Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart going belly up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

delah wrote:
    It's horrible - everyone is just waiting for the light to go out...:mad:
    Same here... every time I return to my PC I'm wondering is the broadband still up.
    I wish they'd at least tell us how long we have left.
    A lot of people are saying they will be switching to BT.
    I won't... I've found their support staff to be complete cretins who can do nothing more than copy & paste prepared responses.
    isnt there broadband speed a lot slower???
    Than Smarts 6Mb package? definitely yes.
    rockal wrote:
    Hey DonkeyStyle, I'm looking at Magnet as a possible contender.
    Hmmm, I stuck my smart phone number into their online checker dealy and they claim they can't provide. :confused:
    Really though... I'm sure a lot of people at this stage want to make sure they're signing up to a company that'll actually stick around, eircom and BT have that track record even if they are useless gobshítes.
    spurious wrote:
    Until there are official announcements from Smart, I'm not jumping the best BB ship in the country.
    Me neither, but I'm using what little time I have left with my broadband to look into the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

spurious wrote:
    I'm not ruling out Smart BB being taken over by someone other than the Eircom cartel.

Until there are official announcements from Smart, I'm not jumping the best BB ship in the country.

Thats some good advice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

scout353 wrote:
    Been trawling the websites and they all seem to have a number for Smart Telecom customers to call!

Been using UTV for BB with no worries or problems - have UTV talk on that line and had home phone with Smart - at least it stops children from racking up huge bill for calls to mobiles!!!!!!!! :D

I know UTV are resellers of eircon but you can recommend them? I heard they have no cap on their top package (not a huge downloader but prefer not to be watching what I do)
    If Smart go it's a chocie of UTV, BT or Magnet <--though I'm not 100% sure they are in my area and I've heard some dodgy things about their service.

spurious wrote:
    I'm not ruling out Smart BB being taken over by someone other than the Eircom cartel.

Nor me neither, I am extremely happy with the years service (today one year ago was the day I got switched on with Smart!) - but I am literally just waiting for the thing to go kaput!

delah wrote:
    Nor me neither, I am extremely happy with the years service (today one year ago was the day I got switched on with Smart!) - but I am literally just waiting for the thing to go kaput!
    At least you got a year out of them... I went through all the crap of changing providers only since May or June.
    I'm furious that I have to go through all this headwrecking horseshít again so soon. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

delah wrote:
    I know UTV are resellers of eircon but you can recommend them? I heard they have no cap on their top package (not a huge downloader but prefer not to be watching what I do)
    If Smart go it's a chocie of UTV, BT or Magnet <--though I'm not 100% sure they are in my area and I've heard some dodgy things about their service.

Have been using UTV for over a year and have had no trouble. Pay the extra 5.99 for no limits as my son was exceeding cap regularly and I was paying 15-20 euro in penalties so now I have no problems. It has rarely if ever been down and speeds are decent for my needs.

Been approached a number of times by eircom to return and have stayed with Smart for the other line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I was trying to see if it would be worth going for a BT BB package with flat rate call charges so was trying to login to my smart account to look at my old bills - no joy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

Was your broadband affected???

No. I have my broadband with a local cable company, so it wasn't affected, otherwise i'd be in the office 5 days a week. :-(

Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

digitaldr wrote:
    I was trying to see if it would be worth going for a BT BB package with flat rate call charges so was trying to login to my smart account to look at my old bills - no joy though.

Was able to get into my Smart account without any bother an hour ago (8.15pm) Just logged in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Gaelic Telecom

never had a problem with them

and they pay their bills...

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote:
    Iwas trying to login to my smart account to look at my old bills - no joy though.
    Still works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

digitaldr wrote:

If you can log in - Click on 'latest bills' all should be there for this year.

At least you got a year out of them... I went through all the crap of changing providers only since May or June.
    I'm furious that I have to go through all this headwrecking horseshít again so soon. :mad:

That is maddening alright - I know the utter annoyance of changing providers in this so-called technologically advanced country - it's a nightmare and tests your sanity.

scout353 wrote:
    Have been using UTV for over a year and have had no trouble. Pay the extra 5.99 for no limits as my son was exceeding cap regularly and I was paying 15-20 euro in penalties so now I have no problems. It has rarely if ever been down and speeds are decent for my needs.

Been approached a number of times by eircom to return and have stayed with Smart for the other line.

Thanks for that scout.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's so much talk from operators and Comwreck regarding switching providers (RTE News just said that all services will be resumed within 3 days but to use the time to look at alternative operators or something). But, taking myself for example, I'm still under my 12 month contract with Smart (and will be until March). Is this contract suddenly null and void now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

My internet access options haven't sucked this badly since I was kicked off Esat 'No Limits' for exceeding their non-existant limits.
    It wasn't "Esat 'No Limits". It was Esat 'Surf No Limits'. Were you disconnected for "surfing" too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

byte wrote:
    There's so much talk from operators and Comwreck regarding switching providers (RTE News just said that all services will be resumed within 3 days but to use the time to look at alternative operators or something). But, taking myself for example, I'm still under my 12 month contract with Smart (and will be until March). Is this contract suddenly null and void now?
    Smart Telecom is still around. You are still around. The conditions for an enforceable contract remain. I’m assuming you have gone through offer, acceptance, consideration and the other basics to form a contractual relationship.

