Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest texts and calls to/from uk?

• 02-10-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I talk/text a girl in uk and was wondering of recommendations as to networks or price plans to bring the cost down. Right now i have an 085 prepaid phone but don't mind changing to anything nor does she.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

If you have internet access you can use www.smsgeezer.com for 8c a text to UK. I think O2 have free webtext service to UK.

Are you talking about landline or mobile calls? Esat BT and UTV do free Irish landline to UK landline calls.

For mobile calls I signed up with www.blueface.ie, they have a pay as you go service. You call their 01 number, so your "free" minutes on your mobile tarrif cover that. Blueface then charge 10c a minute off peak or 22c peak to call UK mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I meant mobile but i will check out esat/utv and most likely change it. Thanks for the information :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

For SMS there are any number of options out there.

For calls, one option is Telesavers from your mobile - you dial a 1520 number then are prompted for the number you want and it connects you. Depending on your opco, you'll be charged 20 - 30 cent p.m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

If you switch to O2 you get 250 free international texts from the web.

You can use these international texts from your phone if you download AFT (free java application for phones, see thread on main page). Each text will cost you about 0.25 cents (100 times cheaper than sending normal texts to the uk).

AFT also works for meteor and vodafone, but they don't have free international webtexts (only national)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

if you've used all your free web texts, check this or this out for international texting

O2 have best value 1520 calls and check this out for calling

Receiving texts is free so the person in UK could carry around a second Irish O2 prepaid mobile to receive texts and to send texts at 5c/kb using AFT (see here) or roam on Orange UK with Vf handset at 7.4 c/ kb you could have a UK mobile

• Advertisement
Advertisement