Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA Cup Draw

Options
  • 03-10-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Leverkusen
    Brugges
    Besiktas
    Dinamo Bucharest
    Spurs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

happy with that

hopefully we will be home to leverkusen and besiktas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Thursday 19 October - Besiktas (Turkey) (A)
    Thursday 2 November - Club Brugge (Belgium) (H)
    Thursday 23 November - Bayer 04 Leverkusen (Germany) (A)
    Thursday 14 December - Dinamo Bucuresti (Romania) (H)

There were eight groups of five clubs drawn and the top three will progress to the round of 32 after the teams have played each other once. The successful teams will be joined in the knock out stages by the eight third place teams from the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

could have been easier, but now we have the teams, lets make sure we qualify :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

yiddo wrote:
    Spurs-Leverkusen 18/19 oct
    Club Brugge - Spurs 1/2 nov
    Spurs - Besiktas 22/23 nov
    Dinamo Bucharest - Spurs 29/30 nov
    Not playing on 5th matchday. But that may change if we clash with some other games.

Sure its not the other way around yiddo as in we have besiktas and Bayer away and brugge and dinamo at home. Thats the way I thought it was which is worst case scenario. Anyway very tough group with plenty of european experience between them, we should at least get third though. Berbo at his old club should be interesting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

So you spotted my delibrate mistake?;) :D I've amended my original post!

• Advertisement

Damn, I really was hoping that wasnt a mistake.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've had a look at last years groups available here

Of the 8 3rd placed sides, only two finished with 7+ points.

One finished tied on 9pts with the top two in the group, but 4th place had only 3pts (group G)

One finished with 7pts, ahead of the 4th placed team on 4pts (group B)

By my reckoning, two home wins and a draw should suffice to qualify for the last 32 of the tournament. Even two home wins with a positive goal differencemight be enough.

Also, due to the fixtures being on Thursdays, a number of our other games will need changing. No confirmation yet from the club, but we're probably looking at:

West Ham (H) move from Sat 21 October to Sun 22 October
    Wigan (H) move from Sat 25 November to Sun 26 November
    Man City (A) move from Sat 16 December to Sun 17 December

The last one is a TV game, so Sky may try to insist it's played on Saturday.

Id rather finish third than second and not face a champs league drop out but we have to be aiming to win the group and make life easy for ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 chalky76

They will be fearing us......Anderlecht are Belguims top side & they reguarly get whipped in Europe by Champs Lge side,we were 1 dodgy lasagne away from being just that,a champions lge team.......2nd rate Turks/Belgiums & Romanians dont bother me.....Last time i looked at the Bundersliga table Leverkusson were nearly bottom so there hardly sh*t hot,Hertha Berlin,top of the Bundersliga were knocked out of the UEFA Cup 2 weeks ago by some noname side which suggests the German Lge isnt the best......The fact that we havent been seeded is scandolous,as is the 8 teams joining from the Champs Lge,they have had their pie,why give them any more?Answer is G14 who govern the game,its nothing more than a security egg nest incase you have a bad Champions Lge Qualifying time,thus ensuring regular income....If Manchester United hadnt finished BOTTOM of their group last year they too would of benefited from this G14 skullduggery......

chalky76 wrote:
    The fact that we havent been seeded is scandolous,as is the 8 teams joining from the Champs Lge,they have had their pie,why give them any more?Answer is G14 who govern the game,its nothing more than a security egg nest incase you have a bad Champions Lge Qualifying time,thus ensuring regular income.....

Plenty of conspiracy theories chalky, but this one is way off the mark.

We are not seeded because we were too s*it the last 7 years to qualify for Europe. Uefa's seeding system is based on your last 5 years participation in European competition, since we were competing we don't points towards our coefficient,therfore we don't get seeded. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Advertisement

chalky76 wrote:
    Last time i looked at the Bundersliga table Leverkusson were nearly bottom so there hardly sh*t hot,

no offence like, but have you seen where spurs are in the league?

last time i looked, leverkusan had 8 points from 6 games. and i would imagine that at least 3 of those teams are capable of beating us on their good day, our off day.

but i do think we should go though on paper.

