Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Car Prices

• 03-10-2006 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Maybe due to more competition in Dublin.But Yeah Waterford is definitely one of the more pricey locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Baby4 wrote:

Definitely far better value in Dublin than the south east. I bought my car in Dublin as did my dad- you get a far cleaner (generally) car for less money. The competition is cu-throat in Dub. Plus the choice is far superior. Here in Kilkenny is one of the most expensive places, Waterford would be better going by the adverts, Wexford is in fact the best place in these parts (after Dublin, of course) to buy a car. There are a lot of private garages down there with high quality nearly new and secondhand cars

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have purchased 4 new cars in the last 6 years and bar one of them I have bought the other 3 in New Ross(2) and my latest car in Kilkenny which by the way I saved over 2k for a spin up the road.

As long as Bolands continue to buy up garage's in Waterford City, Waterford will continue to get harder and harder to buy or sell a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

DH is looking for a newer (not brand new) van, anyone got any recommendations of a garage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Agree with all the above, merely going 30 miles up the road to Kilkenny or 15 miles across to Ross can save you savage cash.
    That's what lack of competition ultimately does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've just been told that someone my hubby knows got the same make car, year etc and similar mileage and saved over €2000 from a garage in clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I know a guy who bought a new Audi A4 2.0TDi from O'Connors in Blackwater (outside of Enniscorthy) recently - they gave him a better trade in than a main dealer in the South East (who shall remain nameless), sold him the car cheaper and ended up buying the car from that main dealer anyway. He saved several thousand Euro by NOT going direct to the main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

A customer base of 1 million people in Dublin versus 50,000 or so in Waterford will generate far more competition and expectation of higher standards at lower prices. And in Dublin the dealers will have no agreement on price setting or creating a non-competitive market.

Disclaimer: Not saying they do in Waterford :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Baby4 wrote:
    Pretty much indefinitely, it's up to the public to vote with their feet on this one and look for a better deal elsewhere. All we can hope to do is raise awareness with our friends and family that better deals can be had elsewhere.
    Most of the garages are owned by the one company here in Waterford, they might have different names over the door, but at the end of the day if they don't rip you off in one, they'll rip you off in another.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh its been going on for years.. most if not all of the dealerships in Waterford are rip off artists.. Then add to that, that I'd say about 70% are now owned by the same group.

Sure I can understand why Dublin would be cheaper due to the larger number of dealers, more competition, larger stock turnover and a larger customer base due to a larger population, but I know of people who have bough VWs, Audi's, BMW's, Merc's, all fairly expensive marques in their relative classes and they save a fortune by going up the country a bit, even to Tipp, KK or Carlow and save thousands.

One guy I know bought a new E class merc in the midlands and saved himself nearly €10k as he got the car for a cheaper price and got a better trade in on his own model than his unfriendly local dealer was willing to give, who he said was rude, obnoxious and didnt seem to care if he made the sale or not..

If ya lost 10 sales of those a year, I'm sure you'd notice the hit in your pocket..

An uncle of mine is a fan of VAG models and called into our local dealer to ask about a new car, the salesman was busy with another customer as asked the uncle to leave his contact details as he was in a bit of a rush and then never bothered to call him back to arrange a test drive. 2 weeks later the uncle bought elsewhere.

It seems that its not only the prices that are terrible, the customer service is poor too.

Tox

ToxicPaddy, that sounds like the same dealer I was referring to in my post above. Unsurprising to hear that its more than a one-off - a reputation hard-earned.

Unfortunately the worst offending garages seem to sell the more popular "fashionable" brands and they know that people with more money than sense will stumble in tripping over themselves to pay the asking price without question. Whose fault is it? The customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The one we are talking about Dilbert get a big number of customers from Dublin who simply arent prepared to wait in line in Dublin for cars so go to dealers of the same brands down the country.

This one in particular seem to forget where they are based and seem quiet content to ignore those in the local area who were or are loyal customers. If the market ever goes bad, they will suffer as people dont forget about things like that. Afterall for most people, a car is probably the second most expensive item they will purchase in their lifetime after a house.

Tox

Advertisement