Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First frost

Options
  • 03-10-2006 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Met eireann forcasting slight frost tonight and tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There was a grass frost on 16th September, with -2C recorded at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Daily data for Dublin Airport on met.ie has the Min Temp as 3.5C. :confused:

Hill Billy wrote:
    Daily data for Dublin Airport on met.ie has the Min Temp as 3.5C. :confused:

That min is the AIR min, which is recorded in a screen 1.2m (4ft) above ground.

The min I mentioned is the GRASS min, which was exactly -1.9C (I rounded it to -2C and is also mentioned on the daily data page). This is the min measured by an exposed thermometer 5cm (2 inches) above ground and touching the grass tips.

When a slight frost is mentioned, it is usually refering to grass temp falling below zero. Usually in my experience ia frost isn't really visible unless grass temp falls below -3C which is probable is some sheltered spots or frost hollows tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

11C Limerick and falling

8C on the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1am: 6.1c, Clear as a whistle and cold!

• Advertisement

Air min 2.4C
    Grass Min -1.1C

Advertisement