Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chours Cablenet Broadband Cork?

Options
  • 02-10-2006 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Has anybody in the South of Cork (Turners Cross) area actually used thier broadband. How are the ping times / lag. Is the service reliable.

I can not find any info on the web as to terms and conditions or technicial specifications. IE if its crap you can't opt out of your contract which is 12months min. Don't have a phone in the house yet so its my best option as most if not all of the wireless options have disadvantages / outages

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

Phester wrote:
    Has anybody in the South of Cork (Turners Cross) area actually used thier broadband. How are the ping times / lag. Is the service reliable.

I can not find any info on the web as to terms and conditions or technicial specifications. IE if its crap you can't opt out of your contract which is 12months min. Don't have a phone in the house yet so its my best option as most if not all of the wireless options have disadvantages / outages

Found the T&C spoke to them on the phone. They Claim to have a 10 day cooling off period. T&C says 7 days, during which you can cancel your contract. they say 20:1 is the contention ratio but they can not give me any usage figures or technicial info on my area. So I guess I will have to wait for feedback from you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if its crap you can, you know why ? lol, Chorus still advertise their product as being suitable for online gaming etc. If its not, then the contract is null and void since you were not given a product as per the description. At least it gives you wiggle room to try and get out at least.

Ok how about what Chorus is like anywhere in Cork?

I am just looking for information so I know that it will work for VOIP maybe games. Does anybody know if the IP they give you is fixed or will a power cycle give you a new IP -> for Rapidshare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Not sure about chorus, but most DHCP address assigning will give you a minimum lease of (at the very least) an hour (it can be days if they wish to set it that way). So power cycling will generally give you the same address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Phester wrote:

Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054992467&referrerid=&highlight=chorus

• Advertisement

Seen that post before. It appears to be hit and miss but when people discribe the service as been grand most of the time. What are they doing. One person said that he was only getting 800k/s I can hardly ever get above 250k on a 2Meg line so I would rate that as a significant improvement.

The only post that I can take anything from is the online gamer who said that he gets a lag every now and then. But he does not say what game he is playing so I can not determine the lenght of these lags. An RPG like warcraft would suffer a lag more than Source.

No one has said that the connection is stable. I can live with varied speeds once the connection is stable. A download manager should get better speeds by night.

Anyway thats my rant for now until some Chorus customers if they have any share some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

connection is stable, ping spikes eavery second to about 350 for US, about 200 for UK/Ireland.

When we say 800k, we mean 800kbps which is less than a eight the speed it should be. This speed btw is terrible on all accounts

Your 250k you mentioned sounds more like 250KB/sec which is actually exactly 2mbit lol.

Advertisement