Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird ID, I'm a bit stuck

• 02-10-2006 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

I initially thought Little Stint but I've since changed my mind, the tail markings are not like a Stint (I think!). The pics were taken on the rocky part of a backstrand area in Waterford. The birds weren't shy at all and allowed me get to within 15 feet of them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roening/258887649/
    and
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roening/258897944/

Any help is appreciated :)

*EDIT* Since identified as a Northern Wheatear. Anybody agree or disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

You had me puzzled with the name there...none of my books referred to a Northern Wheatear, even as a possible rarity. After some reading and googling it seems that in Europe these are called Wheatear...whilst the Americans call them Northern Wheatears. Same species oenanthe oenanthe. Did your source believe it was a stray bird blown over from North America?

I'm no expert, but the wheatear option looks good to me, and your description - bird not shy - and the location - on a rock, in open ground - matches well too. Their white rump is very noticeable when they fly away from you.

I understand that most Wheatears leave Ireland for the Winter, so seems you spotted a lingerer or else a bird about to head overseas. Hmmm...not a bad idea...:)

BTW - there are several other types of wheatears that occasionally turn up in Ireland - I wouldn't be able to advise if it was one of these specialities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

What I'm getting from it is that it's a passing migrant on it's way from the Artic to Africa. Check this link here
    Although I'm getting conflicting reports that they may be resident here. I'll have to check with my birding buddies to be sure.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

My Lars Jonsson Birds of Europe guide was published in 1999 and it describes it as a Northern Wheatear, the only wheatear we get in N. Europe. It arrives early March departs Sept with passage migrants to Oct/Nov.

I saw one a couple of weeks ago in the Mushera Mountains, Cork. It was very close but unfortunately I didn't have my camera (as usual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yeah they don't seem to be at all shy, the two I saw struck me as inquisitive. I still don't know what to make of them, I saw one of them this week on the 11th, so at least one of them is still hanging about. I also saw a couple of Migrant Hawker dragonflies on the same day so the weather is obviously being kind to us here. That may have made them hang about a little longer than usual.

Advertisement