Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Wireless Router

Options
  • 02-10-2006 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

I just have a quick question thay maybe someone has the answer to here.

I am looking at getting BT broadband for wireless distribution. Does anyone here know what the standard router that they provide you with? Also what are the security capabilities (WPA, WPA2) of that router? I want to know basically whether I would be better off with 3rd party wireless routerwith the wired one. I'm looking to set it up in an average semi detached house.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Just for the sake of clarity, BT doesn't do "wireless Broadband". That terms means the delivery of broadband to your home over the air - current "wireless Broadband" providers include IBB, Clearwire, Digiweb and a rake of others (including eircom) but not BT.

Can you change the title of the thread to refer to BT's "wi-fi router" or something?

(BT provide ZyXEL routers. There have been some complaints that they don't provide a particularly powerful wi-fi signal, but as with all things wireless, your milage may vary).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Foxwood wrote:
    Just for the sake of clarity, BT doesn't do "wireless Broadband". That terms means the delivery of broadband to your home over the air - current "wireless Broadband" providers include IBB, Clearwire, Digiweb and a rake of others (including eircom) but not BT.

Can you change the title of the thread to refer to BT's "wi-fi router" or something?

(BT provide ZyXEL routers. There have been some complaints that they don't provide a particularly powerful wi-fi signal, but as with all things wireless, your milage may vary).

Thanks for that, although to be fair I think the post made it pretty clear what I was asking about! I have commonly heard people (techies and not!) referring to this kind of set up as wireless broadband.

Now, does anyone know what the model of the wireless routers typically provided is? I just want to get an idea before signing up and paying extra fopr one that I may end up chucking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Your post was clear enough to me.:)
    They provide the Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 as their wifi dsl modem, terrible modem. Very weak signal. The only way I got reliable wifi in my terraced house was to buy a belkin wifi router and sit it on top of the unit. I'd go for the standard option and buy some hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks very much for the info nicelives. I have a 3rd party one in mind that's pretty good for coverage (had one belong to someone else in the house before and got full coverage for a LAN), but a bit on the pricey end, so I wanted to make sure it was necessary before splashing out on it.

Advertisement