Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Doctor?

• 02-10-2006 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

The obvious question on this forum...
    So, I'd have to say I'm a Tenth Doctor/David Tennant fan. Christopher Eccleston was good as the Ninth Doctor but I never really felt he was into the character as much as Tennant is. Oh, but Tom Baker is the man!!! :D

Favourite Doctor? 52 votes

First Doctor - William Hartnell (1963–1966)
    0% 0 votes
    Second Doctor - Patrick Troughton (1966–1969)
    1% 1 vote
    Third Doctor - Jon Pertwee (1970–1974)
    0% 0 votes
    Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker (1974–1981)
    17% 9 votes
    Fifth Doctor - Peter Davison (1981–1984)
    44% 23 votes
    Sixth Doctor - Colin Baker (1984–1986)
    3% 2 votes
    Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy (1987–1989, 1996)
    3% 2 votes
    Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann (1996)
    1% 1 vote
    Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston (2005)
    1% 1 vote
    Tenth Doctor - David Tennant (2005–present)
    25% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wheres the flipping poll?????! :D

Anyway the answer is of course Tom Baker, as mad as a bag of cats.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Poll added.
    I didn't add Richard E. Grant...feel free to give out to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

What about the Radio Doctors? Richard E Grant played The Doctor on BBC Radio and so did, I am informed, Anthony Steward Head, which is ironic as he was a villan this year!!!

Edit to add: not giving out to Jack!

(Stands back waiting (fearing?) for "the radio shows aren't Cannon" debate......) :D

Oh, and I'm a Tom Baker man myself. Christopher Ecclestone simply played Christopher Ecclestone, like he always does, but for a embittered war-weary Doctor he was perfect for it. Tennant is a real Doctor, all right, nicely traditional.

I love Tennant. I read somewhere that he got into acting partly because he wanted to play the Doctor when he was a kid. And now he is! How cool is that?! :D Would have loved him better if he kept the Scottish accent though...

I'm sticking to the 10 TV Doctors since I only have 10 places in the poll :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tom Baker myself. I grew up watching old Baker repeats on "Super" Channel, and have fond memories of so many things. But what it is for me is Baker (I really should stress Tom shouldn't I, in due respect to Colin!) and how he brought both the humour and the darkness to the role in a balance that noone has seemed to match since - Tennant's not bad at it, but he doesn't have the same energy, I could never picture him bitching at K9, as in "Androids of Tara" and comparing him to a hamster with a blunt pen knife.

Having said that Baker2 is far too maligned and had plenty of potential - just not served by great scripts.

P.S. - A Doctor Who forum?! How the smeg did I not know (FWIW, smeg is perfectly acceptable as a Doctor Who swear as Ace used it in the Virgin Novel "Deceit". So there :)).

• Advertisement

Smeg is fine, obviously Ace was watching Red Dwarf at the time.

I think that McCoy and Colin Baker are unfairly maligned as they were victims of the BBC and the writers more than anything else. The BBC were on the one hand desperate to junk Doctor Who but on the other hand trying to make it "juve-friendly" and as such fell betwen two stools.

I think that McCoy and Colin Baker are unfairly maligned as they were victims of the BBC and the writers more than anything else. The BBC were on the one hand desperate to junk Doctor Who but on the other hand trying to make it "juve-friendly" and as such fell betwen two stools.

I kinda have a bit of a fond spot for McCoy and that's for two reasons:

1) He's the earliest one I can remember watching. The series stopped airing when I was 10 so I'd struggle to recall those before him. Your first Doctor always has that bit of an edge.

2) I really loved the Virgin New Adventures which all starred the 7th Doctor ('lest before they lost the license) and even though the "Dark Doctor" featured within wasn't like his TV counterpart, I kinda have the two intertwined - anyone else have the novels/comics/audios deepening one of the Doctors for them?

ixoy wrote:
    Your first Doctor always has that bit of an edge.

