Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA4 is set in the future

• 02-10-2006 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Heres another stupid GTA4 preview I found...

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=4079

Apparently its now set in the futuristic city of Maeba Prime, and the gameplay will be like Blade Runner meets Star Wars meets Mrs. Doubtfire... Wonderful :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think i just wet myself.

if this is true i'm all about it (ref: my little "gta2 is awesome" rant)... not sure how they'd implement all the blade runner influence, since GTA has never been very dark and gloomy... unless they can inject humour into a run-down futuristic utopia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

i think i just wet myself.

if this is true i'm all about it (ref: my little "gta2 is awesome" rant)... not sure how they'd implement all the blade runner influence, since GTA has never been very dark and gloomy... unless they can inject humour into a run-down futuristic utopia :)

Um yeah I really don't think that's a genuine article somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Take anything on somethingawful.com with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Of course it's not real. People are so gullible. Unless this thread is intended as a joke, you are also one of those people.

As a sidenote, setting GTA4 in the future would just take away from the realism of it all. I think a present day setting would work better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

nealmac wrote:
    Of course it's not real. People are so gullible. Unless this thread is intended as a joke, you are also one of those people.

Hence why I said on the top of my post...

"Heres another stupid GTA4 preview I found"

• Advertisement

nealmac wrote:

As a sidenote, setting GTA4 in the future would just take away from the realism of it all. I think a present day setting would work better.

well SA is a joke site, but just think of the idea whereby GTA is set in the future...

as for your sidenote, GTA2, no?

well SA is a joke site, but just think of the idea whereby GTA is set in the future...

It would be interesting to see Rockstar release a futuristic GTA game title. If not GTA, it would still would be nice to see something set in the future from our boys in Scotland. You never know though, no one knows for sure what GTA4 is going to be about. People say its Tokyo, people say its Carser city, people say its London. But what if they decided to do something abstract for next gen gaming. If this doesn't happen in GTA, maybe in another future project. Ill have my fingers crossed :D

And as for GTA2, never gave it a good go. I hear its free from rockstargames.com, so ill give it a hoot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They'll do something abstract with gta eventually, when it starts to get tired. I know alot of people think it already is tired but next gen consoles and a new game engine should make sure they don't need to do anything too odd to keep people interested in the new title. I'd say maybe the third gta game out on next gen consoles could see something like a future setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

at least in Weebl's Stuff they put a bit of effort into their "preview"

Jakkass wrote:
    at least in Weebl's Stuff they put a bit of effort into their "preview"

Ya, it seemed more believable at the time. I just love these. Idiots compiling thoughts about what the next game will be about...
    In the end, we know this fact, the game is going to be savage as always ;)

Check out http://www.gta4.net/ for reliable facts and rumours...

• Advertisement

What about my sidenote? Yes, I do realise GTA was set in 2013 or something like that, but way back then it was a totally different kind of game, with very little detail. So the whole "futuristic" thing wasn't really an issue. Therefore, realism wasn't an issue either. (Even though there was absolutley no realism to it at all and lets face it, it was shite compared with the later GTA's).

But now that they've converted to 3D, a futuristic version would be blatently obvious, and it would lose the realism that it has gained since this conversion.

So I stand by what I said, that a new GTA set in the future would be a bad idea.

nealmac wrote:
    So I stand by what I said, that a new GTA set in the future would be a bad idea.

so what would you prefer? the pre-80s games are out because rockstar need to stick to their audience (who, the vast majority of were not born before the 80s), we've seen the 90s, and the "modern day" timeline. the next logical step is the future, much like the way the battlefield series has gone

I was born in the 70's:(

Yeah, I do see your point that all eras have been covered already, and the pre 80's versions possibly wouldn't appeal to younger gamers, but I don't see whats wrong with having it set in the present time. Yes, I know it has been done before, but is that really a problem? I can't see any propblems with doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

60's and 70's GTAs would be cool :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The future would be good, as you could have a american city under military law, lots of cops/soldiers everywhere. Heavy criminal element. Sweet cars. Futuristic weapons/cars/missions.