Surely finishing 5th in the Premiership should be good enough basis for seeding,never mind being twice former winners of the trophy......When the runaway winners of the Premiership cant get seeding in the Champions Lge what chance have we got........And Leverkuson"s 1.3 pts a game is hardly pulling up trees is it!!There was no Anfield or Old Trafford fixtures for them either......they currently lie joint 12th thanks to a defence that has conceded 8 goals in their past 5 lge matches......Hardly worldbeaters!!And i stand by my comments on G14......They are crooks intested in lining their own pockets at the expense of others...Have Juventus been thrown out of G14?Have Milano?My point exactly................

chalky76 wrote:
    Surely finishing 5th in the Premiership should be good enough basis for seeding,never mind being twice former winners of the trophy

No, finishing 5th in the PL is not good enough basis for being seeded. You see, there are plenty of other sides in the competition who are regular competitors in Europe, while we were mid-table at best under Pleat/Hoddle/Graham/Gross/Francis etc. Our history in the tournament means nothing, nor should it. If Forest were to rise to the top of the English game again (unlikely, I know) would you say they should be seeded because they've won two European Cups under Clough? Frankly, that is a nonsense suggestion.
    chalky76 wrote:
    .....When the runaway winners of the Premiership cant get seeding in the Champions Lge what chance have we got........

That depends. Are we going to be permanent fixtures in European competition for the next few years? Chelsea will be a top seed in the CL next year or the year after, as their continuing participation yields them a higher coefficient every year. That is how things should be.
    chalky76 wrote:
    And Leverkuson"s 1.3 pts a game is hardly pulling up trees is it!!There was no Anfield or Old Trafford fixtures for them either......they currently lie joint 12th thanks to a defence that has conceded 8 goals in their past 5 lge matches......Hardly worldbeaters!!

Have they lost at home (like we have)? They've beaten 5th placed Schalke and 6th placed Aachen at home, and lost to 3rd placed Bremen and 9th placed Frankfurt away from home. Their two draws were at home to 15th placed Wolfsburg and 17th placed Hannover. They currently lie 8th in the Bundesliega, not 12th, and have scored 10 goals in return for the 8 conceeded (we've scored 4, conceeding 9). Thats a better record than ours on every single count.

While we're on the subject of history, I might add they've reached the CL final in 2002, and won a Uefa Cup in 1988, far better returns than we've achieved in the same period, wouldn't you agree?

League form should have no bearing on UEFA seeding, but if it did I'm sure you'd agree that Dinamo Bucharest with 10 wins in 10 in the Romanian league would be top seeds...

Wont be posting anymore as i dont like my every line being scruitinised & picked off......Obviously i"m not up to your standard of knowledge,hence why you rubbish my opinion......You should change your screen name to Ayotollah...Other peoples opinions dont matter....P.s Leverkuson are 8th/joint12th......some people have far too much time on their hands:rolleyes:

Anyone with the courage to back up their opinions is welcome here, differences of opinion make good discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Don't know too much about our euro chances, but there's something I want to get off my chest:

Seedings have ruined the magic. This goes for international qualifier groups too. An open draw would be great. Why should there be seedings at all. Why should anyone care if 1 Group contained England, Italy, France & Germany ??
    What amazing games there would throw up. Why wait for the finals to see the big clashes, recent finals comps have been very very dour from what I've seen.

The powers that be seem to want to protect the strongest clubs & nations to the detrement of the qualifiers. Thus ensuring that the biggest countries qualify for every finals comp.

So all the big boys qualify for the finals, but the games are all ****, bar a couple of exceptions. The last great finals comp was 1986 IMO.

I suppose I'm just generally pissed off with the way the powers that be run the game as a business rether than a sport. Finding it harder and harder to relate to it.