That could explain my love for Tennant. I remember watching repeats of the Tom Baker seasons when I was little but it was all over the place so I never had a sense of continuity. I watched a few of Eccleston's stuff but the latest season with Tennant was the one that I watched faithfully (bar missing a few episodes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

Yeah Tom Baker's your only man! Having said that David Tennant is doing a damn fine job! First time there's been a sexy doctor (though that could be coz I was watching the others before that particular concept hit!)...not sure how many female posters there are here though so that topic may well go rather undiscussed!:)

Jack is female :)

• Advertisement

Tom Baker gets my vote aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Tenant gets my vote though he had a rough start...being shallow he is the best looking though he also has a depth that none of the others had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

"What a wonderful butler, he's so violent!" (City of Death) Go on the Tom Baker, yeow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Tom Baker made Who his own. (eventhough he wasn't the first or last) Its a bit like the comparison between baldy Picard on Nest Gen and Capt. James T. Kirk on the original Star Trek..... a poor one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I didn't add Richard E. Grant...feel free to give out to me.
    Duely noted, and repremanded. At the moment I'm quite enjoying him as the "Shalka Doctor".

I'm not really familiar enough with many of the other Doctors (except a bit of Eccleston and a little of Tennant - right Johnny-come-lately, me) to be able to draw comparisions.

Part of the reason I didn't add Grant was that there are only 10 options on the poll so I had to leave someone out :o

And what about Rowan Atkinson or Joanna Lumley? Or does "Curse of the Fatal Death" not count? ;)

Maybe someone could start a polled thread called "Favourite Other Doctors"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm guesing there is a certain generational bias here (okay own up whos over 35?!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It's a pity you can't vote 1-2-3 here but my top three are

1. Tom Baker (as said above "mad as a bag of cats")
    2. Chris Ecclestone (dramatic)
    3. David Tennent (funny)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Duely noted, and repremanded. At the moment I'm quite enjoying him as the "Shalka Doctor".

I'm not really familiar enough with many of the other Doctors (except a bit of Eccleston and a little of Tennant - right Johnny-come-lately, me) to be able to draw comparisions.

Well since Star Trek had an animated series I suppose it's not that big of a surprise that Dr Who had one but until now I had no idea! Any good?

Why did you bother to put the movie Dr Who in there?:eek: He was in one movie and well in my opinion it was rather crap!

LilKitty wrote:
    Why did you bother to put the movie Dr Who in there?:eek: He was in one movie and well in my opinion it was rather crap!

Well, if you want to, you can always pull your thumb out and post you own poll...

Well, if you want to, you can always pull your thumb out and post you own poll...

Can't you handle constructive criticism or what?

Anyway I'll put it in a more civil tone(though why I don't know after that response!) why did you put the movie doctor in there, seriously?

LilKitty wrote:
    Can't you handle constructive criticism or what?

Anyway I'll put it in a more civil tone(though why I don't know after that response!) why did you put the movie doctor in there, seriously?

Posting an obnoxiously phrased question and one line on your opinion does not make your criticism constructive, Little Kitten :rolleyes:
    Nonetheless, now that you've decided to act like a civilised little human, I'll tell you why: Paul McGann's Eight Doctor (I assume you're referring to him) has actually been one of the longer running Doctors and, whether you like it or not, the character officially qualifies as an incarnation of the Doctor. Although he's only appeared once on screen, there have been novel, comic and audio series featuring him up until 2005 when Eccleston appeared on the scene. And despite what you may think of the incarnation in question, I've assumed that other people may in fact have differing opinions and therefore have added him to the list.
    Happy now?

Posting an obnoxiously phrased question and one line on your opinion does not make your criticism constructive, Little Kitten :rolleyes:
    Nonetheless, now that you've decided to act like a civilised little human, I'll tell you why: Paul McGann's Eight Doctor (I assume you're referring to him) has actually been one of the longer running Doctors and, whether you like it or not, the character officially qualifies as an incarnation of the Doctor. Although he's only appeared once on screen, there have been novel, comic and audio series featuring him up until 2005 when Eccleston appeared on the scene. And despite what you may think of the incarnation in question, I've assumed that other people may in fact have differing opinions and therefore have added him to the list.
    Happy now?

Well I'm not into Dr Who so much that I go beyond Movies or series so I had no idea he was featured at all in anything other than the movie and that was why I found it odd you added him. Yet since I now know otherwise it seems more logical.

Happy? Nah, I'm a depressed chick at the moment but just find me a man and that'll probably work!:D

chill ladies, please............ thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

Where's the option for "Splendid chap, all of them!"?:D

chill ladies, please............ thanks.

I'm chilled now but ladies? I thought I was the lady and he was the man!:D

• Advertisement

Gavin W wrote:
    Where's the option for "Splendid chap, all of them!"?:D

Wait until there's an 11th Doctor, then the choices for the poll will be even harder!:eek:

Advertisement