Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Unlimited Data package via Phone

• 02-10-2006 5:39pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anybody know if you HAVE to use the Vodafone Mobile Connect card in order to use the Vodafone Unlimited Data price plan (http://www.vodafone.ie/soho/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp), or can you just use your 3G phone as a bluetooth modem?

I have a laptop that has no PCMCIA slot (only CF), so I'd have to use the phone to pass the data through. Does it matter what device is used (ie. can you only use the service if you install some mad Vodafone software on your laptop that absolutely must find the Connect Card installed?)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

your suggestion would work fine.

It doesnt matter what device is the modem, be that data card or handset.
    The access point remains the same (similar to the dial up number)

The isp.vodafone.ie & office.vodafone.ie access points are used by the data card software to connect, this apn is also specified when setting up your phone as a modem.

In my opinion though, your better off doing neither.
    Apparently vodafone will be shortly releasing a new product.
    Similar to the existing data card it will contain a sim card, but this time it will go into the computers usb port! Therefore you can use it with your desktop too.

Because its USB in windows xp devices the drivers self install.
    The vodafone application (aka Dashboard) that runs the device is stored on the usb device too, negating the need for the cd.

I havent heard what the price is on this yet though. Should hit the stores in the next month! Sounds good to me

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Nice one cheers.

I searched boards.ie after posting and a few other people had asked the same question, so sorry for the repeat.

I guess I just needed to know for sure if the Connect Card and software used a different or 'secret' connection method that was either difficult to replicate on a phone, or if you tried to use your phone for it, you'd get massive data bills because they fell outside the Unlimited Data plan..

your suggestion would work fine.

It doesnt matter what device is the modem, be that data card or handset.
    The access point remains the same (similar to the dial up number)

The isp.vodafone.ie & office.vodafone.ie access points are used by the data card software to connect, this apn is also specified when setting up your phone as a modem.

In my opinion though, your better off doing neither.
    Apparently vodafone will be shortly releasing a new product.
    Similar to the existing data card it will contain a sim card, but this time it will go into the computers usb port! Therefore you can use it with your desktop too.

Because its USB in windows xp devices the drivers self install.
    The vodafone application (aka Dashboard) that runs the device is stored on the usb device too, negating the need for the cd.

I havent heard what the price is on this yet though. Should hit the stores in the next month! Sounds good to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

whats the upload/download speed for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Vodafone have told me twice that this is not supported (that you have to use the PCMCIA card). However there's plenty of users here who report that it works fine.

Advertisement