Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB alternatives for smart customers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

The smart phone service was cut off without warning. Now comreg says its going to be back up, but only temporarily. They say:

" you will need: To choose and contact a new provider"

they don't say, sure just hang on a while and everything'll be alright. They say, now is the time to switch to someone else.

Can only presume that bb will be cutoff just the same. I rang magnet just now, they said smart bb will be cutoff within 2 weeks (of course that's coming from a magnet rep, but still). He also said that when the engineers go to the exchange, they will switch multiple lines at the same time (as opposed to one at a time as happens normally) so it should be done relatively quickly.

If they can cut the phone off like that, they can cut the bb off

its game over
    finito
    kaput

the other bb option is ntl, saving the €25 line rental, and then using voip instead of phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

rowan wrote:
    The smart phone service was cut off without warning. Now comreg says its going to be back up, but only temporarily. They say:

" you will need: To choose and contact a new provider"

they don't say, sure just hang on a while and everything'll be alright. They say, now is the time to switch to someone else.

Can only presume that bb will be cutoff just the same. I rang magnet just now, they said smart bb will be cutoff within 2 weeks (of course that's coming from a magnet rep, but still). He also said that when the engineers go to the exchange, they will switch multiple lines at the same time (as opposed to one at a time as happens normally) so it should be done relatively quickly.

If they can cut the phone off like that, they can cut the bb off

its game over
    finito
    kaput

the other bb option is ntl, saving the €25 line rental, and then using voip instead of phone...

FFS, it won't be cut off in two weeks... it was cut off yesterday!

It isn't "kaput" until we know what is happenign Smart, no one at Magnet or Eircom know that and as far as ComReg are concerned, they really should just go ahead and change their name to EirComReg to avoid further confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

art wrote:
    FFS, it won't be cut off in two weeks... it was cut off yesterday!

It isn't "kaput" until we know what is happenign Smart, no one at Magnet or Eircom know that and as far as ComReg are concerned, they really should just go ahead and change their name to EirComReg to avoid further confusion.

i think he was refering to the bb being cut off not the phone service;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Broadband has been cut off for some people (including me)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

braodband and phone is now gone :( tv is still working but id say that will stay for a bit longer...

anyone know a service that can provide- cable tv and brodband?

• Advertisement

eh, yeh my bb is still up and running.
    But i'll be making a phone call first thing in the morning to switch to someone else.

>It isn't "kaput" until we know what is happenign Smart

Fair enough. If you don't want to pay attention to the giant warning signs.

The sooner you switch the sooner you'll have bb up and running again.

machalla, could you point to the news reports that mentioned 'liquidation'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

Broadband has been cut off for some people (including me)

ah nuts:( its a discrace

peepsbates wrote:
    i think he was refering to the bb being cut off not the phone service;)
    well that's a nice coincidence then cause I was referring to BB too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

rowan wrote:

As a few have said here already, we don't know what's going to happen. Smart MIGHT be able to continue with the BB side of things. Some other company MIGHT buy their BB section. If either of these two things happen, then there MIGHT not be any downtime at all.

I know that there are a lot of MIGHTS in there, but transferring your BB over to bitstream will take a long time. Unless you were thinking of going wireless or cable.

• Advertisement

rowan wrote:
    eh, yeh my bb is still up and running.
    But i'll be making a phone call first thing in the morning to switch to someone else.

>It isn't "kaput" until we know what is happenign Smart

...and locked into a contract that is providing a poorer service or poor value for money. A knee jerk reaction doesn't help anyone, yourself included (at least from a consumer perspective that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

magnet are doing a 6-month contract also, or so their application form states at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well based off the reports yesterday smart were pretty much going into liquidation but as of today its anybodys guess. It sounds like Brendan Murtagh has put €10 million into the company to keep it going on top of the €2.6 million h e already paid them. So thats certainly enough to pay the €4m plus keep the company going for the next 6 months. If its happened of course..

http://enn.ie/frontpage/news-9825470.html
    "It has been confirmed to ENN that Murtagh, and other family members recently appointed to Smart's board, have agreed a last minute refinancing package which may prevent Smart from facing liquidation.

