Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people moving to the US

Options
  • 03-10-2006 4:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

What's the deal with us Irish moving to the US. Someone told me that it's slightly easier for Irish people to aquire a visa because of Irish-American history.. or is that a heap of bum waste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Load of rubbish imo, everyone is treated the same when getting a visa. You get in line like everyone else and wait (a long time :() your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

it's easier to come here than for me to go there. other than that, there's no favortism although i wish there was. 1 billion indians for the lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

The only way you can move to the states is

Marry an american - Easiest option!!!!It just happened that my future wife was american when i met her years ago in dublin in a bar.

Lottery visa program

Get sponsored to work here - Very hard unless you have a skill americans dont have.

If you have family that are US citizens then you can go down this route but its a hell of a long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

galwaydude wrote:
    Marry an american - Easiest option!!!!

How many years ago did I (and probably many other posters on this board) tell you that???????

Congrats on the Green Card - and the job - and the wife.

More on-topic, years back it was easier for Irish people to get lottery visas, but they have since started spreading it out more equally. The only criteria now is that countries sending a certain amount of immigrants through other visa programs get excluded from the lottery.

Also it used to be that a US senator could basically give someone a Green Card (and possibly Citizenship) at their personal discretion. I would guess that any Senator would be more hospitable to immigrants from their own ethnic group, so the Irish American domination of the political scene would have helped the cause of the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

thanks gandhi.

Going through this process was certainly not easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement