Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utv Wep / WPA

• 02-10-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

hey

What are the advantages of this as all I have is the 'hide wireless network' and changed the password on the admin panel

How can I go about setting up a WPA / WEP on my router ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I do not have UTV BB but normally when you bring up the routers settings(typically a web page ie: http://192.168.1.254/), you should see a setting "Wireless". When you select this go into the "Advanced Configuration Options". There you should see the security settings for the wireless network. You should be able to select WEP or WPA. WPA-PSK is a better option for securing your network and here enter the "Pre Shared Key" or "Passphrase" which will be used for accessing the network. The options for your particular network may differ but should be similar.

The advantages are the fact that no one else can pick up your network and use it for there own ends. Determined ppl can and do sniff out unprotected wireless networks. WAP security is considered less secure than WPA and can be cracked in less than 30mins. If your network is breached any activity on that network will be attributed to you not to mention your own personal information being vunerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Thanks for this

found the below site

http://www.voyager.bt.com/selfhelp/shc/2100security/2100security_wep.htm

Seems easy enough to do just have to figure 13 character alpha-numeric password ?

Also point 11

If you are currently connected with a wireless computer, the connection will disconnect as you now need to enter the network key into settings for your wireless adapter.For assistance doing this click here

What does this mean ?
    I have is an IEEE802.11g Wlan Mini usb adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If you are changing these settings through a wireless connection with your router (and not with a LAN cable connection) you will be automatically disconnected from your WLAN as you have not entered the required security key to access it. When you try connect again you will have to enter in the new key you've created.

Hope this make sense.

S.M.B. wrote:
    When you try connect again you will have to enter in the new key you've created.

Yes it is a wireless connection

so when I try to connect again I will have to key in the 13 character password ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yes. It should ask you for the password on trying to reconnect. If not you can enter it in the "Wireless Network Properties" of your WLAN before you try and reconnect. Either way should be fine!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that

hard enough to remember a 4 character password but a 13 :confused:

May try set this up during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Thanks for that

hard enough to remember a 4 character password but a 13 :confused:

May try set this up during the week
    You only have to enter it once. The laptop will remember it.

Here's a suggestion for a long passphrase that would be easy to remember, yet hard to crack:
    "May try set this up during the week"

Ok tried everything and then tried to set up the network adapter but could not connect

below are the settings on the network card so what do I need to change on these

Net Status

Site Scan

Eircom is the neighbours

Encryption

I'd suggest that you broadcast your SSID at least until you've figured out how to connect to it.

As you're using the drivers provided by the wireless card, you should also make sure that you disable the Wireless Zero Configuration Service in the Services Control Panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Ok tried everything and then tried to set up the network adapter but could not connect

below are the settings on the network card so what do I need to change on these

Net Status

Site Scan

Eircom is the neighbours

Encryption

looks like your on an older service pack update to sp2 (if its xp) AFIK wpa psk wont work with sp1..thye newer service pack makes configeration easier.....I'm open to correction..

ps when ya do get it working log on to www.grc.com/pass for long pass phrases (can make it uncrackable)
    a thirteen digit pass phrase could be brute forced easy enough

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    I'd suggest that you broadcast your SSID at least until you've figured out how to connect to it.

How do i do this ?

As you're using the drivers provided by the wireless card, you should also make sure that you disable the Wireless Zero Configuration Service in the Services Control Panel.

Again how do I do this ?

Also using Windows xp home so have upgraded

JohnnieM wrote:
    looks like your on an older service pack update to sp2 (if its xp) AFIK wpa psk wont work with sp1..thye newer service pack makes configeration easier.....I'm open to correction..

ps when ya do get it working log on to www.grc.com/pass for long pass phrases (can make it uncrackable)
    a thirteen digit pass phrase could be brute forced easy enough
    You'll be much more secure using a passphrase like "a thirteen digit pass phrase could be brute forced" than a completely unreadable and hard to enter 13-character random string.

Brute forcing even a 13 character WPA password is a large task (you're not talking minutes or hours). Taking it up to a 40 or 50 character password brings you into the realm of centuries.

Advertisement