Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbol of Donegal/Gweedore?

• 02-10-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum.

Basically it's my Dad's birthday soon, and I'm getting him this handcrafted oak decorative...plaque...thing...anyway! The guy who's making it will carve symbols and words onto it if he has a reference image.

My Dad's from Glasgow but sees Gweedore as home, wondering are there any symbols that are "native" to Gweedore that I could have this guy carve? I'd need a link to an image. The symbol on the Donegal crest is a bit obvious, but that's the kinda thing I'm after. It'll do fine if nobody can offer any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wouldnt be too sure myself as to what type of image or logo that would be symbolic of Gweedore but hang in there and someone will come up with something.

An image of Errigal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

one image of gweedore that has always stuck in my mind was the boat in the small bay at ostann gweedore, I think it was left there years ago and has now become part of the scenery.

I know it is not the idea you are looking for but it may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

The boat's a great idea, use to visit that every time I was up with my Dad, but don't know if that'd be possible to carve into a pice of oak! :p Hmm, I'll look into that though, thanks.

Thought about the Errigal too but again seems hard to carve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How about a carving of 'FAILTE GHAOTHDOBHAIR' I think it would be a wee bit unusual (maybe!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Errigal and the boat are prob the most famous images of gweedore.
    But if they both seem too hard, what about something more obscure?
    like a carving of the whole parish and coastline?
    Or something in Irish associated with gweedore, like 'Ghleantai Glas Gath Dobhair'? or clannad/enya/altan?
    possibilities are endless...

• Advertisement
Advertisement