Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB and Skype

Options
  • 03-10-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Can I use skype if I get BT BB, someone told me that I might have to get some ports open, is that something I can do myself thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not much activity on the non-Smart threads today ;)

I've used Skype on BT broadband with no problem. You may be better off getting one of the higher speed packages for the faster upload. The 128k upload on the 1M product is enough for VOIP, but it could impact download speeds if you use it a lot.

Opening a port is a simple task, log on to the router and forward the required port to your PCs local IP address. See www.portforward.com for details on how to do this with your router. I'm not sure what router BT supply these days, there was a thread about it a few days back though, a Zyxel Prestige series anyway.

Being bored, I had a look. It's a Zyxel 660 RU-T1, ADSL2+, USB and Ethernet. Here's the relevant page for Skype on portforward.com for that router.

Advertisement