Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went down to my gun dealer today

Options
  • 02-10-2006 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Went down to the local gun dealer today I told he what i wanted an air rifle for and he suggested getting a .22 rifle instead of an air rifle as it is the same licence and nearly the same price. (i eventually want to move on to hunting small game)

He suggested getting a .22lr brno it is 425 euro. Just wondering can people tell me if this a good beginers rifle and also is that a good price thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Brno s are a fine little rifle for the money......accurate enough out of the box and the trigger can be modded to make it lighter......rimfire magic do the kits for under £20stg.

Have two myself, the heavy barrelled Varmit and the style.....both equally good.

e400 is about right for them.......ask him to kick in a few goodies with it....amd u'll be right on the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That said, didn't you say you were in the city and couldn't travel easily Anxious? You'd be hard pressed to find a .22 range in the city centre, apart from the TCD one, and that's limited to TCD staff, students and alumni only unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I couldnt travel outside of the dublin area however, i found out there is a club in tallaght which i could easily travel to, im in college out here. I got there number from the gun deaer so i will ring them this week

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Went down to the local gun dealer today I told he what i wanted an air rifle for and he suggested getting a .22 rifle instead of an air rifle as it is the same licence and nearly the same price. (i eventually want to move on to hunting small game)

He suggested getting a .22lr brno it is 425 euro. Just wondering can people tell me if this a good beginers rifle and also is that a good price thanks

Good rifle - I have the CZ 452 -2E ZKM

The price ranges from €380-€400 in the west depending on what model 452 your looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Terrier wrote:
    Good rifle - I have the CZ 452 -2E ZKM

I have one myself. Very good value for money. I have the Deluxe model.

• Advertisement

ive heard very good reviews on this gun and ive found it cheaper on shoot.ie. While there i seen a cheaper Remington 597 Semi Auto for under three hundred. However i seen the next version up of this gun on walmart.com, It was 200 odd, just wondering if anyone has past experiences of importing a gun to give me a rough idea of added cost thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The 597 is rubbish, avoid like the plague. Also, importing a single firearm from the states won't be economical or convenient, will end up costing a lot more than if you bought locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

if yur goinna buy a semi buy a ruger 10/22,remington is just the "yellow pack" version besdies ruger have an un believeable amount add-ons and extras and its reliable 10 fold to the remy

ive always heard that remington rifles, were very reliable. ll have a look again at the brno, I Yea ive heard importing rifles is a black hole for money thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The remington centrefire rifles like the 700 series bolt action guns are extremely good guns and are very accurate they just didnt pay as much care to their rimfire guns.

Semi's also because of their design arent as accurate as a bolt action gun they can come close but take alot of modding to do.

For a first gun a cz/brno (same thing) is the best value gun you will buy its not that expensive and extremely accurate. .22lr is probably the best to get started on if you want to shoot at ranges and things but depending if you want to hunt more bigger small game (if you know what i mean) you may want to go for a magnum rimfire.

Cz's and brnos are basically the same cz took over brno's and kept the original design if you can pick up a pre 1982 brno in good condition it will be better made and more accurate than the current cz's thats not to say that they arent reliable or accurate its just they paid more attention tback then and alot of stuff was done by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

The best thing you could do is not rush into anything. Join a club, see if you like it. If you like it, shoot every gun that you can, see what gun suits you best. Do some safety and training courses, start off properly. Only then should you think of buying a gun. It will take a while before you can get a letter from a club that you can use to get a licence (like maybe a year!) anyway. The only other way to get a licence is to have 2 written permissions to shoot on farmer land. This wont suit you either if you live in Dublin and dont travel! So why rush to put a deposite on a gun?? But the Bruno is a good gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

flight93 wrote:
    The best thing you could do is not rush into anything. Join a club, see if you like it. If you like it, shoot every gun that you can, see what gun suits you best. Do some safety and training courses, start off properly. Only then should you think of buying a gun. It will take a while before you can get a letter from a club that you can use to get a licence (like maybe a year!) anyway. The only other way to get a licence is to have 2 written permissions to shoot on farmer land. This wont suit you either if you live in Dublin and dont travel! So why rush to put a deposite on a gun?? But the Bruno is a good gun!

I think for a starter great value can be had from CZ, have a look at this link the CZ453 is fab value with a set trigger to boot.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/humor/video/article/0,20163,1189822,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

If you want the only reliable remington 22.Get a Nylon 66.It isnt made anymore,and has been pretty much superceeded by the Ruger 10/22.But it is the only one made by Remington that ever functioned reliably.It was a PITA to strip and load as it fed from a tube mag in the stock

Advertisement