Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway

Options
  • 03-10-2006 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've got a network with 4 PCs and 2 printers.
    IPs are 192.168.1.1 - 4 for the PCs and 192.168.1.11 - 12 for the printers.
    No gateway. Subnet is 255.255.255.0.

I've just got Eircom broadband and I've it up and running but find I have had to add the 192.168.1.254 gateway to all PCs to keep my network communicating. I also have to do this with the printers.

Is there any way to avoid doing this and still have access to the internet from all PCs?
    Does it really matter? (Security etc.)

Thanks for any help.
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I have had to add the 192.168.1.254 gateway to all PCs to keep my network communicating
    I don't know what you mean by this. You don't have to have a gateway IP set to communicate between devices on your own network.

192.168.1.254 is the IP Address of your router. Communications with IP Address outside of your internal network will be sent to your router for onward transmission. That's why it's called a "Gateway" - it's a gateway to other networks (ie. the Internet).
    Is there any way to avoid doing this and still have access to the internet from all PCs?
    The simple answer is "No". A more complete answer involves asking questions about what you want to do and why you want to do it. But if you want to communicate with networks outside of your own, you need a gateway IP Address.
    Does it really matter?
    Yes.
    (Security etc.)
    Security is a separate issue.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Consol

Thanks Liam,
    Yeah, I've confused myself here...
    I think the eircom broadband install cd messed up my addresses - it reset everything to dhcp and cleared my printer ip.
    I now can't get my printer setup anymore.
    System is also refusing to reload an earlier restore point.
    I've also got one pc running perfectly with internet access.
    Another will see everything on the network, will ping eircoms dns but will not open a web page.
    At wits end here... so much for plug and play....
    Thanks anyway,
    Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Consol

OK, 2nd pc working now... missing digit in dns address.
    Printer still invisible.
    Don't care anymore... going to the pub and staying there for a week!
    Tim

Advertisement