Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishing a book

Options
  • 03-10-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just completed what I consider to be a brilliant book!! My SSIA's are maturing soon and I would love to publish it. I don't want the hassle of going to agents etc. Is it possible to get circa. 50 copies printed which I could sell independantly and see does anyone like it? Does anyone have any ideas if this could be done and how much it would cost?

Cheers,
    Ted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It can be done but you would rally want to be careful about going for this option. Most printers will charege a huge amount for typesetting a book when they are only printing 50 copies. Now if it was a few thousand it would still cost a lot but the unit price would drop dramaticaly.

How long is the book (number of words)? Some authors place a chapter or two on the web and ask for critique. Agents will be able to tell you straight away if your book is likely to sell.

Have you had it proofed by anyone other than yourself? That is vital. How do you plan to market the book? There are plenty of self-publishing companies but they usually do relaly bad marketing and are only interested in your money, after that you are on your own.

Post more information and I can give you an idea of your chances of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Maybe try something like Lulu? They're apparently pretty good for independent publishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Why do you want to market it if you just want to give away 50 copies?

If it's really brilliant, you'll find a publisher; otherwise, get it printed yourself, do a couple of thousand copies - but first go and talk to Eason, the book distributor, about getting it placed in shops.

But this may very well be your SSIA money down the drain, except insofar as it makes you feel good, which of course is a good reason to do it in itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I agree completely with Luckat.

Seriously, develop a sales and marketing plan including distributors etc. Have you looked at the Writers Handbook? There is advice on publishing there.

If you want to PM me with what you are planning to do and a business plan then I will critique it and make suggestions if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You may find it difficult to get a publisher/agent later if you go down this route, as many don't accept authors that self-publish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Firstly congrats on finishing a book! I'm struggling through the opening chapters of my own!
    I don't want the hassle of going to agents etc. Is it possible to get circa. 50 copies printed which I could sell independantly and see does anyone like it?
    If people are going to like it, you can be sure an agent will take it off you hands and save you the hassle of printing the book (and paying for it). I would have thought it the dream to actually have someone want to print it.

Why not send it out first to see if anyone bites. If they don't - their loss - then maybe print it yourself as plan B.

Advertisement