Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about reversing around corners

Options
  • 03-10-2006 12:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is meant to be here but got a quick questions.

Got the test tomorrow.

When reversing around a corner and a car is coming from behind what do you do?

Hasnt happened in any pretest I've done but happened today will out driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Stop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anan1 wrote:
    Stop?

I thought you had to keep constant progress during the manover

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kearnsr wrote:
    I thought you had to keep constant progress during the manover
    Although not, one would assume, to the point of hitting another car?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anan1 wrote:
    Although not, one would assume, to the point of hitting another car?

But who is meant to stop. Me or him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Kearnsr, you stop. Assess the situation, the examiner will give you no help/prompt. If you are literally on the corner when the other car approaches, you are in a position that would make his overtaking you a possible danger. Therefore you, having checked it is safe to do so and having indicated your intention, move forward to the point where you began the manoeuvre. It is possible that the examiner is satisfied at this point. If so, he/she will ask you to proceed ie drive on. If they give you no instruction, then you repeat the manouevre from the beginning, reversing until you are asked to stop.
    If you have reversed sufficiently around the corner, but have not been asked at this point to stop, and a car approaches from behind, again first thing to do is stop. DO NOT beckon on the other car, let them move past you, then when safe, complete the manoeuvre

Good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kearnsr wrote:
    Not sure if this is meant to be here but got a quick questions.

Got the test tomorrow.

When reversing around a corner and a car is coming from behind what do you do?

Hasnt happened in any pretest I've done but happened today will out driving?

100% certain on this one!, if you think there is a 1% chance of someone or something hitting you as a result of this daft manouver..you stop..and wait for the danger to pass. My instructor told me (he might have been telling me porkies) that one of his best ever pupils failed their driving test with a single grade 3 (instant fail) on their sheet because they didn't stop for a potential hazard to pass during the reverse around a corner.

If in doubt at all STOP. Make it obvious why you stopped (stare at the hazard until it passes), do left shoulder check, right shoulder check, left again and then resume reversing.

Good luck on the test btw :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A reversing driver never has right of way. You must give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A reversing driver never has right of way. You must give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians.

Exactly. So they only option is indeed to stop

I don't recall being instructed to use indicators or hazards. What do people here do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Longfield wrote:
    100% certain on this one!, if you think there is a 1% chance of someone or something hitting you as a result of this daft manouver..you stop..and wait for the danger to pass. .......

Good luck on the test btw :)

I think this manouver is not only daft but in todays driving world extremely dangerous. A lot easier to drive round the block or do a U turn somewhere quiet.
    btw, which side of the street would you be on during this manouver. The same side you normally drive in, or the opposite, just facing backwards?.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

AMurphy wrote:
    I think this manouver is not only daft but in todays driving world extremely dangerous. A lot easier to drive round the block or do a U turn somewhere quiet.
    btw, which side of the street would you be on during this manouver. The same side you normally drive in, or the opposite, just facing backwards?.

Maybe they examine this manouver because it throws up such situations. Don't get me wrong the test is fundamentally wrong but perhaps not this part?!? It's not about getting turned, it's about a number of other factors.

Good luck OP.

• Advertisement

Sparks400 wrote:
    Maybe they examine this manouver because it throws up such situations. Don't get me wrong the test is fundamentally wrong but perhaps not this part?!? It's not about getting turned, it's about a number of other factors.

Good luck OP.

I think the aspects of the manover are important.

Anyways just back and I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can never get from place to place without reversing round corners, it's a very important part of having a full licence ;) An Irish driver's education, best education in the world I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote:
    I can never get from place to place without reversing round corners, it's a very important part of having a full licence ;) An Irish driver's education, best education in the world I say.
    While not being something I'd do every day, there are occasions when it's a useful manoeuvre. Sometimes there isn't a 'block' to go around if you make a wrong turn.

Anyway, I'd agree with the other posters that it's really designed more as an excercise to show your reversing (and observation) skills than a manoeuvre that you'll likely to be doing every day in your driving career, although maybe what they do in the UK now, i.e. reversing into a parking place might be of more practical use, and serve as just a good indication of your reversing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Well done kearnsr :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Alun wrote:
    Anyway, I'd agree with the other posters that it's really designed more as an excercise to show your reversing (and observation) skills than a manoeuvre that you'll likely to be doing every day in your driving career, although maybe what they do in the UK now, i.e. reversing into a parking place might be of more practical use, and serve as just a good indication of your reversing skills.

Yeah I was thinking it would be a good sanity test of reverse parking skills without having scratched cars on test routes everywhere :)

Advertisement