Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gtr2 demo

• 03-10-2006 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

Downloaded GTR2 demo and played it with a mouse as the controller. Wasn't able to knock off any laps with the mouse but can tell that it's an excellent game. Haven't played a racing game since gpl about 3 or 4 years ago but if I get some free time, and a steering wheel, then maybe I'll see some people online in it a later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If you are into racing I couldn't recommend GTR2 highly enough. I picked up the full game on ebay a couple weeks ago.It is streets ahead of the original, and feels much better than any sim I have drive to date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah ive ben playing the full game it the last week or so and it really is exceptional.
    Vastly improved over GTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

How would ye rate it in comparison to say GTL or rfactor? I'm dithering as to whether I should buy it or not - the demo of the original GTR put me off the game altogether.

For GT racing its better than both m8.
    GTL uses the old version of Gmotor engine as does rFactor.
    GTR2 uses the spanking new Gmotor2 engine complete with dynamic wet weather.
    It is simply superb and coming from a self confessed rfactor fanboy GTR2 is just so immensely good its hard to reccomend anything over it.
    It is light years ahead of GTR1.

The beauty of rfactor however is the huge variety or racing via its mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thanks! You've persauded me :)
    EDIT: Picked it up in XtraVision for 30 euro - 5 euro less than gamestop. I can't remember the last time I paid this for a new game! Plays extremely well btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Just bought it im Xtra Game. Could not believe Game are trying to get 54.99 for this while Xtra vision are selling it for 30. Bloody criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EasyFold

I've also only played rFactor in the past but not GTR. Like mentioned earlier in this thread the game mods makes it very nice to play.

I'll surely pickup a copy of GTR2 and give it a try.

Ps) Can anyone recommend a propper steering wheel?

The Logitech G25 if you can afford it,if not pretty much any Logitech wheel is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EasyFold

TBH at this stage anything will be better that the wired 360 controller :) I'm curently using with rFactor. When I downloaded the GTR2 demo and also used it but as you know keyboards and most joypads just doesn't work propperly with a driving simulation game.

Thanks for the info , I'll scout the net to find the best deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Been playing the GTR2 demo for a week or so and just got the full version yesterday.
    It is pretty good alright !

Is there a norsdschleife track for it yet ?
    I read some stuff on rsc about the putting the gtl version into the gtr2 demo, but would prefer to have it in the full version.

Is there an add-on manager, like there was for gtr ?
    Not sure of the name.. think it was simply gtr-manager ? I thought it was excellent at the time.

Anyone here on the gtr2rank thingy ?

Any good servers up for gtr2 ?
    I was on one last night, but all aids were enabled, and it was a bit unrealistic.
    Must say it was fun at spa in the dark. You really have to remember the track well, as you miss the turn-in points you get used to seeing in daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Not sure what floats your respective boats but why so little comment about LFS? Ive played them all and LFS > most. GTR2 is nice if you like that type of car / track - however LFS is still more of a sim than anything else I have seen.
    RFactor is hardcore dissapointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There's little comment on this board in general, its not espcially against LFS. Quite a few of us play it, I play LFS fairly often.

Have you tried any of the mods for rfactor? If anything has been a dissapointment its been netkar.

No, only tried RFactor demo at the time i think. Really hated while I would give others a good go before giving up.

Just find LFS is so good - Ive done some track racing before - not lots but some - and its really close excluding some nice to haves such as brake fade, etc which no sims do just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Yea, ive a bit of real-world experience myself and I find I gravitate to LFS. It "feels" right. Some of the mods for R-Factor feel just as good though, but with LFS ive found it easier to join an online race whenever suits me.

Im pretty sure some sims have brake fade. Certainly in GTR you had to heat the brakes up anyway. Netkar may have brake fade, possibly NR2003.

R-Factor is all about the mods though, checkout here
    for a list of mods from karting to stock cars to F1.

Ficus wrote:
    i would have to say that i too have some racing experience and would definitly say that gtr2 is the most life like of the lot. i never really liked lfs that must but can appreciate its a good game and all, and rfactor is great but i think that gtr2 just offers the driver more in the way of a race feeling vehicle.

I am trying rFactor with the mods - struggling with some of them to get going.

Try LFS - free Demo and fairly cheap to unlock the game.

Advertisement