Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Issues & Garage...

Options
  • 02-10-2006 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Folks

I have a Ford Focus Estate car that I acquired in February (7th Feb to be exact) and I have noticed that the three original tyres have damage on them, unfortunately one is as a result of kerb walloping but the other two are not, one shows an obvious bulge on the tyre and one has a crack in the tyre. As a result all three need to be replaced.

I spoke to the garage I obtained the car from and they say that it is unlikely that they will replace them under warranty as the damage is from "normal wear and tear" (24k on the clock). Surely the tyres should have lasted longer, there is a threadwear indicator figure of 280 on them so surely they should be long life tyres? They are 17" tyres btw.

Has anyone any experience of this?

They have promised me an answer by Friday (Bloody hell what a delay considering the damage to all three tyres could be classed as dangerous!) I have reluctantly taken the car off the road for all but essential journeys until this is ironed out but I can see myself replacing the tyres myself and asking them to pay the cost of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

asking them to pay the cost of it

And what exactly do you dream of when you're actually asleep?

You've had 7 months and 24.000 miles of opportunity to do all manner of unspeakable things to your tyres ...why would anyone buy new ones for you at their expense?

17" tyres (supposedly very low profile ones) might not be the wisest and most durable choice for irish roads anyway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

peasant wrote:
    You've had 7 months and 24.000 miles of opportunity to do all manner of unspeakable things to your tyres ...why would anyone buy new ones for you at their expense?

I am actually a carefull driver, and the garage has admitted that they should have lasted longer of course they wont put it in writing
    peasant wrote:
    17" tyres (supposedly very low profile ones) might not be the wisest and most durable choice for irish roads anyway ...

Came as standard with the car not as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Careful or not ... one of them nasty potholes jumping out at you can kill a tyre even though you might only notice it days / weeks later.

There isn't exactly a shortage of potholes in this country, now is there?

Normally I have zero sympathy for car dealers / manufacturers when it comes to reliability issues and I'd fight as hard as the next man for my rights as a consumer ...but I would say that 24.000 miles on these roads on low profile tyres is pretty good going and wouldn't even dream about asking for my money back.

You *might* have a case if all tyres (not only the ones on the driven axle but all of them) had zero thread left after only 24 k miles (even then 24 k could be considered "normal lifetime")...but cracks and bulges are indicative of hard bangs (kerb or pothole) and certainly not a design flaw in the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just to be certain what we're talking about here, was this a brand new car, or a second-hand one? If it's new then I'm afraid I agree with peasant that modern tyres don't just develop cracks or bulges all on their own, but need the able assistance of some pretty hard wallops from a pothole or two. If it was second-hand, then I suppose some of the faults could have been at least partly present when you bought it 8 months ago, but then it's a case of caveat emptor, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the other posters here - bulges & cracks are indicative of damage incurred while driving. Personally, I'm not a fan of anything much over 15" on our roads, you could consider changing to smaller wheels. On which subject, are the wheels ok?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the other posters here - bulges & cracks are indicative of damage incurred while driving. Personally, I'm not a fan of anything much over 15" on our roads, you could consider changing to smaller wheels. On which subject, are the wheels ok?
    It's not so much a question of the wheel size as the aspect ratio of the tyres (ratio as a percentage of the wall height vs. the width). Personally on Irish roads I wouldn't go any lower than a pretty standard 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote:
    It's not so much a question of the wheel size as the aspect ratio of the tyres (ratio as a percentage of the wall height vs. the width). Personally on Irish roads I wouldn't go any lower than a pretty standard 55.

I think Anan's point though is that unless you have a 4x4 having 17" wheels requires very low profile tyres.

I destroyed an alloy with 195/55 R 15 tyres before, and since then will go no lower than 60 on similar sized wheels. I'd love to put 17" wheels on my focus, but I can't see them lasting the winter if I did.

Alun wrote:
    Just to be certain what we're talking about here, was this a brand new car, or a second-hand one? If it's new then I'm afraid I agree with peasant that modern tyres don't just develop cracks or bulges all on their own, but need the able assistance of some pretty hard wallops from a pothole or two. If it was second-hand, then I suppose some of the faults could have been at least partly present when you bought it 8 months ago, but then it's a case of caveat emptor, I'm afraid.