Having said all of that, see you in Glasgow in May

But when your spoken to like a school teacher does to a 10yr old young fella its not good at all.......if you want to dictate to people then get a job in the press,anyone can sit for hours behind a screen & arm themselves with stats......Your negativity towards THFC Euro campaign is startling,are you in the Martin out brigade?If you think Leverkuson are a top draw outfit then thats up to you......As i have allready stated the Bunderliga leaders Hertha Berlin were dumped out of Europe a fortnight ago by some 2bob outfit(im sure your know who!) which suggests the German league at this moment in time to be poor so i dont adhear to your argument,just as i dont your assumption that the likes of Dinamo Bucharest(2 team lge with the military run Steaue) & Beskitas(allways playing catch up to galatasary/fernabache in a poor/corrupt lge) are on a par with 2006THFC,let alone rightly above us in seedings...........Your failure to understand that G14 have implemented the 8 team drop out for personal gain doesnt do you any favours if you want taking seriously as a football pundit,they have been lining their pockets/looking after their own clubs intrests since they dreamed up the money spinning group stages.....As i have also previously stated Juventus & Ac Milan are founder members of this legalised mafia & still continue to dictate operations with such integral members as David Dein the Gooner chairman who gave Ericssonn £120000 a week on a contract until 2010 just to keep the genuis that is Arsene Wenger at HIS club when his fellow FA board members wanted him in charge of England on considerably less money............Just like the gap between rich in Blackrock & the poor in Ballymun gets wider apart G14 have been doing this to football for close on a decade,does anyone really think that Chelsea getting drawn against Barca is coincedence??The powers that be DONT WANT CHELSEA IN THEIR COMPANY as they would replace one of them,leaving a club like Arsenal for instance feeding on the scraps like our once great club finds itself doing.if you think the likes of Dein are going to allow that to happen you are seriously mistaken....Finally i will say that if you stop using such a dictorial tone when you answer posts then i for one will feel much better & im sure others feel this way too,we are all Yids afterall!!No offence fella,lets maybe start again.....Cheers Chalky........

Couple of things Chalky...

If you don't like the tone of my posts you've a couple of options. One is to avoid the board altogether, and while I'd respect your choice I'd prefer you didn't do that. This forum is not mine, its ours.

Another is to put me on your ignore list, which will filter out any of my posts so you don't have to read them at all. Again, I'll respect your choice if thats the one you make.

I won't be changing the way I express myself on here.

Now there's a lot in your last post I could reply to, but I can't be ar*ed right now so I'll limit it to this:
    chalky76 wrote:
    Your negativity towards THFC Euro campaign is startling,are you in the Martin out brigade?

Seriously, have you read anything else I've posted on the forum? Pleaee don't question my support for Spurs, when I see you in Bolton of a freezing cold Monday night for another defeat courtesy of a dodgy linesman, or booking flights to Leverkusen (along with Dublin Spur) despite us having no chance of getting a ticket, then you'll have the right to question my loyalty. Until then...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Group could be easier as said but I still don't think we should accept any loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

a couple of scary fixtures there. (B. Leverkusen & Besiktas away) but surely we'll qualify......:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

