Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

leaking car boot

Options
  • 02-10-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I purchased an 03 fiesta just over a year ago. After a few months I noticed that the spare wheel comparment in the boot was full of water.. the rain was coming in somewhere on the drivers side. After 3 visits to the garage, they managed to fix the leak.

A few months ago, I noticed I had a wet boot again, this time the water was coming in on the passesnger side...the car has been in the garage twice already for this new problem, but it is still not sorted. When I leave it back, it will be the 6th time it has been in for a leaking boot.

Anyone had similar problems or have any advice on what to do...it is driving :) me mad!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If the car has a sunroof then the sunroof drains may be blocked. Basically in each coner, or particularly in the two rearmost corners there will be rubber tubes allowing any water which has entered the sunroof cartridge to drain back down and exit the vehicle through the boot floor. If the base of these gets blocked with road dirt it may cause the boot floor to become wet !

If you dont have a sunroof then try to pretend you never read the above !!:D

Other than that you could insert a piece of A4 paper progressivley aroudn the boot seal in different places to see whether the seal is being compressed. Or rub some talcum powder on the seal and it will highlight where watre is entering !

Is there a spoiler or aerial in place that could leak ??

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

thnx for advice...no sunroof, spoiler or aerial fitted!
    I think I might give the investigation techniques you suggested a try and see if I can locate the exact location of the leak.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could it be coming in through a dodgy seal behind a tail lamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i can't remember exactly but I think this is a common problem so a search of the net should reveal soemthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Could it be coming in through a dodgy seal behind a tail lamp?

........yeah good call, I forgot that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

the garage eventually found the leak, it was coming in through the centre brake light in the tail gate and was collecting in the corners of the boot. No more water sloshing around in my boot since it was fixed! YaY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Also, take out the rubber grommet in the wheel well and it won't allow any water to accumulate there.

Advertisement