way

Strictly it means the path from client to server which may be different from the path from server to client eg one way sat in and return path over dialup out

Return-PAth Exchange line is a connection to the eircom network for customers who have had service provided via unbuundled Local Metallic Path and wish to have exchange line service provided by eircom retail. Includes the proting customer's telephone number if required.

So its a reverse LLU special offer including reverse number portability , my my my what exquisite timing :D

Must read that special offer doc again later.

Sponge Bob wrote:

EircomAgent is reading page 6 of the Offer document you referred to.

The Free reconnection offer is listed on Page 11.

had not seen that reverse LLU offer, so the Smart crash the company /winback campaign was planned for sometime after August 28th then Foxwood ..would you surmise.???

I don't ever recall a reverse LLu offer from eircom before this one .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    had not seen that reverse LLU offer, so the Smart crash the company /winback campaign was planned for sometime after August 28th then Foxwood ..would you surmise.???

According to the Sunday Tribune, eircom informed Comreg at the beginning of September that they'd be disconnecting Smarts customers. The timing of the offer seems rather convenient, al right.
    I don't ever recall a reverse LLu offer from eircom before this one.
    They've never had a "forward" LLU offer either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

My, my, my.....how things change.

There was a phone line in my rented apartment when we moved in, and eircom's tests consistently failed.

Back then, I was told that I could try getting them to install a new line for €190, but I also got the "we can't guarantee that it will fix the problem - you might be too far from the exchange".

Then, along come Smart and they get it working first-time, no work required at the apartment, only at the exchange, and the only minor annoyance was the fact that I had to change the phone number......no €190 charge, and guaranteed broadband that was much faster and cheaper per month!

Just imagine what the business take-up would be if you could (a) guarantee that the line would be capable, which Smart did (and they were right!), and (b) that you didn't have to change your number.

With that thought in mind, I'm off to bed to have some sweet dreams about a paradise where these things do happen......will have to have a reality check in the morning, though :(

Now we have all sorts of offers from eircom including reverse LLU, cheaper installation, number portability, etc, etc.....isn't it amazing what someone will do when their monopoly is challenged ?

I'm actually really, really glad that they still can't guarantee broadband, because otherwise having done their hatched job on their main competition they'd have everything their own way! They'd then start reminding me of the kid in the playground that owned the ball....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've had that problem every house i've tried to get broadband connected in, but eircoms the only fixed line BB provider in Wexford so what else can I do?

Just have to grin and bear it sometimes.

Advertisement