Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

meeting people off the internet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys

I actually met someone on Maybefriends.com about 5 years ago...and guess what...now Im married to that person. In fact we are now expecting a baby together. Just before we were married my partner sent an e-mail to the site and they wrote back asking if they could do an interview with us. But i wouldnt...still only about 2 or 3 of our very closest friends know the truth....the rest think we just met at a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭lau1247

My uncle got married to this woman he met online in a chat room..
    They's been married for 6-7 years now & they live happily in Australia..
    So it seem to work..
    Just depends on who you meet..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

2 or 3 years ago if someone had asked me what I thought about meeting someone from the internet I would have said 'no way'. Since joining boards though I have met a few people in real life who I suddenly realised I 'knew' from here, and that kinda started to change my mind about the whole thing.

Recently I was a bit crazy and met someone from the tinternet that I've been chatting to for a while. I mean I had already decided I thought the person was really nice (wouldnt have even considered it otherwise), but I thought it was going to still be a bit strange to actually meet in person. It wasn't at all though. They were not a serial killer and the whole thing went off without any issues! :)

I wouldnt go online in order to meet someone. But sometimes these online friendships just develop cos of shared interests, getting on well etc. The point im making in a drawn out way is that it depends on the person, some people you will get on with, some you wont - just like 'real life'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Meeting people off the internet is safer than meeting people in real life? :confused: i don't even know if I should respond to that. Sorry - and don't mean to offend.
    It can be safer. You can have a very good idea about who someone is, who else knows them, and so on. That being one-sided is a bad thing (i.e. they know all about you, but you know little about them, or what you think you know about them is bull****). But such a meeting with someone you know from the Internet is hence safer than meeting some randomer in a pub.

Meeting someone you don't know, somewhere you don't know, when no-body knows where you are, with at least the implications that it could be a meeting for sexual purposes, in a place that isn't public, and where they do know more about you, is not safe.

Like everything in life it's a matter of weighing the balance.

If you want to meet someone from this website then one way to make it safer would be to both go to one of the beers. Meeting someone as part of a few dozen people in a public place where there are less than six degrees of separation between you and who you are meeting based just on who is in that room, is safer than just meeting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

ned78 wrote:
    have a friend scheduled to ring your mobile 15 mins later if you need a 'Get out of jail free card' :)

This isn't a good idea 'cos everyone on dating sites knows about this one, and it's a bit rude. Best to just say thanks for the evening, but you don't think you're compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I think there's a difference between meeting someone on the net unexpectadly and logging on to a website with the intention of finding a boyfriend/girlfiend. I may be completely wrong cuz ive had no experience of using "dating" websites but i would expect that you'd be inclined to find more "wierdos" hanging around there than anywhere else on the net. Personally, I'm going out with a fella I met on the net for the last 5 and a half years, and we've been talking to each other for about 7 and a half years. We met on a sports forum where we had a common interest, we chatted online, emailed and phoned for at least a year before we met up and even when we did meet up it was just as friends. I think it is a brilliant way of meeting ppl that have the same interests and probably more importantly the same personality as you. I don't agree with ppl that say meeting in a pub/club is safer. Every day you hear of stories online or on the radio of girls getting attacked/assualted/raped on their way home from a night out. This is the reality of the world we are living in. It doesn't matter what medium you meet ppl through, the reality is there are sick ppl out there in every way of life and you can either get lucky or unlucky!

Advertisement