Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating/replacing the roof of a lean-to conservatory

Options
  • 03-10-2006 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has a south facing lean-to conservatory with double glazed glass panels sitting on top of 100*50mm Alu box section at 570mm centres, 3.7m span and 8m wide.

Gas heating now 34% dearer so she asked me about "insulating" the roof.

Would welcome any thoughts on what the "sandwich" would look like. She has a left over DG glass panel so I can estimate the weight later.

I dont think it will take a conventional concrete tile/slate roof.

She has nice blinds on the inside which we woild like to keep

One idea is take off the glass and go up from there.

But with what?

Will perhaps consider Solar PV rather than HW due to weight considerations as part of any solution.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

'seen a couple of jobs in the past where concrete poured and steel uprights were installed outside, RSJs/Lintels were installed to support the weight of new slate roof.
    I wonder how practical are conservatories anymore, especially in the winter. I think a well insulated roof is more practical.
    Check out Grantengineering.ie etc..and their Solar kits available. Might be an option with the SEI funding available.

Advertisement