Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart telecom- bankrupt

Options
  • 02-10-2006 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

is it true that smart telecom have pulled the plug, and that every home with a smart telecoms line can only make emergeny calls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

We have our phone line with Smart and I haven't been able to make a call since Friday I'd say. Their phone services seem to be down at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifted from AH. Mods ye can merge this one with the other existing threads, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Smart phone working fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

Just tried it now and I'm only getting a recorded message :(
    Incoming calls are ok so I suspect that Eircon manage these

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Out calls working OK here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just tried my line and i can't make calls, i can receive them and the BB is working fine.

Has any spoke to them about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

Looks like they are gone, it seemed to be on the cards for a while. I've just transferred to Imagine this minute - but it takes up to 10 days to go through. Incoming calls only for the next few days.

Can ring out here to both Smart and non-Smart numbers - broadband working fine.
    People having trouble ringing me.
    Summerhill exchange.

No official response on the Smart support forums yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im on smart too but i only use the line for broadband so i havent a clue what the story is on calls.

i'll tell you one thing though, if it does go down the toilet im not going back to eircom. it too feckin expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Advertisement

hmmm, worrying. i'll be honest i dont use the phone service. i hooked up with smart for the broadband and to avoid paying line rental. i really hope it doesnt go under cause its the best deal in town and besides one hic up ive been way happier with them than eircom. hopefully it'll get sorted but if not i suppose its BT or irish broadband for me:D

If there was some way I could have Smart broadband and no voice service that would suit me fine.

I still have voice service outward though - as do any of my 'Smart' friends I have rung, so it's by no means across the board whatever is happening.

Perhaps Eircom are delaying the pulling of the plug like they delayed my signing up.:D

was on the news that its a fight between eircom and smart and they hope to have it resolved soon, but it did end with a request for smart telecom customers to get in contact with comreg.

like i said it doesnt bother me so far cause i just plug the line straight into my computer and use my mobile for all my calls. mainly cause its 3g and i love video messaging :D should be interesting to see what happens. smart is clearly not bankrupt and would like to continue to provide a service and its not like its the first time eircom have ****ed em around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

On the nine o clock news they said can only receive calls and that it was a "technical difficulty".:eek: ..they workin with eircom engineers to sort it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Got a skype phone recently. My girlfriend only clocks up 92c/hr on this; I wonder if we are to blame - well if we are well feck em! anyhow ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

For those who can't make outgoing calls there is an eircom prefix number you should be able to dial. It will mean eircom will charge you for the call, but if you need to use it, just dial 13666 followed by the number you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KeithMur wrote:
    For those who can't make outgoing calls there is an eircom prefix number you should be able to dial. It will mean eircom will charge you for the call, but if you need to use it, just dial 13666 followed by the number you want.

That will only work for people that still pay their line rental to Eircon. People that pay line rental to Smart, can not use that 13666 prefix

spurious wrote:
    Out calls working OK here.

Ah, but that's not Smart, that's just magic...

http://www.tvtix.com/images/web/1345.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Look, a wallet with a Sony battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Foxwood wrote:
    Look, a wallet with a Sony battery!

The ideal gift for Eircom executives this Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Ok, so if Smart are now shaggered, who would you recommend as an
    alternative?

check out comreg's site, theres a link to a site . i think its called callcosts.ie and it lists the most competative companies. personally if it goes tits up im getting digiweb. not as good but a hell of a lot cheaper than eircom and has no line rental to deal with. i dont want eircom to benefit from me in this affair

root around on it theres a good selection of companies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Be careful though. It still lists Smart as a broadband provider. Tee hee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well what I find strange and remarkably coincidental is that last year I was talking to my next door neighbour and we were talking about switching to Smart. He told me not to as he has just gotten off a plane where he was sitting beside a top exec from Smart. This guy was telling him the company will be gone in little over a year as it was all part of the initial plan.

The business plan was to get 100k customers, hence the free broadband for the first 100k offer and then sell the company on with a user base of 100k!!!
    If they didn't get the 100k they were going to fold the company. Now from what I know Smart only have 50k or so broadband customers so they didn't hit their initial target and decided to fold the company instead. This was alway pre planned and wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

iregk wrote:
    Well what I find strange and remarkably coincidental is that last year I was talking to my next door neighbour and we were talking about switching to Smart. He told me not to as he has just gotten off a plane where he was sitting beside a top exec from Smart. This guy was telling him the company will be gone in little over a year as it was all part of the initial plan.

The business plan was to get 100k customers, hence the free broadband for the first 100k offer and then sell the company on with a user base of 100k!!!
    If they didn't get the 100k they were going to fold the company. Now from what I know Smart only have 50k or so broadband customers so they didn't hit their initial target and decided to fold the company instead. This was alway pre planned and wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Great plan. They gain - nothing. They lose - a lot. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

iregk: that doesn't make sense. Why would one of the shareholders give them €3 million out of his own pocket to keep it going another month, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Sam Johnston

I just called Smart Telecom today Wednesday 3 October (we have connections in Harmonstown and Tallaght and I used one of them for the call and for this post) and got straight through to a rep who apologised and said that we would be receiving calls again within 2-3 days.

In light of all that's happened (and over what, 1.7m? ie the corporate equivalent of a cup of coffee) I'm impressed and will be standing by Smart Telecom and encouraging others to do the same. It's Eircom and ComReg along with the relevant minister(s) that should be feeling heat over this.

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

iregk wrote:

I call BS. Either you're BSing us, or he was BSing you.

Advertisement