1455828107a1979419726b771247819l.jpg

No comment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd like to see a thirties GTA, show Godfather/Mafia how it should have been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

GTA4 CORK CITY. All the usual weapons and cars etc...only one major new task to carry out....the pub crawl. Drink yourself silly and then try to walk down patrick street without being beaten up, mugged, glassed in the face or arrested for absolutly no reason whatsoever.

thrill wrote:
    GTA4 CORK CITY. All the usual weapons and cars etc...only one major new task to carry out....the pub crawl. Drink yourself silly and then try to walk down patrick street without being beaten up, mugged, glassed in the face or arrested for absolutly no reason whatsoever.

and then we can make a GTA: Limerick mod where the only weapon is knives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

and then we can make a GTA: Limerick mod where the only weapon is knives

hehe
    sounds good

GTA Dublin city would own!
    imagine it..
    getting to beat the S*** out of the scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Psssh, GTA: 1804 for the win :D

Robbing horses and carts, stabbing prostitutes...well...even more prostitiutes and facial hair like never seen in GTA before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

or liverpool scouser car robbing goodness. GT eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Why set it in any specific era?

Bring on the the Delorean! Maybe have 3 decades you can freely travel between, and you can travel to all three cities (Liberty, Vice, San An) within those decades.

Now THAT would be my idea of free roaming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

could do an ireland one ........tiger kidnappings, drug dealing, limerick drug gang vs dublin drug gang wars, saturday night drunken farmer fights, ira gun runs, dublin car chop shops, knackers vs pub landlords, knackers vs city councils, dublin street racing over speed bumps, government corruption aka planning corruption aka brown envelope runs, rent extortion, eastern european prostitution raquets, junkie needle muggings... and the cop car radios can say "we are looking for a white vehicle driven by a white male in his 20's" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

and the gardai can flag you down at random checkpoints , get you to roll down the drivers side window, look at you sittin gbehind the steering wheel and ask

"are you the driver of this veh-icle?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

60s would definately be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 creepinshadow

DarthWraak wrote:
    Heres another stupid GTA4 preview I found...

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=4079

Apparently its now set in the futuristic city of Maeba Prime, and the gameplay will be like Blade Runner meets Star Wars meets Mrs. Doubtfire... Wonderful :D
    u cant be serious tat sounds hilarious

u cant be serious tat sounds hilarious

Nah, I made another thread with another spoof, you should fine it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

GTA near future might work, but what about the radio stations!? The retro ones are best, so much material from popular culture to draw on.

They might go back to basics, present day, liberty city. I don't think anything pre-1960's would be a good idea, I want flash sports cars!

The main thing I want from Rockstar Games is MORE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want a control scheme that isn't broken and mission check points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I just want a control scheme that isn't broken and mission check points.

whinge whinge whinge.

Do you have anything good to say bout a game that isn't a side-scroller or an obscure japansese RPG?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

quarryman wrote:
    whinge whinge whinge.

Do you have anything good to say bout a game that isn't a side-scroller or an obscure japansese RPG?!!
    Sure he does. And he's not the first person to complain about GTAs controls and lack of checkpoints (see Eurogamers GTA:VCS PS2 review for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

bah! Only having a go :)

The GTA reviews there are spot on.

Retro: Get some xbox 360 reviews in, i want to read em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stopped doing reviews on my wiki since it took me ages. Might start back again. Usually just post in the games review section when I'm finished them but I've also fallen behind.

GTA is a hugely flawed game counterbalanced and almost negated by the fact that it is a huge amount of fun. I'd like more solid on foot controls with missions that feel like a decent third person shooter since the on foot combat sections are pretty poor. I'm sure Rockstar can't ignore the lack of mission checkpoints any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Vice City wasn't flawed much... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement