Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Issues & Garage...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

maidhc wrote:
    A truly shocking tyre for wearing (although probably very grippy)!

My father got about 18k miles out of a set, when cheaper tyres will do almost 40.

My last two sets of tyres lasted approximately 8k each, bridgestone potenzas and goodyear eagle f1's!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

boomer_ie wrote:
    Actually I am not happy with the grip on them, or the water dispersion of them, have aquaplanned on tiny puddles

Yepp ..that's another problem with wide, low profile tyres. The wider the tyre the easier it aquaplanes.

If you don't mind the ****ty looks, you might seriously want to consider changing your wheels to something with a narrower and taller tyre, possibly on 15 or 16 inch rims.

Ask your garage / tyre guy for suitable alternatives.

I've just changed from 205 to 195 width on my Suzuki Jimny ...the difference when driving through puddles is massive ...much safer now !

Wider tyre=more contact with the road=more grip=faster stopping times=better tyre.

Aquaplaning can occur just as easily on a skinny tyre and ultimately with a thinner tyre your stopping distances will increase, within reason.

cpoh1 wrote:
    Wider tyre=more contact with the road=more grip=faster stopping times=better tyre.

correct ...on dry, perfectly even surfaces (how many of those will you find in Ireland)
    Aquaplaning can occur just as easily on a skinny tyre
    Aquaplaing is a function of downward pressure per unit of surface and speed, the wider tyre will start to "float" at a lower speed than the narrow tyre.
    ultimately with a thinner tyre your stopping distances will increase, within reason.

once again, this only applies on a dry, perfectly even surface. Also it very much depends on the thread and "stickiness" of the tyre

Well peasent seeing as you did physics in school it must be true!

Im off to change my 18/245/40 tyres for some 15/185/60's on my skyline...going by what youre saying it'll improve the braking and stopping distances on my car in all but perfect road surfaces???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cpoh1 wrote:
    Aquaplaning can occur just as easily on a skinny tyre.
    No it can't. Read peasant's explanation. Rather than looking for the cheap dig, try to actually understand what he's saying. You never know, you might learn something.

Im off to change my 18/245/40 tyres for some 15/185/60's on my skyline...going by what youre saying it'll improve the braking and stopping distances on my car in all but perfect road surfaces???

exactly :D:D:D

What I'm trying to say is that it is not quite as simple as to say bigger = better.

Especially in soppy wet conditions bigger is definitely worse.

But as everything in life it's finding the right compromise. For your Skyline 185 are underdimensioned ...for Irish weather the 245 might just be a bit too wide ...

The OP's Focus and driving style might actually be better served by a tyre one size narrower and taller. Taking into account that it's no performance car and the op's desire for economy, durability and improved wet characteristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Jaysus lads, count yourselves lucky.

Us bikers replace tyres after about 7k :eek: and they're alot more expensive than car tyres.

peasant wrote:
    exactly :D:D:D

What I'm trying to say is that it is not quite as simple as to say bigger = better.

Especially in soppy wet conditions bigger is definitely worse.

But as everything in life it's finding the right compromise. For your Skyline 185 are underdimensioned ...for Irish weather the 245 might just be a bit too wide ...

The OP's Focus and driving style might actually be better served by a tyre one size narrower and taller. Taking into account that it's no performance car and the op's desire for economy, durability and improved wet characteristics.

I suppose what were both trying to get is that going away too much from the manufacturers recommended spec is a bad idea, both too thin and too wide. Too thin on a car with a weight requiring wider tyres for grip and handling will end up with poor stopping distances, too wide for a car with a weight optimised for skinny tyres and aquaplaning and tramlining will occur :D

As to the op if you want a tyre that has better grip then it wont last as long as others. Grip and long lasting are two things with tyres that very seldom match unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

boomer_ie wrote:
    Folks

I have a Ford Focus Estate car that I acquired in February (7th Feb to be exact)

You drove around for seven months, went back to the garage and demanded satisfaction for your tyre damage? There must have been some laughter in that garage.

If it was that easy to get tyres replaced we'd all be doing it.

Most warranties specifically exclude "consumables" like tyres anyway, so your chances of getting the garage to kit you out with three replacement tyres would be slim unless you spike their water cooler with Prozac or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KTRIC wrote:
    Jaysus lads, count yourselves lucky.

Us bikers replace tyres after about 7k :eek: and they're alot more expensive than car tyres.
    but you have only half the amount of tyres to buy compared to a car owner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kbannon wrote:
    but you have only half the amount of tyres to buy compared to a car owner :D

Still cost me more for my bike tyres together than a full set of tyres for my old BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

You can buy a set of Asian crap like Wanli they will last 40k no problem.

Alternatively you could put a set of Michelin Pilot Primacys that will cover decent milage and handle superbly in wet and dry. Theres absolutely no point in my opinion putting your life and car at risk just to save a few quid and get more miles out of a set of tyres.

The reason these Asian tyres can cover huge milage is the high level of plastic thats in them. All they are is round and black. Very little of no technology goes into their construction. I'd honestly say cars fitted with these kind of tyres are a liability on the roads when it rains.

Advertisement