While I don’t agree with minimum sign-up periods (you don’t come across them in free competitive broadband marketplaces) – or when you are buying detergent in a supermarket you don’t have to sign up to committing yourself to buying the same detergent brand for 12 months. However if you are happy with the product performance and price you’ll invariably make repeat purchases of the same product when you run out. The telecoms industry should be no different.

.probe

Foxwood wrote:
    Were you disconnected for "surfing" too much?
    Yes.
    And your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Yes.
    And your point is?
    My point is that if you're going to play semantic games, you should at least be consistent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockal
    Hey DonkeyStyle, I'm looking at Magnet as a possible contender.

Quote: Donkeystyle
    Hmmm, I stuck my smart phone number into their online checker dealy and they claim they can't provide.

I put my Smart number in and got the Can't Provide response, but when I put my old Eircon number in, i got Service Available.

I'm on Coolock Exchange, BB & Phone, No incoming calls but have out-going and BB :-)

Going to wait and see what happens, if Smart can provide the service, will stay with them, not going back to Eircon anyway.

• Advertisement

ST wrote:
    I put my Smart number in and got the Can't Provide response, but when I put my old Eircon number in, i got Service Available.
    Same here actually... may be promising.
    Foxwood wrote:
    My point is that if you're going to play semantic games, you should at least be consistent about it.
    What a great point to make on a thread about Smart telecom going under... couldn't you have posted it in say... Afterhours?
    Anyway, yawn, isn't Foxwood big and clever everybody. *claps*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

DonkeyStyle, Foxwood, cut it out and get back on topic. That means no replys or whines to this post too - take it up on Feedback or PM me if you have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Here's something from a boarder on Smart
    Magnet seemed very pushy for an immediate sign-up for their 2meg contention free deal....say they can have 'things' up & running in 'about' 2weeks....
    Think I'll wait until the dust settles.....who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

byte wrote:

Might be worth your while seeing if you can get out of it by ''breech of contract'' they failled to offer you with service when you got cut off. I wonder if you just signed up with another company like BT would they be able to do anything. I wonder what will happen to Smart. Switching back on customers so that they can sign up with another company doesnt sound like Smart will be that reliable in future!!! If I was a Smart customer I would have signed up with another company ASAP !!!! If you get cut off again you may not get the chance to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anyone see the news? Im pretty sure this thread was just shown and a
    post read out!... Who was the dude?? are you out there?:D

Anyone see the news? Im pretty sure this thread was just shown and a
    post read out!... Who was the dude?? are you out there?:D
    I'm not sure which news report you mean, but the clip used on RTE's 6'oclock news was of the Smart Telecom support forum AFAIK.
    The guy posted about it here >> http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=856&page=4
    Needless to say that forum is very active today.

This is the actual post he read out >> http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=7196&postcount=12

Yeah I was thinking the same , deffo this website shown. Also Prime Time was quite informative. I think Smart will loose alot of people just due to fear of being left with nothing.

I agree with the guy that said it may put people off switching from Eircom but I hope it doesnt that would be bad for competition. UTV and BT are very stable companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Primetime was it? Damien Mulley of Ireland offline? I missed most of it sadly. Damiens doing a good job as usual of trying to put across the reality of the situation rather than the Eirscum spin.

Hmm, I wonder if we could put a fund together to put a full page ad into the papers to express our "displeasure" at the Eirscum monopoly? I remember a company I worked for at one point taking out adverts to apologise for Eirscums incompetence in not being able to fix their own lines for almost two weeks and thus cutting us off effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im gonna ride it out, i only use the broadband so i dont care about the voice and the BB is the best deal around.

no way in hell am i going back to eircom, ive been ****ed over too many times before to go back to them and its bloody obvious theyve been doing everything in their power to block smart at every turn. between losing my number and fecking me around getting connected (4 fecking months) to a situation where they wouldnt get their finger out and repair my line cause i switched to smart theyve burned every bridge they have with me.

if smart goes its Digeweb for me. not as good but a bit cheaper and i dont have to worry about line rental. thank god im in dublin, the service might be crap but at least im not in the same boat as you poor sods down the country

• Advertisement

Wouldnt it be great if Eircom got no Smart customers back . I would advise all Smart customers who need to switch to go to BT or UTV and under no circumstanses go to Eircom !!!! BT have a new package and if you sign up online its FREE connection . Broadband 1MB and Total Talk Eur45 a month all in !!! 2MB is Eur 53 and 3MB is around Eur 65 that includes all your call Irish and UK and line rental !!! Not bad

www.btireland.ie

www.utvinternet.ie

www.imagine.ie

www.perlico.ie

www.magnet.ie

www.callcosts.ie

Just posted these websites if anyone needs to compare rates etc....

Advertisement