Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB alternatives for smart customers?

Options
  • 03-10-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Considering that it seems likely Smart Telecom will go into liquidation later today (based on news reports) what are the alternatives out there?

My assumption would be that any existing customers want to maintain BB over their existing copper and not switch to wireless or similar.

So the alternatives that spring to mind are :

Esat-BT
    Magnet Networks
    Digiweb
    UTV
    (The Eirscum monopoly will not be considered)

Except for Magnet all of the available packages are Eirscum bitstream resold packages which to my knowledge are not DSL2 based in most cases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well I just called NTL and went back to them for BB. They're offering 6mb for €39.99 and the first 3 months are free. :D

Should be installed next week some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BT have SOME LLUed lines. Raheen in Limerick had ADSL from Esat practically same day as Eircom DSL launch in Dublin.

Digiweb, IBB, Clearwire, Caseyvision, UPC (Chorus/NTL) etc have non-ADSL solutions. Some of these are comparable to DSL. Some arn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

hows IBB looking these days? as they are one of the only companies able to provide it to me now!!

or is anyone else using adsl2+ in letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

IBB seems to be pretty well behaved of late.

Can we get this thread stickied?

I don't fancy going through 40k+ of smart threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

I would say hold out for a wee while and see how things work out. SmartTelecom have already decided to sell off their voice and pay phone business and hold on to the LLU/broadband part before any of what happened today happened. Their shareholders are probably prepared to continue to back them financially and go with this re-structuring process.

SmartTelecom and Eircom are expected to release statements later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm going to wait and see what happens, Smart's broadband service is incomparable.

i totally agree. im going to hold off to see what happens. someone is going to take the adsl2+ lines they couldnt leave them to rot. hopefully its ot eircom or someone with a cap though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well we can wait but by the sound of it they are gone. Check over on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054998166&page=7

"well its completly official....
    smart have gone into liquidation...
    eircom are not goinf to transfers smarts lines as a good will gesture"

Someone over there is claiming to be talking to someone in smart they are friends with.

"i would say they're gone...

All the lads in smart have been told to pack their desks and leave...
    For some reason i don't think they would be telling them to do that if there was an alternative..."

So barring its all rubbish (which it may be) I'd say we are all (to quote Bender) "boned".

yup! i hope they hold onto the broadband though

Liquidation means gone out of business, shut down and the assets sold for whatever they can get.

Administration means run as a going concern till a buyer can be found.

So if they are liquidated then they are gone so they won't be holding onto any broadband or anything at all.

All I can say is at least its only the begining of the month so hopefully most of the staff got paid last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Chorus are up and running in some parts of Limerick and offer 6mb for 39.99 per month and first 3 months are free. Dooradoyle definitely working.

Magnet are now doing a "smart telecom customers" call us thing as well. Top right of their home page.

http://www.magnet.ie/

1890 - 535353

inode wrote:
    hows IBB looking these days? as they are one of the only companies able to provide it to me now!!

or is anyone else using adsl2+ in letterkenny

NTR is not giving them any more money and they are forsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

machalla wrote:
    Well we can wait but by the sound of it they are gone. Check over on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054998166&page=7

"well its completly official....
    smart have gone into liquidation...
    eircom are not goinf to transfers smarts lines as a good will gesture"

This may be true, it may not be. But one thing is for sure, it is NOT official. It is plain scare mungring to say otherwise.

Yep. That phrase about rotund females singing comes to mind. Oh well the afternoon is nearly over so I expect we will hear something official soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Ah well, too later to cancel my DD today anyway. Might be some news by tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

KTRIC wrote:
    Well I just called NTL and went back to them for BB. They're offering 6mb for €39.99 and the first 3 months are free. :D

Should be installed next week some time.

6mb with a 40gb limit whoop-de-fcukin-doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'd prefer to stick with smart cause its the best deal in town for me but if it does go i reckon its Digiweb or BT for me. christ knows im not going back to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'd prefer to stick with smart cause its the best deal in town for me but if it does go i reckon its Digiweb or BT for me. christ knows im not going back to eircom.

check out callcost.ie, the comreg site which lists the best preformers. very handy.

*edit*damn double post , sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Anyone apart from BT offer a 6 month contract (or none)?

We're probably only in this apartment another 6 months, most providers seem to have a friendly 12 mth contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

LoBo wrote:
    Anyone apart from BT offer a 6 month contract (or none)?

We're probably only in this apartment another 6 months, most providers seem to have a friendly 12 mth contract.
    eircom and UTV both have 6 month contracts for their broadband services.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about those of us still under a 12 month contract with Smart Broadband? I doubt Smart will allow us to jump ship anyway, if their LLU product is still running.

IF Smart close shop next week, then that is the end of the contract. Wait and see if worried about contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Sam Johnston

I just called Smart Telecom today Wednesday 3 October (we have connections in Harmonstown and Tallaght and I used one of them for the call and for this post) and got straight through to a rep who apologised and said that we would be receiving calls again within 2-3 days.

In light of all that's happened (and over what, 1.7m? ie the corporate equivalent of a cup of coffee) I'm impressed and will be standing by Smart Telecom and encouraging others to do the same. It's Eircom and ComReg along with the relevant minister(s) that should be feeling heat over this.

Remember, if you move then they win this round.

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Move back to eircom.. I haven't had _much_ trouble with them lately. :P

A few billing errors, some horrible customer service reps, and some extremely nice ones and a good BB service - well no disconnects yet anyway since i moved house last week. It kinda balances out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Drongo

I have Smart Broadband and have found it excellent so I intend to hang on until there is a full conclusion to current situation. But should the worst happen I'm considering a switch to ntl (already have their T.V. service) so I was wondering what getting their broadband entails (installation, equipment required, etc.) Anyone with ntl who could fill me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I have Smart too, and aprat form the getting it up and running problems I found it excellent.

so i'll be sticking with them until i'm told otherwise.

I have however cancelled my direct debit, and informed smart of this, (due to breach of contract) and told them they can bill me conventionally for the moment.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

It's Eircom and ComReg along with the relevant minister(s) that should be feeling heat over this.

Remember, if you move then they win this round.

Sam
    That's definitely the bottom line in this whole saga. I won't be rushed into anything until I get the full picture, Smart have offered me an excellent service for some time now and clearly have the best BB package on offer, but Eircom and ComReg are easily the real culprits here and ultimately ComReg for failing to execute their regulatory duties

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I have Smart too, and aprat form the getting it up and running problems I found it excellent.

so i'll be sticking with them until i'm told otherwise.

I have however cancelled my direct debit, and informed smart of this, (due to breach of contract) and told them they can bill me conventionally for the moment.

X

How did you go about cancellation of your DD. Via bank or via Smart telecom.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Notify your Bank.

Advertisement