Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legality of replica fire arms?

• 02-10-2006 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the legality of replica firearms? Like say I had a replica rifle in my home, I presume that it would be legal? Also say I was to be stopeed and searched by gardai walking down the street and they were to find a replica desert eagle or whatever on my person, would it still be legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

slipss wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the legality of replica firearms? Like say I had a replica rifle in my home, I presume that it would be legal? Also say I was to be stopeed and searched by gardai walking down the street and they were to find a replica desert eagle or whatever on my person, would it still be legal?

Not up to date on replica firearms over here, however my opinion would be, it would depend if the "Firearm" was at one stage of its life a real one. Then you would probably need a deactivication cert to accompany it. If it was a fake and just made up from, say die cast metal, as an ornament then you wouldn't need the cert. It brings into question, is a deactivated "firearm" with a deactivated cert still a "Firearm". I would say no it isn't, but it now looks like a firearm.

In England Sec 16 Firearms Amendment Act (year?) would forbid the carrying of one unless you could prove you were merely transporting it from one place to another or you had just purchased it from a shop etc. I personally wouldn't be carrying it on the streets, you would be asking for trouble.

Fire your question (no pun intended) over to the shooting section of this website they have some posters in the knowledge there.

All the best.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Thanks Trojan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

slipss wrote:
    say I was to be stopeed and searched by gardai walking down the street and they were to find a replica desert eagle or whatever on my person, would it still be legal?
    Sounds like a context problem. If you had it in a box as a gift for someone and you're walking to the party, well, obviously no problem. If you were walking into a club with it in your pocket though - well, you do know it doesn't have to be a firearm for you to be charged with assault for pointing it at someone, right?

Advertisement