Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Experience of VW Phaeton?

Options
  • 02-10-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Anyone here got knowledge/ experience of VW Phaeton.
    Considering importing from UK 3.0 tdi 225hp.

Have driven a little in UK and fantastic refinement.
    Poor residuals make it a fantastic car as a 18 mth old purchase.
    To me it appears equivalent in refinement to 730, but with no image issues and some lovely options (18 way air conditioned seats are like nothing else!)

Down side, if there is one, is limited local expertise, limited resale (!) in Ireland, but as I would plan 100K + ownership, not even a 730d is worth anything at that stage.

Experience of UK owners appears very positive ( via web)

All opinions, even roll around laughing, appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I've never driven one, but the whole anti-badge (ish) thing appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd buy an Audi A8 tbh, a far classier car than the VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

junkyard wrote:
    I'd buy an Audi A8 tbh, a far classier car than the VW.

Yes but the Phaeton doesn't have the right badge in this company so will be bought for alot less than the A8. The Phaeton is also very rare compared to the A8 which will make it a bit of a novelty on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most people won't notice that it isn't a Passat. They'll just presume that it's closer than it actually is.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There's a petrol one for sale at the mo, in Mullingar

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=301020

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

Thanks for positive feedback.
    FYI Maths are as follows
    Landed price for 2005 3.0tdi 225bhp < Eu60K, ~ 10 to 15 k miles
    Astounding spec
    typically
    18 way ventilated massage air con seats ( must be sat in on a hot sticky day to be appreciated!)
    Super Stereo
    TV
    4 WD
    Air suspension
    Double glazing
    Xenon
    + other stuff

It's closely related to A8 ( engine, drivetrain & suspension)
    Also related closely to Bentley chassis ( hand built side by side in Dresden)
    Interior photos show identical control layout & elctronics on Bentley & VW:

Down side is it weighs 2300 Kg ( 730d weighs only(!) 1900kg) so only 30 to 35 mpg (< 25 around town)

So I could but a 1 year old basic 730d for about 80K ( lost 25k in one year)
    and get slagged by all my customers
    OR
    Get a super luxury Phateon that everyone thinks is a fat passat and save 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fortyplus wrote:
    Get a super luxury Phateon that everyone thinks is a fat passat and save 20k.

Go for it!

The only problem I'd have with a Phaeton is the sheer size of it. My brother has an A8 and, wonderful car as it is, it's just that bit too big for city driving. I say this as someone who likes, and is used to driving, big cars. That said, if I were going to buy a newish diesel car of that size the Phaeton would be right at the top of my list.

Anan1 wrote:
    The only problem I'd have with a Phaeton is the sheer size of it. My brother has an A8 and, wonderful car as it is, it's just that bit too big for city driving

I drive a 7-series which is about the same size as those cars. I do not find it too big for city driving although it can get a bit tight with multi-story parking etc.

The Phaeton the OP is planning to buy is loaded with options, so it probably has PDC front and rear, which makes a useful difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Phaeton ftw!!

The Top Gear guys couldn't praise it more, and I think it's a kickass piece of kit :D

unkel wrote:
    I drive a 7-series which is about the same size as those cars. I do not find it too big for city driving although it can get a bit tight with multi-story parking etc.

The Phaeton the OP is planning to buy is loaded with options, so it probably has PDC front and rear, which makes a useful difference

I think these cars might be even bigger than the E32 7 series, I know the A8 certainly feels it. PDC may help, but it won't actually shrink the car! That said, I suppose it's really all about where the car's going to be used. One other thing is that larger BMW & Mercedes seem to have better steering lock than the A8 - I wonder has it anything to do with drive also being fed to the front wheels?

Indeed I have been considering the size implications.
    Most of my driving is long trips: Dublin Cork & back in the same day ( + a days work in the middle) So comfort & safety are the key issues.
    Not so much town driving. ( wife has an A3 for that..)
    Dimensions are virtually idential to the current 730.
    To be really sad
    Phaeton is
    16mm longer
    1 mm narrower
    41mm lower
    turning circle 12m: same for both
    400kg heavier...

It has PDC all round. I had a 730d for a day and you get used to the size pretty quickly, but still not ideal for tecso car park..

The only thing that has held me back is that even thought everyone says "go for it"... no one ever does. When did you last see a Phaeton here in Ireland. There was one for sale in tallaght, but a non franchised dealer so I was not that interested. Interesting that it did indeed sell last week.

