Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Doctor?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

There's a limit on these regenerations, isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Goodshape wrote:
    There's a limit on these regenerations, isn't there?

I think it's supposed to be a max of 12 or 13 but somehow I think they'll find a way to get around that so Dr Who can continue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

LilKitty wrote:
    I think it's supposed to be a max of 12 or 13 but somehow I think they'll find a way to get around that so Dr Who can continue.
    12 regenerations, so thus 13 incarnations (we can safely assume that Hartnell's Doctor was the first, despite the apparent contradiction of "The Brain of Morbius").

I must also agree that McGann has a huge chunk of material for him. The BBC EDAs ran for about, ohhh, 70-80 books? Thereabouts. They really developed his incarnation in that (including also
    destroying Gallifrey, albeit nothing to do with Daleks
    ) and created fantastic concepts, like Faction Paradox, that would be brilliant to see on screen.
    FWIW, McCoy's incarnation also had a huge run of novels that really developed him, making him perhaps the most Machivellian and God-like of all the incarnations. Would be interesting to have seen it displayed as it would have given the show a more epic feel (a fair bit of this would have been televised if the show hadn't been cancelled in '89).

Then there's the whole story with the sixth Doctor(can't remember what it was called but it was one of the longest Dr Who stories ever) where the Dr meets his evil future self and the stolen regeneration thing. It's all too confusing for me to keep up with!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm listening to (and watching in dodgy Flash animation) McGann at the moment in Shada, which isn't half bad. Story by Douglas Adams too.

I had no idea there was such an 'extended universe' for the series.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    I had no idea there was such an 'extended universe' for the series.
    Yep - many of the writers working on the show now had written DW novels previously: Gareth Roberts has a few funny ones, Paul Cornell has a bunch and this season sees one of his adapted, RTD wrote one too, and many more too.

There's also a huge range of audios with most of the original cast (that live) reprising their roles. Haven't gotten into these yet but I hear (ho ho) they're quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

LilKitty wrote:
    I'm chilled now but ladies? I thought I was the lady and he was the man!:D

Fraid not, sweetheart. No man is as caustic as I ;)

Fraid not, sweetheart. No man is as caustic as I ;)

Then what's your user name all about?:confused:

A female Dr Who fan, besides me I was wondering if there were many others out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The username's something I picked up from a character in Pitch Black and I just kinda ran with it cos few other people had it as there nick on the interweb. And yeah, there's a few of us female Dr Who fans kicking about (possibly more so after the introduction of the 9th and 10th incarnations cos they're pretty easy on the eye. Tbh, I'm getting a bit annoyed about Tennent's sex symbol style Doctor at this point though. It's getting in the way of the story imo, having his companions lusting after him all the time.)
    As for the issue of incarnations, I think there are 12 regenerations allowed so 13 Doctors in total but I'm fairly sure there was some loop introduced at some point which would allow that to be extended if needs be. Something about the destruction of Gallifrey, but don't hold me to that... :-s

The username's something I picked up from a character in Pitch Black and I just kinda ran with it cos few other people had it as there nick on the interweb. And yeah, there's a few of us female Dr Who fans kicking about (possibly more so after the introduction of the 9th and 10th incarnations cos they're pretty easy on the eye. Tbh, I'm getting a bit annoyed about Tennent's sex symbol style Doctor at this point though. It's getting in the way of the story imo, having his companions lusting after him all the time.)
    As for the issue of incarnations, I think there are 12 regenerations allowed so 13 Doctors in total but I'm fairly sure there was some loop introduced at some point which would allow that to be extended if needs be. Something about the destruction of Gallifrey, but don't hold me to that... :-s

To be honest I thought the 9th Doctor was more attractive than the 10th, it was a shame he only was there for one season:( . As for the other doctors, none really appealed to me attraction wise except for the 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

There is at least one other female Who fan on this board (but I'm not telling who she is)

the McCoy Doctor was the one who was destined for true greatness as he was to start meddling a lot more and using powers which have been hinted at...

now, this may simply be the auld late 80's superhero thing and fair enough if it was, but it was explored in the Extended Universe at least once.....

but even in the final story of the "old" Who (Battleground) there were many really good insights into the McCoy Doctor's charater, seemingly aloof, superiour and concerned with humands in a detacted but paternal sort of way.... it was a really great story to go out on but by then Who was being shown against Coronation Street.....

this leads into McGann and Ecclestone quite well (and has echos of the Colin Baker Doctor) but Tennant is a total break with that and all the better for it as he is a more happy and more rounded Doctor who is genuinely protective of humanity and loves mankind (awwwww shucks)

There is at least one other female Who fan on this board (but I'm not telling who she is)

the McCoy Doctor was the one who was destined for true greatness as he was to start meddling a lot more and using powers which have been hinted at...

now, this may simply be the auld late 80's superhero thing and fair enough if it was, but it was explored in the Extended Universe at least once.....

but even in the final story of the "old" Who (Battleground) there were many really good insights into the McCoy Doctor's charater, seemingly aloof, superiour and concerned with humands in a detacted but paternal sort of way.... it was a really great story to go out on but by then Who was being shown against Coronation Street.....

this leads into McGann and Ecclestone quite well (and has echos of the Colin Baker Doctor) but Tennant is a total break with that and all the better for it as he is a more happy and more rounded Doctor who is genuinely protective of humanity and loves mankind (awwwww shucks)

Poor McCoy hasn't got any votes but the neither has Troughton and I kinda like him, well what I saw of him considering the lost tapes issue. I didn't mind McCoy but once they got to the 6th Doctor the wardrobe people went nuts and while his attire was less outrageous than the 6th Doctors', it was still a bit over the top. I'm glad to see the more recent doctors are wearing some more conservative attire(well in comparison anyway).

