Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Landline

Options
  • 02-10-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

We have been waiting for Eircom to install a line to my brother's new house . Its in the country side , unusually the phone cable running along the road is buried beside the ditch . They were ment to connect this morning but phoned to say that they couldnt as they needed a contractor ( to excavate 50cm of clay:rolleyes: ) to reach the cable .
    As we have been waiting for 2 months , we spoke to this guys boss and were told that there was no need for any excavation as they would install a wireless connection from road to house .
    Finally my question , what impact will this have on the chances of getting broadband ? Others in area have BB , 4km from enabled exchange.
    Pjq

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no chance of getting broadband at all on that. about 12k dialup would be the best you will ever get.

can you easily run a cable to the road for them if you need broadband ??

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

Called Eircom today , they are reluctant to connect us to the underground cable on cost grounds . From our point of view , if we accept this slow wireless , we will never get normal cost effective BB .

Any ideas on how we can press our case .

PJQ

pjq wrote:
    Called Eircom today , they are reluctant to connect us to the underground cable on cost grounds . From our point of view , if we accept this slow wireless , we will never get normal cost effective BB .

Any ideas on how we can press our case .

Eircom must spend up to €7000 on any single connection before they can start to bill you for the surplus. The way eircom does this is by internally charging itself at €300 a metre for the cable dig...even in soil only with no road to restore so its "unreasonable" after 22 metres of digging . Once its "unreasonable" they can use cheap crap instead.

If you present eircom with a dug shallow trench ...with or without cable .... you can then press Comreg to make eircom complete a "REASONABLE REQUEST" for a phone line because eircom cannot load silly costs that do not exist onto the line installation which thereby pushes it above €7k

Comreg also believe that its reasonable for you to wait up to a year for the line so they will try to do nothing until 1 year after the request is acknowledged in writing by eircom. You may be sure that eircom did not write to your brother refusing him, some lad hopped out of a van and verbally told him instead . This crap is always verbal.

Try getting clarification on this from Comreg through consumerline@comreg.ie on what is a reasonable request. if the trench is dug and you email a photo that would be a great help so it would.

Also annoy your local TD and write to your local paper about it. Country people have a right to know it takes a year and that they should order the irphoneline when the digger goes onsite to dig the foundation.

Eircom have admitted they have copper along the road outside which is a good start. Once you deal with the 'trench' issue you will be fine.

Thanks for that , I will follow up.
    We have a 25mm black pipe buried under the lawn with a rope inserted to pull the line through to the junction box on the outside wall of the house , we are within 20cm of Eircom cable .
    We called Eircom more than a year ago and were told "call back 3 weeks before house move" , we should have ordered online !!

pjq

pjq wrote:
    Thanks for that , I will follow up.
    We have a 25mm black pipe buried under the lawn with a rope inserted to pull the line through to the junction box on the outside wall of the house , we are within 20cm of Eircom cable .

then its a 20cm dig . photo the pipe and rope and email consumerline@comreg.ie with that attached
    We called Eircom more than a year ago and were told "call back 3 weeks before house move" , we should have ordered online !!

Your "reasonable request" for a line is over a year old .

I must warn you that Comreg are the most useless waste of time that ever called itself a regulator so be very very very very firm with them. If eircom are not out to install by end next week complain to TDs and local papers about comreg and eircom and make sure you stress the one year wait for a line in rural Ireland

cable only costs about €1 a metre no matter what voodoo accounting eircom tries.

• Advertisement

In October Eircom ( or rather their engineer ) promised to connect within 2-3 months . I called today and was told that the County Council are witholding "way leaves " from Eircom in a dispute over the colour of the maps!!! Other CoCo's are doing same , notably Fingal .
    Questions
    1. Is this Bull ? Knowing the Co Co and Eircom , its quiet plausable .
    2. Do they actually need "way leave" to dig in the ditch on our side of the road , there is no need to cross the road .

PJQ

PS Comreg are only good for the easy questions , "eircom are
    obliged to offer lines to customers but they are not held to a time
    frame to deliver" and in the same comreg reply "They do offer whats called a forecast date but it is not set in stone" . Comreg didn't reply when I asked if I had a right to a line capable of taking normal cost effective BB.

pjq wrote:
    In October Eircom ( or rather their engineer ) promised to connect within 2-3 months . I called today and was told that the County Council are witholding "way leaves " from Eircom in a dispute over the colour of the maps!!! Other CoCo's are doing same , notably Fingal .
    Questions
    LOL :D . Next months excuses are :

a) The sand in the mixer is frozen
    b) The wrong kind of sleet.
    2. Do they actually need "way leave" to dig in the ditch on our side of the road , there is no need to cross the road .
    thats what I thought , they do not need it.

go to your county council district engineeer to find out what this is about .

PS Comreg are only good for the easy questions , "eircom are
    obliged to offer lines to customers but they are not held to a time
    frame to deliver" and in the same comreg reply "They do offer whats called a forecast date but it is not set in stone" . Comreg didn't reply when I asked if I had a right to a line capable of taking normal cost effective BB.

Comreg have great difficulty answering the following question

" What is a phone line ??? "

Ask them for the crack to see what I mean.!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

we have a one of them line of site lines. We get on average about 42k on a dialup.
    I was told that it would cost 700 squids to get broadband over it.

Same sh*te with the trench.

Advertisement