Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longer Stories?

Options
  • 02-10-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Although we have had several two parters during the "new" run (so much for my own charter) do you think we will ever see good old style long er stories, a la Genesis of the Daleks (but not like Trial of a Time Lord)?

The current two-parters do add up to 90 mins, three old epesode lengths, and there is plenty in them, and to have every epesode end with a silly cliffhanger may be too worn out for today's audiences, but I feel that stories could go longer.

Is it down to the style of writing, there is an obivous difference in the pacing and style of the stories in the new seasons, that makes the older ones look plodding or is it a lack of confidence in people sticking with a story for three or four weeks?

As an analogy I would cite Coronation Street - can you imaging a storyline that lasts a few years like the Alan Bradly one in the 80's now? Any storyline seems to burn up after two or three weeks, as five installments a week have to be filled up.

I think that they should be brave and throw in a three parter next year.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Completely agree - and I've argued this elsewhere (principally on digitalspy). Season 2 should have ended on a 3-parter as the scale of the Dalek vs Cyberman should have been more epic: instead it was somewhat rushed over compared to what we could have had.

The problem with doing as it is currently is that it can compact stories too much - there's no sense of setup. Recentlyish I watched the old '60s serial "Dalek Invasion of Earth" and quite enjoyed how they were able to build up and provide a better feeling of the occupation given they had more episodes to work with.

In the old days, it was rare to even get a two-parter (which would be somewhat longer than a current 1-parter, clocking in at around 50 mins) - I'm pretty sure "Black Orchid" was but struggle to think of others off the top of my head. I think there was only ever the 1-parter ("Mission to the Unknown" - "Five Doctors" doesn't count as it's a special). Now this led often to a lot of padding - endless chats with the companions around the console or UNIT deploying or those damned corridors - and often it's good that we've stripped them down. But we definetely need some length if we're to get, as you say, classics like "Genesis of the Daleks" or "City of Death" etc. Hell, I even enjoyed the big bunch of Season 7 7-parters for the most...

If not longer stories, how do we all feel about loose arc story lines, like the Key-to-Time segment? Or do we want more "Bad Wolf"-style arcs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I think the arc of "Bad Wolf" worked well for the show, especially the lead up to it. It was the best story of the past two seasons imo. I wouldn't mind seeing some more stories produced in a similar style. I don't feel too confident about this coming to pass though. Since the show is aimed primarily towards kids and the modern child has the attention span of a goldfish, I'd say we'll be lucky to get more that a few 2-parters per season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thats why I stopped watching the new series actually.
    I remember as a kid watching from monday to friday in the afternoons and it would take a week to finish an episode.
    There just doesnt seem to be any effort put into these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Yes it does appear that they are using concepts that are referenced through a season, Bad Wolf last year and about five or six references to Torchwood this year.

So, my guess is that they'll be doing the same next year, watch out for recurring names.

Also, whatever about short attention span this side of the pond dont forget that its being shown over in the USA as well and the 45 min eps are 1 hour long over there and you never get more then a two parter in the states, not even Babylon 5 and JMS did that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also, whatever about short attention span this side of the pond dont forget that its being shown over in the USA as well and the 45 min eps are 1 hour long over there and you never get more then a two parter in the states, not even Babylon 5 and JMS did that!
    Well it's true that the 45min format was chosen with the US in mind, but shows like "Babylon 5" had continuous arcs - one episode did follow on from the next and you'd be lost missing an installment, even if it didn't say "Part 3" etc.

A good arc could employ that model - one long story - rather than a concept like "Bad Wolf".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

I don't think you can accuse american audiences of short attention spans anymore - shows like Lost, 24 or Deadwood move the story along step by step over 22 weeks! I think the writing's been very strong in the new series and the 45 minute format does give more writers the chance to really put their stamp on a story but it would be nice to see more longer stories to allow more subtleties of characterisation and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

ixoy wrote:
    Well it's true that the 45min format was chosen with the US in mind, but shows like "Babylon 5" had continuous arcs - one episode did follow on from the next and you'd be lost missing an installment, even if it didn't say "Part 3" etc.

I adore B5 but I have to say I don't think that style of arc would work for DW. B5 was only ever designed to run for a limited number of seasons and was aimed at a much more adult audience, whereas DW has been going for years without a huge amount of continuity in storyline or characters, stopping and starting and yet soldiering on. Now I have to say that part of DW's appeal is its lack of continuity and the ability to laugh at itself :) And since it is aimed at the younger audience, I can understand that the design is such that one can watch and enjoy an episode here and there without having to commit to a story arc several years long. Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement