Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues With Mastercare

Options
  • 02-10-2006 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello I am looking to get some advice on repeted problems with a television set

here's the story :
    on The 25/07/04 i purchased a sony television form currys and took out an extended mastercare coverplan untill 24/07/09 I have had repeated problems with the tv here are the dates and problems

1 august 05
    fault reported tv cutting out wont turn back on unless disconected form mains: power supply replaced on site

29 september 05
    Fault reported tv cutting out wont turn back on unless disconnected from mains: power supply replaced on site

30 March 06
    Fault reported tv cutting out wont turn back on unless disconnected from mains: no fault found

18 may 06
    fault reported tv cutting out wont turn back on unless disconnected from mains : transferred to workshop had the unit 6 weeks and one day
    £888.16 GBP to fix the unit

15 september 06
    fault reported tv cutting out wont turn back on unless disconnected from mains :transferred to work workshop awating outcome

I have contacted master care and there saying that they will continue to fix the unit untill 09 end of coverplan

Where do i stand on saying i no longer want this problem unit and i want a refund ?

cheers david

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If a fault that has already been identified happens after the expiry of your masterplan insurance then it must be repaired again as it was not repaired to proper condition originally. If a different fault happens this will not be covered under the masterplan insurance. - but you may be able to take Sony up on the product not being of merchantable quality.

The mastercare plan is In addition your STATUTORY rights which state that the item must be of merchantable quality. The warranty from SONY is also in ADDITION to your statutory rights.

If this is a manufacturing fault (as it seems) Sony / Currys must put it right free of charge for a period deemed reasonable after the pruchase of the product. - For a television this would probably be in the region of 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pugnutter

Cheers for the reply mcaul
    so it looks like i am stuck with this dodgy tv then lol gointg to see if i can get a replacment unit off mastercare (thats not going to be easy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

You have to wonder if there is actually any work being done on the unit. You could discretely put some wax on one of the casing screws or open it up (be careful - high risk of electrocution even when unplugged) and record s/n of power supply if avail. If they have access to the service history of the unit, they know it's a pig and it would be cheaper to replace it when they patently can't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pugnutter

Well i have been in touch with sony technical and here is what they had to say

The KF-xxSX300x models are LCD-projection adepts of the well-known KV-xxFQ86 CRT-TV's.

The system controller (B-board) is of the same design and in addition to this, the lampdriver circuit and the secondary power supply is not always reliable.

I strongly recommend you to ask an authorized Sony workshop for assistance and ask them to check all technical bulletins which are issued for this model by Sony European Center (SEC).

Due to the complexity of the set and the solutions, it's absolute of no use to try it yourself or let a non-authorized workshop try it because in that case the required technical informations on the various circuit changes is missing.

Due to the differences in datasets which are pegged to the version of the optical block, urge the service center to make a backup of the current data in the set's main NVM before performing any repair. They can make such a backup with the TRACE interface and software.

Looks like a problem to me lol hopefully this will help me :D wish me luck

Advertisement