Yes it is a brand new car, its also a car that is not in the habbit of being driven on back roads into potholes 85% of driving is done in the dublin and wicklow area (mostly the M50 and city centre area) with the other 15% on the UK motorway systemback and forth to Chester area and one 1500km trip to Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Essentially, what your tyres have is damage. Plain and simple. If you had have pointed out the damage on delivery then you might have some claim. But given the time and mileage in between then and now you haven't a leg to stand on. Basically, its similar to a scratch 'suddenly' appearing on your bodywork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd be absolutely amazed if your garage replaces your tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

junkyard wrote:
    I'd be absolutely amazed if your garage replaces your tyres.
    Me too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Me three

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Me Four... couldn't resist

I suppose its only a matter of time before some guys expect garages to pay for road tax, insurance and fuel too.:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

24k miles from a tyre and your trying to get the garage to pay for new tyres, because you "say" your a carful drive and that you have never hit a pot hole.
    Please find enclosed cyber slap to wake you up!

I wouldn't go too hard on the OP - there is a line between answering the question and flinging insults. If we all knew everything then the boards would be a pretty quiet place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

junkyard wrote:
    I suppose its only a matter of time before some guys expect garages to pay for road tax, insurance and fuel too.:rolleyes: :D
    Proper order! :D
    Still if the yanks can sue manufacturers then it could well happen in the future! http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=car%20manufacturers%20sued&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&sa=N&tab=wn

The_Magoo wrote:
    24k miles from a tyre and your trying to get the garage to pay for new tyres, because you "say" your a carful drive and that you have never hit a pot hole.
    Please find enclosed cyber slap to wake you up!

So you dont feel where the garage has ADMITTED that they should have lasted longer that the garage should replace them?

However like i said earlier they have refused to put it in writing...

Tyre wear is dependant on a whole raft of factors ... correct inflation, driving style, road surfaces etc., and the figure the manufacturers give is only a guideline anyway. In any case, I'd say your gripe, if any, should be with the tyre manufacturer, not the car manufacturer.

What tyres are they, out of interest?

Alun wrote:
    Tyre wear is dependant on a whole raft of factors ... correct inflation, driving style, road surfaces etc., and the figure the manufacturers give is only a guideline anyway. In any case, I'd say your gripe, if any, should be with the tyre manufacturer, not the car manufacturer.

What tyres are they, out of interest?

Continental 205/50/R17

• Advertisement

boomer_ie wrote:
    So you dont feel where the garage has ADMITTED that they should have lasted longer that the garage should replace them?

When people talk about the lifespan of tyres, they are talking about tread wear. Your tyres are damaged. The two are completely different. Nobody can tell you how long a new tyre will last without being damaged - it could happen within 500 metres of leaving the garage.

Anan1, I thought he'd mentioned the tyres had worn as well, hence my comment, but reading back over the thread it appears he didn't. My bad.

To the OP: What Anan1 says is right, the projected lifetime of a tyre quoted by a manufacturer is solely concerned with tread wear, and has nothing to do with their resistance to damage caused by potholes, rocks on the road, kerbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

24,000 miles (or is it km?) on an 8 month old car is a high mileage.

Also, what is the rating on the tyre (T,Z,?)? I find that the higher ratings tend to last a shorter time.

And you do have to look after bigger tyres a bit better, I'm afraid. I'm replacing a set of 17" falkens after 16,000 miles, and I'm not a particularly hard driver (they are the back tyres on a RWD car, though - the fronts are fine).

boomer_ie wrote:

Because they should have lasted longer does not mean they are faulty. To start 24k isn't great, but isn't awful either. The shorter lifespan may be due to:

a) Driving style
    b) Inflation pressure
    c) Road surface
    d) 101 other things.

Anan1 wrote:
    I wouldn't go too hard on the OP - there is a line between answering the question and flinging insults. If we all knew everything then the boards would be a pretty quiet place.

But did you realise that some people here do know everything.:confused::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I have an even bigger problem with my car - since I got it in May, its used hundreds of litres of petrol. Every fortnight I put more in but it keeps disappearing. Have you seen the price of that stuff? Do I have a claim against the garage who supplied it???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Dilbert75 wrote:
    I have an even bigger problem with my car - since I got it in May, its used hundreds of litres of petrol. Every fortnight I put more in but it keeps disappearing. Have you seen the price of that stuff? Do I have a claim against the garage who supplied it???:rolleyes:
    :D:D:D

boomer_ie wrote:
    Continental 205/50/R17

A truly shocking tyre for wearing (although probably very grippy)!

My father got about 18k miles out of a set, when cheaper tyres will do almost 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

boomer_ie wrote:

"Should" have, and lasted "longer" isn't exactly a specific admittance, is it? Just because someone on the phone said "should", isn't specific enough to indicate any liability on their part....all that means to me is "they should have lasted longer"....but they didn't, and it could be a result of any number of factors beyond their control.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    A truly shocking tyre for wearing (although probably very grippy)!

My father got about 18k miles out of a set, when cheaper tyres will do almost 40.

Actually I am not happy with the grip on them, or the water dispersion of them, have aquaplanned on tiny puddles

Advertisement