Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gearbox problems

Options
  • 02-10-2006 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all I have a 02 mondeo automatic and the gears are giving me some hassle
    On saturday when I put i from neutral to drive it would do nothing and then suddenly jump into life, Today when I went to drive it it would not go anywhere in drive just rev a lot.
    Now it will work in 1st 2nd and reverse gears with no problems, has any1 had a similar problem or does any1 know what the hell is happening as you can gueaa Im off the road, looking for some help guys any ideas, thanks:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Try your Ford dealer. There's probably a (free) software update to cure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It sounds to me like its low on transmission fluid, did you check it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes tranny fluid will cause loss of drive, you may have a leak so topping up may get you going but get it looked at !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

daveball wrote:
    Hi all I have a 02 mondeo automatic and the gears are giving me some hassle
    On saturday when I put i from neutral to drive it would do nothing and then suddenly jump into life, Today when I went to drive it it would not go anywhere in drive just rev a lot.
    Now it will work in 1st 2nd and reverse gears with no problems, has any1 had a similar problem or does any1 know what the hell is happening as you can gueaa Im off the road, looking for some help guys any ideas, thanks:confused:

I don't know the specifics of a mondeo AT, however, AT oftem give that noaction- then slam into gear on revving the motor, when you have low fluid, or a bad pump, (not Torque Converter), or it is an electronic box with faulty solenoids, which have a tendancy to react when they heat up a bit.
    If it fails to work in D completely, but works OK in R and 1st, then you could simply have a blown fuse or bad relay to the solenoids power supply.

When you say it works OK in 1st, 2nd and Rev, you mean when you place the shifter out of D and into 1 or 2 is works OK.
    That may be because 1/2 and Rev are mechanically selected, this is a common safety or limp-in feature, so you are not left stuck in the middle of nowhere for the night.

Anyway, start with checking the fluid level, hover make sure you have the procedure right, check the manual it may explain. Usually you have to check an AT level in P or N with the ATF hot and the car level, not cold and stopped.
    The instructions may be on the AT dipstick, if it has one.
    How many miles on the AT and AT Fluid?.

Advertisement