Why is nobody taking the view I am?
    Is it by the time you can afford something like this the natural assumption is BMW, MB etc.
    Or are many of the "high end" purchases company cars so s/h is out of the question?
    Is it it pure status BS

Anan1 wrote:
    I think these cars might be even bigger than the E32 7 series, I know the A8 certainly feels it

I've an E38 which is a bit bigger than an E32. The E38, any A8 and the Phaeton (all in normal length - the long versions of any of them are indeed huge!) are around 5m long and 1.9m wide, give or take a few centimeters
    Anan1 wrote:
    larger BMW & Mercedes seem to have better steering lock than the A8

RWD cars (like all BMW and Mercedes saloons) generally have a smaller turning circle than FWD cars. The quattro system on the A8 or the 4-motion on the VW do not decrease the turning circle compared to their siblings that only have FWD. The turning circle of a 7-series is roughly the same as that of a FWD car a full size smaller, like an A6

So I suppose that could make a bit of a difference in city centre driving and parking...

fortyplus wrote:
    Why is nobody taking the view I am?
    Is it by the time you can afford something like this the natural assumption is BMW, MB etc.
    Or are many of the "high end" purchases company cars so s/h is out of the question?
    Is it it pure status BS

I think it is mainly a status thing. The problem with the status argument is that, even if you don't care yourself, there is a price to be paid at resale. Most people in the market for such a car will be thinking of trading every couple of years, as the status value of a big car wears off quickly with age. That said, if you plan on keeping the car long-term then this isn't going to be a worry for you.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think it is mainly a status thing. The problem with the status argument is that, even if you don't care yourself, there is a price to be paid at resale. Most people in the market for such a car will be thinking of trading every couple of years, as the status value of a big car wears off quickly with age. That said, if you plan on keeping the car long-term then this isn't going to be a worry for you.

I look at deprecation in absolute terms rather than %.
    If I buy a new 5series and tick the boxes to make a "luxury spec" it will easily make 80K: 730 is €100K +

I do ~20k miles year (almost all buisness) so in 4 years with 80 or 90 K miles it worth not a lot anyhow.

If I start at €60K, do my 100K + miles, (and I feel this would be easy in a Phaeton) than any residual is a bonus. If all is well one just keeps driving.
    I have a 2003 320d right now with 75K miles and it drives like new in every way. I would hapilly drive it on for a few more years, but I want more comfort, so long term ownership is fine for me. I really feel that a modern design of a quality car will happily do up to 200k with reasonable care & maintenance.

fortyplus wrote:
    I look at deprecation in absolute terms rather than %

If you're going to own it for another 4/5 years and 100k miles, at the end the 730d will have lost about €10k more at a quick guess. If you'll drive it into the ground and you won't expect any resale value at all than we don't need to guess. The Phaeton will have cost you €80k - €60k = €20k less in depreciation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

Go for it. VWs are not really my thing, but I am into the Citroens so not much upstairs then :) I intend to get a C6 but I will have to wait another year, again it will be a long term thing and at the end of the day I am the one sitting in it all day and if it keeps me happy who else matters, and if the Phaeton does the same for you why worry what everyone else thinks. Going for the car as a long term proprosition the resale is not going to make much difference. Anyway too many Mercs and Beemers around, CBG is full of them.

As an alternative, have you considered petrol?

Think about it for a second. Your mileage is not that high. Your savings in fuel is only about €1k-€2k per year which is nothing compared to depreciation. A BMW 7-series V8 petrol will depreciate like mad in the first year or two, so would be very cheap to buy nearly new. The saving in depreciation will more than offset the extra fuel cost and a bit more tax

And then there's all the other benefits of driving a V8 :D

Dark horse to be considered if you like your music: Lexus LS430...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

unkel wrote:

Think about it for a second. Your mileage is not that high. Your savings in fuel is only about €1k-€2k per year which is nothing compared to depreciation. A BMW 7-series V8 petrol will depreciate like mad in the first year or two, so would be very cheap to buy nearly new. The saving in depreciation will more than offset the extra fuel cost and a bit more tax

Diesel is cheaper to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Get the Phaeton if you have to have a diesel, although saying that I haven't been in one. I have been in a LS430 in the States during the summer though and it was the best luxury car I've ever been in, although I've not been in the new S-Class yet.

You see a few Phaetons in the UK, I've only seen one over here, parked on Waterloo road, which is a definite bonus.

unkel wrote:

This is a very good point. As a long-term ownership proposition, I could also imagine a Lexus as being a lot more painless than a German car.

Diesel is cheaper to buy.

RTFP :rolleyes:

@20k miles per annum, the saving in fuel is about €1500 assuming 40MPG for the diesel (€1.02/l) compared to 25MPG for petrol (€1.06/l) which I think are realistic for mainly long drives

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Sorry OP, I have to tell you to stay clear. The Phaeton mentioned earlier in this thread on carzone was actually mine. It was 110k new and I bought it 18 months old for Euro 65k with 10k KMs.

I had a older model A8 4.2 quattro before this.

The Phaeton is a super car in most respects. Super build quality, great comfort and super extras.

However I had enough of it after 6 months. The handling is nothing like the A8. Front wheel drive is not good, the 3.2 petrol is underpowered. most people thought it was the new passat while some thought is was a Jetta.

Biggest problem of all was that it was impossible to trade. Not a single VW garage out of 6 I tried was prepared to offer me more than 40k. I had only put on 6k on the clock. In the end I traded it for an M3 convertible and I lost Euro 13k for my 6 months.

I considered this car for all the same reasons as the OP. Going again I would pay a bit more for the older S class. I think the 7 looks like a pig!

onemanband wrote:
    Sorry OP, I have to tell you to stay clear. The Phaeton mentioned earlier in this thread on carzone was actually mine. It was 110k new and I bought it 18 months old for Euro 65k with 10k KMs

Great value for money. Just what the OP is looking for
    onemanband wrote:
    Biggest problem of all was that it was impossible to trade

OP is not interest in trading it in
    onemanband wrote:
    The handling is nothing like the A8

And probably nothing like a 7-series either. The handling doesn't seem to concern the OP much
    onemanband wrote:
    he 3.2 petrol is underpowered

OP is considering the diesel which by no means is underpowered
    onemanband wrote:
    most people thought it was the new passat while some thought is was a Jetta

Great! All the more reason to buy one

onemanband wrote:
    Sorry OP, I have to tell you to stay clear. The Phaeton mentioned earlier in this thread on carzone was actually mine. It was 110k new and I bought it 18 months old for Euro 65k with 10k KMs.

I had a older model A8 4.2 quattro before this.

The Phaeton is a super car in most respects. Super build quality, great comfort and super extras.

However I had enough of it after 6 months. The handling is nothing like the A8. Front wheel drive is not good, the 3.2 petrol is underpowered. most people thought it was the new passat while some thought is was a Jetta.

Biggest problem of all was that it was impossible to trade. Not a single VW garage out of 6 I tried was prepared to offer me more than 40k. I had only put on 6k on the clock. In the end I traded it for an M3 convertible and I lost Euro 13k for my 6 months.

I considered this car for all the same reasons as the OP. Going again I would pay a bit more for the older S class. I think the 7 looks like a pig!

Very interesting OneManBand!!
    A few small things: In all the UK posts the feeling is that the 3.0 diesel is better than the 3.2 petrol. I have only experience of the diesel.
    Very few FWD were made: Am I correct in thinking yours was FWD. All 3.0 Diesel are 4 motion (AWD).

I have the chance for an extended test drive in the next week or so, to decide on the real worls issues. Time will tell.
    All the UK diesel owners seem to love the car.
    The key negative issue is that it would be an absolute commitment: live with it for 100k miles or else get nailed on the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Can I suggest that considering the amount of money you are thinking of spending, and the type of cars we are talking about..... there is little chance that you will be able to keep this car for 10 years, no matter how good it is?

Some other nice big lovely car will catch your eye in perhaps 3-4 years and you will be stuck then!

If you are into cars and want to have a nice car then owning one for 10 years is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

onemanband wrote:
    most people thought it was the new passat while some thought is was a Jetta.

:D Call me a snob but this would probably really p*** me off after a while. Imagine spending €60k on a car and everytime someone gets into it you have to explain what it is... 'no actually its a Phaeton... what a foetus?... no,no. Aw s*** I'm buying a beemer..."

€40k though mmm...

Tinker13 wrote:
    onemanband wrote:

:D Call me a snob but this would probably really p*** me off after a while. Imagine spending €60k on a car and everytime someone gets into it you have to explain what it is... 'no actually its a Phaeton... what a foetus?... no,no. Aw s*** I'm buying a beemer..."

€40k though mmm...

It all depends on how self-confident you are, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Tinker13 wrote:
    onemanband wrote:

It all depends on how self-confident you are, to be honest.

Status is a funny thing... In the school the kids are in I see Continental GT, S class Merc, up the road was a Quatroporte. If I wanted anyone to notice I would need to spend 150K++.
    At 40+ who gives a hoot what anyone thinks.

I am not out to impress anyone, quite the reverse...

Advertisement