Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend local tax consultant / accountant.

Options
  • 02-10-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are both taxed as single individuals. I have gathered that it would be better if we were jointly assessed. However, I would like to know exactly how we would be affected in "pounds, shillings and pence" given our own individual circumstances.

I've read Boards, Revenue and Askaboutmoney but, to be honest, there's quite a lot of information and it's a bit confusing. I would like to make an appointment with a local (Donegal) tax consultant or accountant and present him/her with our facts and figures and be told exaxtly what would be best.

So, could anyone recommend a tax consultant or accountant with whom they have had good experience.

I don't want to talk to the revenue until I have this information first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Some high level information here however it doesn't go into the nitty gritty

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/relationships/marriage/taxation_of_married_people_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont mean to sound flippant but I would get out the yellow pages and just phone around. This is a very busy time for the accountants given that the acccounts have to be submitted before the end of this month.

The people I use are Farren, Roarty, Letterkenny (could still be listed under farren, Mulhall, Roarty in the book). I find them OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

muffler wrote:
    Dont mean to sound flippant but I would get out the yellow pages and just phone around. This is a very busy time for the accountants given that the acccounts have to be submitted before the end of this month.

The people I use are Farren, Roarty, Letterkenny (could still be listed under farren, Mulhall, Roarty in the book). I find them OK

Yes, that would be sensible, but got bad advice before, so was wondering if anyone could name a co. they had good dealings with.

If F&M are good enough for you, they'll do nicely. Will give them call.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Theres another guy I know who might be able to help. I will try and get a contact number for him and PM you after that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I ring the revenue every january to get a Balancing statement. It's where they do a re-evaluation of your tax paid. I've gotten money back every year, €7000 alone in the first year. Basically you give them your own and your wifes details if you are taxed individually. They check to see if you are due tax back from the point that if you were taxed as a married couple then you would accrue benefits from a shared tax base.

Simply put, if one of you is earning more than 28k and the other less then the higher earner gets thespare tax credit. In the end up it works out no different than if you were taxed as a couple. It is only the cost of faxing in your P60s and waiting for the cheque to arrive back. I look at it as a nice little bonus.

Strangely enough the misus is convinced that the money I get back is actually hers because she isn't up to the 28k. I might as well be trying to explain it to the dog because the look I get back is the same....

• Advertisement
Advertisement