Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaint Hare/ Rabbit (pics)

Options
  • 02-10-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Was in the long term car park of dublin airport, and saw this what looked like to be a massive rabbit about 24" high, does anybody know anything about it

Resized_CIMG0479.jpg

Resized_CIMG0480.jpg

REAR LEGS (JUST)
    Resized_CIMG0482.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a hare, a normal sized one that is, not a giant one :) Probably a male I'd say going by the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

This thing was feckin massive i dont think ive ever seen a hare anywhere near its size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Awwww!!! ^_^

I hope he doesn't get hurt! :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

He certainly looks like a good sized example, but the males can certainly get that big. I've seen them fighting (boxing) in the spring up in the Wicklow Mountains (Mad March Hares and all that) and when they're up on their hind legs they can look pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bah that's only a pipsqueak :) When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of something like:
    paul$26amberharrods.jpg
    I used to think pics of giant rabbits were photoshopped fakes but according to snopes.com they're legit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is just a regular hare.

Giant rabbits are fairly common - my french lops are the size of a small to medium terrier.

The rabbit in the above post looks like a british giant (not an expert so could be wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Looks like an overfed overbred "Flemish" rabbit. (BrianD's Pic)
    Apparently they are a breed that go back a long time, to the 1800's at least that have been GM'd via breeding programs to become huge. They have a huge tendency for becoming grossly obese and thats how most of the huger ones (above) occur. The normal "Giant Rabbit" should be half that size at most.
    Even their "normal" weight of 15-17lbs can mean a far shorter lifespan than the average rabbit, he looks more like 19+lbs

That poor guy / gal probably has major problems moving and most likely heart and lung problems related to its unnatural size. Even the giant rabbits bodies couldnt cope at that size for long. :(

B

Advertisement