Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no wireless signal, please help

• 02-10-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi, basically i have a pc and a laptop. One day i changed the internet protocal properties on my pc to suit bittorrent. I also enabled WEP security on my router . So now my laptop cannot recieve a signal (whereas before i made changes it could). I have probably made a newb mistake so if ya can help please do :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

weedhead wrote:
    Hi, basically i have a pc and a laptop. One day i changed the internet protocal properties on my pc to suit bittorrent. I also enabled WEP security on my router . So now my laptop cannot recieve a signal (whereas before i made changes it could). I have probably made a newb mistake so if ya can help please do :confused:
    You haven't told us what internet protocal properties you've changed, so it'd be a bit hard to guess what you broke. (You don't need to change any internet protocal properties on your PC for bittorrent).

Enabling WEP will obviously prevent your laptop from talking to the router unless you also enable WEP on the laptop. And you really shouldn't be wasting your time with WEP - use WPA whenever it's an option. But before you start working on that, just turn WEP off and make sure that your laptop can still access the internet once you have encryption turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

yep ive done that and the laptop still recieves no signal. So im guessin its what i did with the protocal properties. O and my torrents are coming really fast now that i made my ip static (by changing the protocal, 230 kbs). so im not really what i have to do

weedhead wrote:
    yep ive done that and the laptop still recieves no signal. So im guessin its what i did with the protocal properties. O and my torrents are coming really fast now that i made my ip static (by changing the protocal, 230 kbs). so im not really what i have to do
    No, your torrents are coming real fast because you opened the ports on your router. You don't need to set a static IP address to take advantage of that, because your PC is going to get the same "dynamic" address every time it asks for an address, unless you've got loads of PCs.

If you disabled encryption and you still don't get a signal on the laptop then either your laptop is broken, or your router is. Bring the laptop to a hotspot somewhere, or to a friend who has wi-fi, and see if you can get a signal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Right i took your advice, and i obtained ip address automatically. I then opened utorrent and it showed i had no port open, i wasnt getting a good speed. O and i also wasnt able to get the signal on my laptop. I know it sounds stupid but it does have something to do with the portforwarding. I think my laptop might just be broken. THanks anyway Foxwood

weedhead wrote:
    Right i took your advice, and i obtained ip address automatically. I then opened utorrent and it showed i had no port open, i wasnt getting a good speed. O and i also wasnt able to get the signal on my laptop. I know it sounds stupid but it does have something to do with the portforwarding. I think my laptop might just be broken. THanks anyway Foxwood
    When you set your machine for dynamic addressing, you need to check what address you have been assigned, and forward the ports to that address. The reason that you don't need to set a static address is because your "dynamic" address is effectively static anyway.

Note that uTorrent supports UPnP, which means that if UPnP is enabled on your router, uTorrent can manage the port forwarding for you, without you having to set it manually. (While there are those who argue that UPnP is a bad thing on a router, if uTorrent had used UPnP to open your ports for you, you wouln't have wasted time figuring out how port forwarding broke your laptop).

• Advertisement
Advertisement