Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone line - Broadband enabled?

Options
  • 03-10-2006 12:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today I ordered a phone line and the lady on the phone gave me my new number and said an eircom engineer would be out towards the end of the month to install the line. I queried whether broadband would be available to me. She told me that 2 neighbours had just gotten lines installed and she ran a test. Apparently one failed and the other said "unable to determine if line is suitable".

With the latter she said she is actually able to place a broadband order under the premise that the line would pass.

I put my number into the line checker and it said "unable to determine if line is suitable". I know there was a new exchange installed in my village, albeit a sub-exchange hanging off the TARA exchange. I asked the lady what exchange I was on. She said "The Tara E10 exchange". Is this some kind of extension exchange?

When eircom were putting in the exchange they put it on the green of a council estate and erected an ugly perimeter around it. Locals kicked up a stink and would only allow it on the basis that the exchange provide broadband. They were told it would.

This brings me to the next point ... aren't sub-exchanges not broadband enabled by default (Sponge?).

My hopes are so nearly being brought up only to be inevitably dashed against the wall that has a big eircom logo on it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In order for eircom to get this site for the subexchange free or cheap and to get planning permission for their eyesore they had to undertake to provide BB from it in order to get this planning permission/site or both

Big thumbs up to the intelligent denizens of Tara who would otherwise have waited years for BB Many eircom sub exchanges are along the roadside in a cabinet and of course they are not enabled by default Slaanesh . Nor do eircom apply for planning permission and even though the councils own this roadside land that is grabbed they do not lean on eircom to provide BB in return for the site ...unlike in Meath .

None of this means that your line is adequate and that you will qualify for Broadband though :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Thanks for the inputer Sponge Bob, I will let you know how it all pans out. If the exchange can not provide broadband I know a lot of people who will be very peeved.

if you find that eircom are in breach of an obligation fo some sort to Meath County Council then you should ensure that the County Manager in Navan personally gets to know about it.

see http://planning.meath.ie/ applicant search for eircom or search for telecom or telecom . I do not see a planning application so I reckon its tied into the purchase of the land.

I suspect the provision of DSL from that exchange is somehow a condition of a contract between Meath County Council and Eircom and not a planning condition .

I reckon it was something that was just said to shut up angry residents. A few of the people in the estate have asked me to keep them posted. If the exchange can't provide, they will be the first to know. A few work in the council too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 danmobile

try other broadband provider.. they have cheaper rates.. :-)

• Advertisement

danmobile wrote:
    try other broadband provider.. they have cheaper rates.. :-)

I don't classify satellite as broadband ;)

UPDATE:

Line appears to pass the BT Line checker.
    Does this mean it's available or needs to go through another test?

thats all you need, order it before the rains set in for the winter .

Well isn't that very interesting. Would the fact I don't even have a phone line, let alone phone socket make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Im going through the same at the moment , I ordered a new phone line and got an order number and a phone number but phone is due to be connected next week. I told the girl in Eircom to put on the order that I want broadband so as not to put me on a shared line. Called again and got someone else who also said she would email the engineers and tell them its for broadband.

I did a line check just to see with BT last week and it said not available in your area. I did the line test with Eircom and it says unable to determine . Yesterday I did them again and BT came up with ''Yes Broadband is available in your area'' so whats changed??? How can they tell as its not connected yet??? Sponge???? Also how can I order it from BT when there is no line yet connected??? Eircom still says ''unable to determine line''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The extension exchange or whatever is calls a Virtual POP (Point of Presence) lots of places are on these and they usually just a forward for a main Exchange, they can provide broadband.

Ballincollig has a VPOP connected to Quaker Road I believe and everyone in ballincollig can get broadband (except for smart or magnet)

Can anyone shed some light on my questions????

I was thinking that too. How can they pass you if they haven't even hooked up your line yet. I'm in the same boat.

The only thing I can think of is that when the number is given out they know its going to be a normal line and not a carrier and that the exchange is broadband enabled so maybe they have kept various telephone numbers to be allocated that are BB enabled. Time will tell im scheduled now for 12th october for connection.

Eircom biddy told me it would be end of the month till my line is connected. Will I get an eircom account number in the post before then?
    The only thing I can think of is that when the number is given out they know its going to be a normal line and not a carrier and that the exchange is broadband enabled so maybe they have kept various telephone numbers to be allocated that are BB enabled.

The reason I thought the line needed to be installed was because the DSL test is based over distance. Over a certain distance from the exchange you cannot avail of DSL. The new sub-exchance near me is about 500m down the road. Still don't understand it :)

I already got my account number with my line agreement, did you get one of those yet??? You cant actually do anything online with the account number yet as the account number is not activated until you get the line connected.

Advertisement