Survival was the last ep, not Battlefield. Sorry about that.

Survival was the last ep, not Battlefield. Sorry about that.

I reckon that was his best story ever!:D Annoying thing about a lot of his stories was Ace insisting on calling him Professor!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Christopher Eccleston was good as the Ninth Doctor but I never really felt he was into the character as much as Tennant is.

Eccleston was The Doctor when I started watching, so in a way its hard for anyone else to hold a candle to him in my opinion.

a5y wrote:
    Eccleston was The Doctor when I started watching, so in a way its hard for anyone else to hold a candle to him in my opinion.
    I think many fans would perhaps come across a similar situation, I started watching it with Tom Baker and even though I still consider him the best, I've seen many others and tried to evaluate them the same. There's just something about the character he played(every incarnation of the doctor has their own character as such) that appealed more than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Cant belive Im the ony person that oted for mc coy. Even Colin Baker has two votes and he was shaggin ****e

starn wrote:
    Cant belive Im the ony person that oted for mc coy. Even Colin Baker has two votes and he was shaggin ****e
    He was my second choice. I grew up whilst McCoy was on the air (you too?) and I really liked the way they explored his character in the Virgin novels (his was the one in the novel of "Human Nature"). Just pipped out by Baker's madness.

starn wrote:

I'm an Aussie so I'm not even going to guess what that word that was censored was!

Now the only doctor without any votes is Troughton, shame because I liked him a bit, he was kinda quirky, especially for his time. Although he's one of the least seen doctors these days because of the missing episodes(BBC had gone completely nuts:mad: !) and I would totally vote for him rather than Collin Baker, even when I became to like his character that costume was just too much!:eek: I'm from the generation that grew up without a doctor so to speak, they pulled the show when I was only a couple years old so I didn't even start watching it until I was around 10 and didn't get really into until I was a few years older and saw a lot of old re-runs. I suppose the one doctor I couldn't stand was the first, basically it was because of his old fashioned character, just was too boring for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Philemon86

Tom baker was the first doctor I seen on the repeats they used to show on bbc, for me he is the doctor, though having seen the others I think David Tennent is the best since, although that bloke form the 90's movie was quite good, he only lived on in the audio series though :)
    Oh and I thought MCcoy was dreadfull, there was an episode on a resort planet with rival tour guide fighting gang wars Oh my god was dreadfull !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I started watching when Eccleston came on mainly because I never got to see it when I was a kid and quite frankly what I did see looked so bad it was laughable with the trademark BBC overacting and shoddy sets so I was delighted that they finally decided to put a few bob into it and get it right for a change - Have to say I prefer Tennant - he just has a passion for the role - Eccleston phoned a lot of it in - it was just a job to him and he had no regard for the show in general. Tennant is a huge fan and you can tell it's his dream job - whoever comes after him will have his work cut out to better his performance.

eamon234 wrote:
    I started watching when Eccleston came on mainly because I never got to see it when I was a kid and quite frankly what I did see looked so bad it was laughable with the trademark BBC overacting and shoddy sets.
    This was actually part of its charm to a point but if you're mainly a newer watcher and a younger person(then again I'm only 22) you probably wouldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I didn't see Dr from 1983 till I got BBC via Digital Satellite, due to only having RTE after moving from UK to Co. Clare/ Co. Limerick.

I don't like Russel Davies writing. He has dumbed it down and played up the Horror aspect. I gave up watching the present stuff a few episodes after the welsh one with the re-appearance of the aliens in it the time they blew up No. 10.

I'm an avid SF fan. Even enjoyed Crusade. But basically compared with even below average SF books I think the current Davis stuff is rubbish as far as SF. I pretty much watched Dr who from when the two teachers followed Susan back to the warehouse. I was working in BBC when they erasing tapes for reuse and a bunch of us signed a petition to stop (not just Dr. Who), in later 1970s. It wasn't until years later I learnt they had been burning film too. Read what Oliver Postgate says about Children's TV. (Nogin the Nog, BagPuss, Ivor the Engine etc) http://www.oliverpostgate.co.uk/archive1.html

I started to watch a documentary about Russell Davis with the Wife, but we put it off. The man is disgusting.

Even enjoyed Crusade.

Know where you're coming from there.
    I started to watch a documentary about Russell Davis with the Wife, but we put it off. The man is disgusting.

Dont stop there!!!!!! Need to hear the rest of that story. What made you turn off?

watty wrote:
    I was working in BBC when they erasing tapes for reuse and a bunch of us signed a petition to stop (not just Dr. Who), in later 1970s.
    Glad to see there was some people working there at the time with common sense!:)
    It wasn't until years later I learnt they had been burning film too.
    I don't understand why they were doing this.:eek: I mean I get the reason they were reusing tapes even if I disagree with it but why burn film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

tennant:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Wurzell FTW :D

Advertisement