Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical socket network solution for BB

Options
  • 02-10-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Has anyone here used one of those adaptors which allow
    ethernet traffic to pass through the house electrical
    wiring circuit ? I'm asking because my brother in law
    (UK based) suggested it as a solution to my father in law
    who has BB in an upstairs room and its getting messy
    to route telecoms cables upstairs.

I looked at Maplins UK site and the item seems to cost
    79UKStg (two plug adaptors). That's not that cheap
    considering the cost of wireless network adaptors etc
    nowadays.

Any comments, advice ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it can cause interference, you are normally better with 2 x wifi usb dongles in AD HOC MODE ...eg they talk to each other and only each other for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The stuff works reasonably well and can be used in multiple rooms etc..

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/MFR/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3478

Thats an example of the 200mbps one (Though expect real life thoughput to be a _lot_ lower (Less than 50mbps - especially if you fit more than 2 of them).
    More than enough for BB distribution around the house, encryption can be enabled for added security although someone would have to have access to the power cables inside your house to do anything in any case.

Make sure you go with the HomePlug-AV stuff, the 1.0 stuff is a lot slower and generally dont perform any qos or encryption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm using two Devolo units. They're rated at 85Mb/s and I'm getting close to that throughput with encryption enabled. Wireless is cheaper but slower. It depends on what you need to transfer. I tried wireless (802.11g) before to stream video and I got the odd glitch. Haven't had one yet with the plugs.

If it's just for surfing or transferring the odd file then it's probably better to go wireless.

Advertisement