Although Smart has already suspended trading on London's AIM market, the Murtagh rescue plan will reportedly include a complete delisting from the exchange and a EUR10 million cash injection. "

He would only want the BB part of the company and who knows what will happen to it. The brand itself is in bits as far as I can see and Eircon are the major winners as no-one will trust the smaller brands now.

It is as someone put it to me "not smart, its just tragic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

We really have to knock this thread into some shape as its supposed to be about alternatives to Smart if people decide to leave.

I personally am going to wait and see what happens for the time being but I want to know the alternatives.

The only viable one for me seems to be Magnet but Magnet is apparently two different beasts. One is the old Netsource on the business side and the other is the residential package option. Only one of them is doing DSL2 which is I believe the residential side (leap in and correct me here anyone!).

Magnet have "thoughtfully" provided a map on their website of where they are available in Dublin. Seems to be based off Exchanges. They are claiming 2mb BB for €15 which I assume means you have to tie yourself into something else as well but since the link for more info on the site is dead, well I can't tell you more than that.

Can anyone confirm if Magnet Residential requires you to use thier own router and prevents you from configuring it in any way? I seem to remember someone mentioning being unable to open ports on their Magnet router and Magnet support telling them to feck off in effect.

Not sure what their caps are.

Digiweb DSL is all Eircon bitstream. Their Metro wireless product looks good but is not available everywhere and I can bet it isn't going to be available to me.

IBB are another company who will likely be dead as a doornail in the future as they are up for sale. Also having had dealings with them in the past I wouldn't touch them with someone elses 100 foot bargepole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

machalla wrote:
    Only one of them is doing DSL2 which is I believe the residential side (leap in and correct me here anyone!).

Magnet have "thoughtfully" provided a map on their website of where they are available in Dublin. Seems to be based off Exchanges. They are claiming 2mb BB for €15 which I assume means you have to tie yourself into something else as well but since the link for more info on the site is dead, well I can't tell you more than that.

Can anyone confirm if Magnet Residential requires you to use thier own router and prevents you from configuring it in any way? I seem to remember someone mentioning being unable to open ports on their Magnet router and Magnet support telling them to feck off in effect.

Not sure what their caps are.

After a brief prod of my brothers conenction with them, it's ADSL2 alright. THe modem is just a modem, so any router can be connected. There was no way to open ports since it's just a modem. Their caps vary up to 150GB. Not quite unlimited but plenty enough to play with.

yup, sounds like the next best thing to smart's service really. possibly higher upload too.

Magnet Intro ( EUR42.00 for 2 months, EUR52.00 other months, incl vat+line rental, with VoIP service i think ) is 4mbps/512kbps on ADSL2+ uncontended, with 100GB cap, 6 month contract

If you get this on an FTTH scheme, its 4mbps upload instead of 512kbps.

click on the order now links and enter you phone number etc, and it will show you what products they are able to offer from your exchange

https://secure.magnet.ie/site/line_check.aspx

Also on a more amusing note, Magnet have now removed the logo from their site , as we pointed out last night, looks like somebody was reading lol.

good question though i asked before but nobody had an answer, are we able to use our own modems for the magnet intro service ( no tv, just broadband ) or is there something specific requiring the magnet modem.

JNive wrote:
    If you get this on an FTTH scheme, its 4mbps upload instead of 512kbps.

click on the order now links and enter you phone number etc, and it will show you what products they are able to offer from your exchange

https://secure.magnet.ie/site/line_check.aspx
    tried that link out of curiosity and it said somethign along the lines of multi-play is not available in your area... even though on the map thing they have regarding areas covered has me fairly smack in the middle of one. So not sure what is going on there. If Smart goes, they do seem the next best option so hopefully that number check thing just isn't working well. If it's not Magnet I guess Digiweb comes next?

id suggest usuing your eircom number for that checker if you know it, unless thats what you used, then try your smart number lol

JNive wrote:
    id suggest usuing your eircom number for that checker if you know it, unless thats what you used, then try your smart number lol
    Ah! Bang on, the old Eircom number worked.... at least Magnet sounds like a viable alternative now. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement