Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email from Minister Dempsey

• 03-10-2006 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I got email from Minister Dempsey today, nothing new except for the possibility of a third phase of funding for Group Broadband schemes.

The provision of telecommunications services, including broadband, is a matter in the first instance for the private sector companies operating in a fully liberalised market. There are many areas of the country where for demographic or other reasons the private sector has been slow to respond to demand for broadband. In cases where the market is seen to have failed, my Department is addressing the investment shortfall in infrastructure using a combination of Government and ERDF funding through the Regional Broadband Programme.

27 Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) have now been completed under the first phase of the Regional Broadband Programme. The success of the first phase of the MANs has led to a second phase, with funding of €80 million earmarked between 2005 and 2007 for broadband provision in over 90 towns with a population in excess of 1,500 people.

The Department also administers a Group Broadband Scheme, which offered funding assistance for smaller towns and rural communities. To date, over 160 projects have been approved for funding. Although the most recent call for proposals has now closed, I expect to be announcing further schemes of this nature shortly.

Despite these successes there are some parts of the country where the private sector will be unable to justify the commercial provision of broadband connectivity. I am currently examining options to address the delivery of broadband services to these areas and I hope to be in a position to bring proposals to Government shortly.

There are a number of platforms for delivery of broadband, and service providers are now offering broadband by wireless, satellite, fibre or standard telephone cable in all areas of the country. My Department operates a dedicated website, www.broadband.gov.ie where broadband customers can ascertain the availability of services in their area.

Noel Dempsey T.D.
    Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources

Tel +353 1 678 2000
    Locall 1890 44 99 00
    Fax +353 1 678 2029
    Email: minister.dempsey@dcmnr.ie
    www.dcmnr.gov.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

I understand your frustration. I have loads of virtually identical stuff via replies to Dail questions and TD's letters.

Any question relating to broadband seems to get the same stock reply. I think though that he was mumbling about a replacement for GBS III (which itself had not been announced) back in June in an ENN interview.

Notice that there seems to be a difference between a 'part' as in
    there are some parts of the country where the private sector will be unable to justify the commercial provision of broadband connectivity

and an 'area' as in
    service providers are now offering broadband by wireless, satellite, fibre or standard telephone cable in all areas of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I received this same letter and am working on a response, but I could use some help.

- I can rebut the first paragraph alright, pointing out the monopoly eircom have and Noel and Comregs failure in creating an even playing field in Ireland (LLU and all).

- I need facts on the second paragraph. Have these 27 MANs been a success? I'm not aware of it. How many people have benefitted from the MANs?

-I have been screwed in respect to the third paragraph. Of the 160 projects approved how many are actually up and running? How many people have BB under this scheme?

-I'll give my own opinions on what he should do in the fourth and fifth( pointing out his website doesn't run very well for those on dial-up and was designed by muppets) and press him on what he's actually going to.

Anyway any help would be most appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I received this same letter and am working on a response, but I could use some help.

- I can rebut the first paragraph alright, pointing out the monopoly eircom have and Noel and Comregs failure in creating an even playing field in Ireland (LLU and all).
    And 60000 people with a telephone and / or broadband are being cut off as he writes. eircom have ignored his calls to restore service to these people.
    - I need facts on the second paragraph. Have these 27 MANs been a success? I'm not aware of it. How many people have benefitted from the MANs?
    The Kiltimagh and Gweedore mans are unlit and unconnected ( if not more) and provide no service to anyone . Not all 27 are lit and the minister knows that too so he lied to you.
    I have been screwed in respect to the third paragraph. Of the 160 projects approved how many are actually up and running? How many people have BB under this scheme?
    about half are running , he did not pay out until one year after approval which affected the viability of some. Some were working for 6 months before they got any money.

-I'll give my own opinions on what he should do in the fourth and fifth( pointing out his website doesn't run very well for those on dial-up and was designed by muppets) and press him on what he's actually going to.
    and the line checker does not work so nobody can get DSL off his website .

ask him to resign in the interests of the people of Ireland. If the tooth fairy appreared equipped with sellotape and pumpkin seeds that would have more of a practical impact than he ever could .

oh and where is the new communications act he has been talking about since 2004 , where are the powers for Comreg, what powers does he feel are lacking, what powers does he envisage giving them in this act of his ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

The Kiltimagh MAN is still dead even the wireless service went bankrupt. Kiltimagh IRD are supposed to have persuaded Eircom to upgrade the exchange.

There is a hope of Bohola's exchange being upgrade, it's under a 1000 lines.

Westnet are expanding their network into our area. Hopefully we will have broadband in the new year, they are just not very good at keeping our group updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The broadband website only works in Internet Explorer. Surely the governments website should follow the standards and be compatible will all web browsers or at least the most popular which would now include Mozilla Firefox.

The website used to be good but it's been falling apart recently following what seems to be a recent enough update (because I used it at the start of the summer and it was fine).

The main problem is you can't select an area on the map in any other web browser other than IE so you can't find out what broadband providers are in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

brim4brim wrote:
    The broadband website only works in Internet Explorer. Surely the governments website should follow the standards and be compatible will all web browsers or at least the most popular which would now include Mozilla Firefox.

The website used to be good but it's been falling apart recently following what seems to be a recent enough update (because I used it at the start of the summer and it was fine).

The main problem is you can't select an area on the map in any other web browser other than IE so you can't find out what broadband providers are in your area.
    Maybe you should try again. www.broadband.ie has been working fine in Firefox for me.

And as this was discussed in another thread, I know that I'm not the only one who is able to use it in Firefox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was fixed for firefox users last month bar the DSL line checker. That still shows that DSL is available to nobody....anywhere in Ireland.

Advertisement