chalky76 wrote:
    But when your spoken to like a school teacher does to a 10yr old young fella its not good at all.......if you want to dictate to people then get a job in the press,anyone can sit for hours behind a screen & arm themselves with stats......Your negativity towards THFC Euro campaign is startling,are you in the Martin out brigade?If you think Leverkuson are a top draw outfit then thats up to you......As i have allready stated the Bunderliga leaders Hertha Berlin were dumped out of Europe a fortnight ago by some 2bob outfit(im sure your know who!) which suggests the German league at this moment in time to be poor so i dont adhear to your argument,just as i dont your assumption that the likes of Dinamo Bucharest(2 team lge with the military run Steaue) & Beskitas(allways playing catch up to galatasary/fernabache in a poor/corrupt lge) are on a par with 2006THFC,let alone rightly above us in seedings...........Your failure to understand that G14 have implemented the 8 team drop out for personal gain doesnt do you any favours if you want taking seriously as a football pundit,they have been lining their pockets/looking after their own clubs intrests since they dreamed up the money spinning group stages.....As i have also previously stated Juventus & Ac Milan are founder members of this legalised mafia & still continue to dictate operations with such integral members as David Dein the Gooner chairman who gave Ericssonn £120000 a week on a contract until 2010 just to keep the genuis that is Arsene Wenger at HIS club when his fellow FA board members wanted him in charge of England on considerably less money............Just like the gap between rich in Blackrock & the poor in Ballymun gets wider apart G14 have been doing this to football for close on a decade,does anyone really think that Chelsea getting drawn against Barca is coincedence??The powers that be DONT WANT CHELSEA IN THEIR COMPANY as they would replace one of them,leaving a club like Arsenal for instance feeding on the scraps like our once great club finds itself doing.if you think the likes of Dein are going to allow that to happen you are seriously mistaken....Finally i will say that if you stop using such a dictorial tone when you answer posts then i for one will feel much better & im sure others feel this way too,we are all Yids afterall!!No offence fella,lets maybe start again.....Cheers Chalky........

do me a favour, use the entre key will you.
    it will make what you have to say a lot easier to read.

No, finishing 5th in the PL is not good enough basis for being seeded. You see, there are plenty of other sides in the competition who are regular competitors in Europe, while we were mid-table at best under Pleat/Hoddle/Graham/Gross/Francis etc. Our history in the tournament means nothing, nor should it. If Forest were to rise to the top of the English game again (unlikely, I know) would you say they should be seeded because they've won two European Cups under Clough? Frankly, that is a nonsense suggestion.

That depends. Are we going to be permanent fixtures in European competition for the next few years? Chelsea will be a top seed in the CL next year or the year after, as their continuing participation yields them a higher coefficient every year. That is how things should be.

Have they lost at home (like we have)? They've beaten 5th placed Schalke and 6th placed Aachen at home, and lost to 3rd placed Bremen and 9th placed Frankfurt away from home. Their two draws were at home to 15th placed Wolfsburg and 17th placed Hannover. They currently lie 8th in the Bundesliega, not 12th, and have scored 10 goals in return for the 8 conceeded (we've scored 4, conceeding 9). Thats a better record than ours on every single count.

While we're on the subject of history, I might add they've reached the CL final in 2002, and won a Uefa Cup in 1988, far better returns than we've achieved in the same period, wouldn't you agree?

League form should have no bearing on UEFA seeding, but if it did I'm sure you'd agree that Dinamo Bucharest with 10 wins in 10 in the Romanian league would be top seeds...
    They were brutal,just as i said they would be,just like Brugge & Beskitas were & just like Dinamo Bucharest will be on the 14th December at WHL.Other than Seville there is nobody to worry about in this Competition & actually hope Barcalona & Arsenil enter via the 8 Champion Lge drop out places to spice everything up a bit.The seedings were in hindsight a joke & comparing 2nd or 3rd place in the Turkish/Romanian lge etc to a side that finishes 5th in the English Premiership(should of been 4th) an even bigger joke.:D

chalky76 wrote:
    The seedings were in hindsight a joke & comparing 2nd or 3rd place in the Turkish/Romanian lge etc to a side that finishes 5th in the English Premiership(should of been 4th) an even bigger joke.:D

Fella, fair play for calling it how you did, but would you have been back to acknowledge me if you'd been wrong? Something tells me you wouldn't, you ain't been too interested in commenting when we've been losing to Reading and drawing with Watford.

You'll be happy to know our coefficient is shooting up with our 100% record so far this campaign, but I fairly certain that will be of little comfort to us in May if our league form hasn't improved and we don't qualify for Europe again (cups aside)

happy with our progress so far in the UEFA Cup. and 2 good wins away from home.

hopefully our league form will continue to improve too...

