Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Experience of VW Phaeton?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you are happy with your 320d, then why not just jump up to a 525 or 530d?

I think something like this would be more than comfortable on the long journeys you are making. Plus if you do get bored in a few yrs, then you should have no trouble shifting one of them, especially the 525d.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=508559

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=449615

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=376602

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

fortyplus wrote:
    Very interesting OneManBand!!
    A few small things: In all the UK posts the feeling is that the 3.0 diesel is better than the 3.2 petrol. I have only experience of the diesel.
    Very few FWD were made: Am I correct in thinking yours was FWD. All 3.0 Diesel are 4 motion (AWD).

I have the chance for an extended test drive in the next week or so, to decide on the real worls issues. Time will tell.
    All the UK diesel owners seem to love the car.
    The key negative issue is that it would be an absolute commitment: live with it for 100k miles or else get nailed on the sale.

Yep mine was FWD and not very good at that. If the 4motion is half as good as the A8 then it should be much better. The diesel may also be better for performance and resale.

However, you come across as a guy who knows his stuff and is passionate about cars. I would argue then that the likelyhood of you keeping this car for years and years is unlikely. I made the mistake with many cars of not considering the resale. The issue I had was not one of price, it was that most of the dealers had no interest. I had it up on carzone and got one call. Just consider this as you will find no fault with the car when you drive it. The problems may come later.

For me most people thinking it was a passat did not bother me. The people who know cars will know it is a phaeton straight away.

If you do go for it then happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote:
    RTFP :rolleyes:

@20k miles per annum, the saving in fuel is about €1500 assuming 40MPG for the diesel (€1.02/l) compared to 25MPG for petrol (€1.06/l) which I think are realistic for mainly long drives

Petrol 99c/l, diesel 103.5c/l, don't know where you're buying your diesel that it's cheaper than petrol but I'm sure the MPG can't be that different on big engines between petrol and diesel

Lexus LS430 full tank (84l) give or take = 700km combined - and the op is doing mainly motorway so higher

Lexus GS450h full tank (63l) and gives 35MPG combined

Phaeton 3.0 TDI is 9.5l/100km extra urban
    LS430 is 8.5l/100km extra urban, which is actually better and considering petrol is cheaper would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

More than you could ever want to know about the Phaeton:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1652232
    I think it's quite a good looking car - understated style, and all that - plus, the luxury interior is lovely. It sounds like you've already made up your mind that you want it and if you're happy with it for the next 5 years then it'll be a good buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninty9er wrote:
    Petrol 99c/l, diesel 103.5c/l, don't know where you're buying your diesel that it's cheaper than petrol ...
    Round here (Dublin/Wicklow) diesel is currently 4 or 5 cents a litre cheaper than petrol. Things can change quite rapidly though, especially if we have a cold winter in which case this will probably reverse, like it did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote:
    Petrol 99c/l, diesel 103.5c/l, don't know where you're buying your diesel

I'm not buying diesel anywhere. My figures are ball park hence my €1k-€2k saving per annum give or take 3 cents ;)

It's quite possible the price of petrol will be slightly different from exactly 103.5c/l in 5 years time ;)
    ninty9er wrote:
    I'm sure the MPG can't be that different on big engines between petrol and diesel

That was one of the reasons in my asking the OP did he consider going petrol. So how about it, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't know about anyone else here but if I could afford to pay 60k for a car I wouldn't give a fiddlers how much petrol or diesel cost!!!
    If the man wants a Phaeton let him buy a Phaeton - and apparently it's got much more in common with the Bentley than the A8.
    Just don't drive up my arse in it on the Cork road my lowly 00 Octavia's very sensitive....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

onemanband wrote:
    Yep mine was FWD and not very good at that. If the 4motion is half as good as the A8 then it should be much better. The diesel may also be better for performance and resale.

For me most people thinking it was a passat did not bother me. The people who know cars will know it is a phaeton straight away.