I didnt bother coming back because i was being ridiculed when clearly i knew what i was on about & was astounded by your negativity towards the team"s potential.People started panicking because we didnt get off to a flyer but i have been going reguarly to WHL(just like you) since 1984 & have seen some woeful sides mascarading as THFC players but can clearly see that this side that is being developed is better than anything Spurs have seen in those 22 years.The absence of King at the start was a huge blow,as was Lennon needing an op & admittedly we were all slightly concerned about Berbatov being another Rebrov/Postiga but he along with Keanealdo & Defoe have woken up at last.The The likes of Ekotto,Zakora & Chimbonda understandably needed a few games to find their feet in a new enviroment & the Hansen/Lawro type comments like Zakora needs a year to settle have been rammed back down their throats.We have WORLD CLASS players for the first time in donkeys years,please dont be under any illusion that we dont.Lennon,Berbatov,King,Robbo,Chimbonda,Zakora & Keane are top drawer operators at the top of their profession........Meanwhile Dawson,Huddlestone,Ekotto have great potential & like everyone else is young,still learning & only going to get better which really excites me.The days of pulling our hair out at dross that wasnt good enough to play for such a fine footballing institution are long gone(well nearly,theres still 1 or 2 ropey goods Lee etc),no more do we have to witness rubbishy players like Austin/Vega/Sinton etc drag our club into the gutter with the West Ham"s of this world.......I believe 100% that within 12 months we will be serious Title contenders to Manchester United & Chelsea......The demise of Liverpool & Arsenil is happening before our very eyes,both are great clubs but neither have great sides & in truth are both 1 man outfits.ITS OUR TIME NOW!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

chalky76 wrote:
    I didnt bother coming back because i was being ridiculed when clearly i knew what i was on about & was astounded by your negativity towards the team"s potential.People started panicking because we didnt get off to a flyer but i have been going reguarly to WHL(just like you) since 1984 & have seen some woeful sides mascarading as THFC players but can clearly see that this side that is being developed is better than anything Spurs have seen in those 22 years.The absence of King at the start was a huge blow,as was Lennon needing an op & admittedly we were all slightly concerned about Berbatov being another Rebrov/Postiga but he along with Keanealdo & Defoe have woken up at last.The The likes of Ekotto,Zakora & Chimbonda understandably needed a few games to find their feet in a new enviroment & the Hansen/Lawro type comments like Zakora needs a year to settle have been rammed back down their throats.We have WORLD CLASS players for the first time in donkeys years,please dont be under any illusion that we dont.Lennon,Berbatov,King,Robbo,Chimbonda,Zakora & Keane are top drawer operators at the top of their profession........Meanwhile Dawson,Huddlestone,Ekotto have great potential & like everyone else is young,still learning & only going to get better which really excites me.The days of pulling our hair out at dross that wasnt good enough to play for such a fine footballing institution are long gone(well nearly,theres still 1 or 2 ropey goods Lee etc),no more do we have to witness rubbishy players like Austin/Vega/Sinton etc drag our club into the gutter with the West Ham"s of this world.......I believe 100% that within 12 months we will be serious Title contenders to Manchester United & Chelsea......The demise of Liverpool & Arsenil is happening before our very eyes,both are great clubs but neither have great sides & in truth are both 1 man outfits.ITS OUR TIME NOW!!;)
    do me a favour, use the entre key will you.
    it will make what you have to say a lot easier to read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

chalky76 wrote:

That's the spirit,

don't know about challenging for the title next year, but we're definately going in the right direction.

kinaldo wrote:
    you're siggy is a bit sad. celebrating a 7-1 over Spurs that happened at least 10 years ago...dman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

el diablo wrote:
    you're siggy is a bit sad. celebrating a 7-1 over Spurs that happened at least 10 years ago...dman.gif
    You thought the Man Utd 5-0 one was hilarious too. It's not quite 10 years yet so I think you still need to be reminded - it stays.

• Advertisement

Fellas, back on topic please.

Advertisement