Onemanband..
    FWD and not very good at that? What exactly do you mean: lots of traction lights flashing I would expect, 200hp through the front wheels and >2000kg, or was there some other issue?

Obviously it was bad enough to get rid of it and get whacked on the trade in.
    It was never going to be a match for the M3!!

It's great to see the opinions. To me Phaeton is pure understatment.
    It is without doubt a barge, but on days when you spend 7 hours in the car a barge is just what's needed. It's not for running to the shop for the paper (push bike for that).

It's also a risk because of all the complex electronics, but someone once said that we usually regret most the things we did not do, rather than the things we did. I think it's the the pure amount of technology that attracts me to the car. And all those buttons... I always was a fidgit as a kid. Keep me happy for hours.

Regarding Petrol V Diesel. At the end of the day none of us want to spend more money that we have to. 225bhp is lots for me. It will still do 30ish mpg overall.
    Several of the other cars suggested will do well to get 25mpg, and unless quite old are quite expensive.
    To me being mistaken for a passat in my customers car park is a good thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fortyplus wrote:
    Regarding Petrol V Diesel. At the end of the day none of us want to spend more money that we have to

My point entirely. I haven't done the sums for the Phaeton, but a 7-series petrol might be cheaper in total cost of ownership for you than a 7-series diesel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In the vein of big cars with the wrong badge, how about a Honda Legend? Depreciate like you wouldn't believe, loadsa toys, equipment, luxury and will be more reliable than the Phaeton.

And no-one will be mistaking it for a lowlier car :)

(Tho IMHO, the 2007 Legend looks super, and has that award winning AWD system)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Legend was in my list before I got the safranes and still is forthe next change ( a couple of years away now :( ) When it comes time to change the safrane I dont want to drop down in spec, so I reckon the only cars I'll find with a similar level of spec at decent money will be the Legend, 607, C6, Phaeton or a Vel Satis. None of which I'd be unhappy about owning. :)

Incidentally, how come the Legend isnt mentioned at all on Honda's Irish site? EDIT, or the Uk one?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    Incidentally, how come the Legend isnt mentioned at all on Honda's Irish site? EDIT, or the Uk one?

From www.honda.ie dated 2005:

http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=4468

Stekelly wrote:
    At the moment the Legend can't be bought new (aside from old stock at dealers), as Honda are in that "limbo" period where production of the old model is finished and the 2007 model (for export) isn't available yet.

BTW, you've a scary amount of French cars on your list! (I don't like car trouble!)

bazz26 wrote:

The new domestic version (as always) is available in the home market long before anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote:
    BTW, you've a scary amount of French cars on your list! (I don't like car trouble!)

Either do I , and I've had none. Well none that wasnt my own faultI did manage to drain the engine of coolant on the first safrane by not clicking the hose back in properly, so the next day on my way to work I started seeing a worrying amount of smoke/steam comign from the overheating engine. From then on I always cast an eye one the temp gauge every now and then when I drive any car just in case. Who'd have thought that a car with an on board computer that talks to you when faults arise wouldnt have a voice prompt for an overheating engine. Car companies should really allow for things like that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

Stekelly wrote:
    so I reckon the only cars I'll find with a similar level of spec at decent money will be the Legend, 607, C6, Phaeton or a Vel Satis. None of which I'd be unhappy about owning. :)

Is it not a little unfair to class the Phaeton along with the 607/C6/ Vel Satis.
    These are big cars made by mass manufacturers but in the same model of their "everyday" cars. I once drove a Vel Satis and it felt to be sculpted from jelly, in comparison the Phaeton from granite.

I see on a UK Phaeton forum the alternative purchases for those who bought Phaeton were Range Rover, Jag XJ, 5/7 series.

For those who have not sat & travelled in one, do it if you get the chance. VW never marketed it properly. It should have been a much bigger seller. I am still inclined to think it's the secret luxury s/h bargin in 3.0 tdi/4WD format

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

they're lovely cars and so rare. (I've only ever seen one on Irish roads) I'd say get one if the price is good.....:D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement